Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Monday the 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

What's the story with Luke and surgery? Surely he should go ahead and have it asap and aim for a quick recovery. 6 months seems a very long time, BOD wasn't out that long - even though he does have miraculous powers of recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

chancer12 wrote: »
    What's the story with Luke and surgery? Surely he should go ahead and have it asap and aim for a quick recovery. 6 months seems a very long time, BOD wasn't out that long - even though he does have miraculous powers of recovery!

I thought he already had it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

He was in the RDS on Sat, didn't look like he'd had the surgery. As for EO'M Leinster are saying on facebook that he's out for 6 weeks, although that could be a mix-up with the fact they state in the article that he was out for 6 weeks before he came back recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

No too sure if it belongs here or in a separate thread, but I just saw that Michael Cheika has got the heave-ho from Stade.

Pity if true, I'd hate to see Rugby go down the soccer route of sacking managers before they've had time to build a team. I thought he'd done OK given the state they were in last year..

Still a Leinster legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

BOD UPDATE From Irish Times:

Rugby: The injury prognosis for the Leinster squad ahead of the Heineken Cup Final against Ulster at Twickenham on Saturday is that Gordon, D’Arcy, Cian Healy, Rob Kearney are expected to be fit while the news regarding Brian O’Driscoll is encouraging. He underwent keyhole surgery on his knee last Friday and the portents are positive.

HOLY F***

Keyhole surgery on his knee 8 days before a HEC final.....

I really REALLY hope Leinster are exaggerating the extent of his injury....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jesus christ, what state is this guy going to be in when he's 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ray jay wrote: »
    All those 450ks add up to around 3m more than the IRFU budgeted for which is nothing to be sniffed at. Imagine how much could be done with that at schools and club level.

Attributing 86% of income to the national team is probably an accounting trick, something like only counting ticket sales as being provincial income and anything else like TV rights etc as being IRFU income.

I probably should have been clearer - I also (obviously) believe that the run of Irish teams in the European competitions also adds up.450k x 7 is a lot of cash. Put in context it would probably pay for 3 top tier NIQ's each for Ulster, Leinster and Munster.

However, if as the IRFU claim only 14% of income into Irish rugby comes from provinces and Leinster alone make 3m from gates and 3m from sponsorship then an additional 3m from European competitions can't be making or breaking the IRFU.

If I was to take a stab at how the IRFU square the circle (and without looking at the reports I'd say it's something like this. A portion of provinces income (e.g. HEC knockout stages money) goes directly to the IRFU while most of it (like sponsorship and gate receipts) gets kept by province. The IRFU then add the income they get from the provinces (which is actually a fraction of the income actually flowing into the province) to every single red cent generated by the Irish team and say "the IRFU income from the provinces is 14% while the national team generates 86% of our income.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

padser wrote: »
    BOD UPDATE From Irish Times:

Rugby: The injury prognosis for the Leinster squad ahead of the Heineken Cup Final against Ulster at Twickenham on Saturday is that Gordon, D’Arcy, Cian Healy, Rob Kearney are expected to be fit while the news regarding Brian O’Driscoll is encouraging. He underwent keyhole surgery on his knee last Friday and the portents are positive.

HOLY F***

Keyhole surgery on his knee 8 days before a HEC final.....

I really REALLY hope Leinster are exaggerating the extent of his injury....

Really needs to rest this summer, not kill himself for Ireland, been selfish here I know but he will be killed in later life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

jesus christ, what state is this guy going to be in when he's 40?

By then he will have transcended into a higher being and will have no need of a physical body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Ah he will be fine by then with all his upgrads, mind you, he could be worth 6 million dollars by then.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Really needs to rest this summer, not kill himself for Ireland, been selfish here I know but he will be killed in later life!!

I imagine he wouldn't be too keen on that idea himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

cp wrote: »
    No too sure if it belongs here or in a separate thread, but I just saw that Michael Cheika has got the heave-ho from Stade.

Pity if true, I'd hate to see Rugby go down the soccer route of sacking managers before they've had time to build a team. I thought he'd done OK given the state they were in last year..

Still a Leinster legend.

Apparently he's fallen out with a lot of people there http://goo.gl/0kDlz That wouldn't be like him :P

Such a shame. He's a proven winner though and he'll have no trouble finding another top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ambid wrote: »
    Apparently he's fallen out with a lot of people there http://goo.gl/0kDlz That wouldn't be like him :P

Such a shame. He's a proven winner though and he'll have no trouble finding another top job.

B-b-b-but he put George Smith in the centre, and it was the best thing EVER!

In fairness, that game was a hell of a lot closer then I expected it to be.

He's a good coach and he doesn't need to do it for a living so I imagine he'll take his time looking for a new opportunity but I'd wager it will be down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Podge_irl wrote: »
    In fairness, that game was a hell of a lot closer then I expected it to be.

If it wasn't for the sheer amount of penalties they gave away in the second half they would have walked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Heard talk of the pro12 final against the ospreys being moved to the Aviva? Any opinion on if this will happen or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    Heard talk of the pro12 final against the ospreys being moved to the Aviva? Any opinion on if this will happen or not?

it totally wont be in aviva. Where are you hearing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It was confirmed for the RDS last week

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Scoobydooo

durkadurka wrote: »
    it totally wont be in aviva. Where are you hearing this?

Ah no worries guess I'm wrong so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I reckon O'Malley's unfortunate injury will result in Macken bursting onto the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I rate Macken as a better long term prospect at 13 myself, I'd be expecting a breakthrough season for him next year. In that regard its a particularly unfortunate injury for EOM. That said I dont think many people expected McLaughlin to force his way back ahead of Ryan and Ruddock who both performed excellently when he was out last season.

As an aside does anybody have any expectations as to how long they expect BOD to keep playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I hope they can provide some good competition for 13 Post-BOD. They are two different types of player and hopefully can offer us two different options to suit the gameplan and opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shuffol wrote: »
    As an aside does anybody have any expectations as to how long they expect BOD to keep playing?
    No idea. If he selected to tour with the Lions he could retire after it, to go out on a high or he could try to linger for the next five years trying to beat John Hayes in terms of years in the game. I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

BOD'll keep playing so long as he's competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the next World Cup.

tolosenc wrote: »
    BOD'll keep playing so long as he's competitive. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the next World Cup.

He should destroy the Aussies like he did back in '01 and then bow out IMO. A Lions Series win after 3 attempts would be a fitting way to end a fantastic career.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He has said before that he plans to retire after the lions series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

He should destroy the Aussies like he did back in '01 and then bow out IMO. A Lions Series win after 3 attempts would be a fitting way to end a fantastic career.

If he makes the tour next year it would be his fourth attempt.

If he makes the tour next year it would be his fourth attempt.

meant to say 3 failed attempts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement