Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wish I had 18 million lying around so I could call it "Thomond Park" because its the real fortress now!!

(At minimum I'd love to call it D4TRESS)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There are 3 centres all in contention for the Lions 13 jersey. BOD, Davies and Tuilagi. Right now you'd have to think that Davies would be starting for the Lions.

I'd love to see the Roberts/BOD pairing again. But I think Roberts/Davies may get the nod for the test matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gwan then, predictions...

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Thorn, Cullen, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, McFadden, D'Arcy, BOD, Nacewa, Kearney

Cronin, VDM, White, Toner, Jennings, Boss, Madigan, Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

As above except he will go for sob at six up against ferris.
    Jennings at seven.

durkadurka wrote: »
    As above except he will go for sob at six up against ferris.
    Jennings at seven.
    I really don't want to see Jennings at 7 against that back row from the beginning. They're too powerful

• Advertisement

I really don't want to see Jennings at 7 against that back row from the beginning. They're too powerful

and we need to sort the lineout. Locky is the man for that

and we need to sort the lineout. Locky is the man for that
    Yes I agree.

Although has anyone else noticed that he has been far less involved in the lineout since Thorn arrived? I don't understand it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The Volkswagen Stadium.................

*shudders*

:(

Yes I agree.

Although has anyone else noticed that he has been far less involved in the lineout since Thorn arrived? I don't understand it myself.

I think they both jump in the same role (on other teams basically), so could well be stepping on each others toes. You'd imagine that Thorn has been trusted to get the calls right, and that McLaughlin is probably frustrated that he's had to play the secondary role while Thorn takes "his calls".

However, I'd prefer to see McLaughlin jumping in his normal position in the lineout, even if it meant we no longer utilise Thorn as much.

We're pretty blessed with lineout jumpers at Leinster, Toner and McLaughlin are top notch, and Cullen is an excellent operator and organiser. It's the grunt of Thorn around the park that we miss badly (Hines :(). It would probably be more useful for Thorn and McLaughlin to swap roles (perhaps even in-game) in the lineouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

We're pretty blessed with lineout jumpers at Leinster, Toner and McLaughlin are top notch, and Cullen is an excellent operator and organiser. It's the grunt of Thorn around the park that we miss badly (Hines :(). It would probably be more useful for Thorn and McLaughlin to swap roles (perhaps even in-game) in the lineouts.

No discussion of the Leinster lineout should exclude Heaslip, I think he is totally underrated in this area.

On the McLaughlin v Jennings debate, I would go for McLaughlin myself. His lineout jumping on Ulster's throw will be hugely important but he has also been excellent in the 'first receiver' position and is a ferocious tackler.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How much does the horse show down in the RDS bring in now?

Surely Leinster is bringing in more money for them at this stage? If they are then rugby and not horses should be their top priority. It's just good business...

Timing of the Ireland v Barbarians game is unfortunate, it would be great to see Isa v Kearney in a head-to-head duel for 'best full-back in Leinster/Ireland/Europe'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

prospect wrote: »
    The Volkswagen Stadium.................

*shudders*

:(

better than the Ryanair Arena :o

VW Golf Stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

andrewdcs wrote: »
    better than the Ryanair Arena :o

VW Golf Stand?

Surely the Ryanair Arena wouldn't actually be in Leinster?

Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its needed to get money to extend the stadium. You almost have to worry if Ulster selling naming rights for Ravenhill at a similar time could prevent either stadium getting the money it deserves for the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

If Ryanair get the deal will we have to scramble for our seats every time? Or pay a tenner extra a half to reserve them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

And Mick O'Driscoll as well

bigfeller wrote: »
    If Ryanair get the deal will we have to scramble for our seats every time? Or pay a tenner extra a half to reserve them?

And pints at the bar will be replaced by vodka 'baggies'

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You've got to say Thorn's poorest attributes are in the lineout. He doesn't seem to have the speed anymore to pull dummies and get back to jumper successfully, as pointed out in the Clermont match, but also isn't a great jumper. He's purely in the squad for muscle around the breakdown, which is much needed as it's freed up our backrow a little bit. Also his scrum powers are undeniable.

But I think Joe will have caught onto this, and for that reason I'd go with irishbucsfan's starting lineup. Not only for line out reasons, but I think having Locky in the pack is like having an extra lock there, he's an abrasive, niggily player. Whilst he might not have the power to be an engine room type player, his work in the backrow makes up for that - breakdown work, he's a nightmare for opposition in the lineout, and has a huge work rate. He's generally quite hard to put down in the tackle as well, which can help when we want to try and tire the opposition out....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

.ak wrote: »
    You've got to say Thorn's poorest attributes are in the lineout. He doesn't seem to have the speed anymore to pull dummies and get back to jumper successfully, as pointed out in the Clermont match, but also isn't a great jumper. He's purely in the squad for muscle around the breakdown, which is much needed as it's freed up our backrow a little bit. Also his scrum powers are undeniable.

He's not as bad a jumper as people think. He has very decent hands and, whilst he isn't particularly quick off the ground, you can level the same accustation at a number of locks. You don't call a must win ball in the last minutes of a WC final on someone that isn't a solid jumper. He was also the top jumper overall in the knock out stages of the WC.

GerM wrote: »
    He's not as bad a jumper as people think. He has very decent hands and, whilst he isn't particularly quick off the ground, you can level the same accustation at a number of locks. You don't call a must win ball in the last minutes of a WC final on someone that isn't a solid jumper. He was also the top jumper overall in the knock out stages of the WC.

True, just looks a little off the pace in his Leinster games at lineout time. Having said that I'm no expert! :P Could it be an issue with the lifters? It's just I've seen him been a bit late/too low for several of the throws he's been receiver for.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

Ryanairena has a ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ryanairena has a ring to it

They'll start charging to use the bathrooms! :pac:

It's most likely going to be a current sponsor, and someone that can actually make that kind of bid. I can't see the likes of Ryanair thinking they'll turn a profit from it. They get free advertising for pulling stunts like shutting down their website this weekend.

I'd say BoI will probably be the most likely candidate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

...I'd say BoI will probably be the most likely candidate...

Not sure about that. BOI have been massively bailed out by the taxpayer and if they were to spend €18million on a high profile stadium it would likely be seen as a waste of taxpayers money and get lots of media criticism. Spending that on a new stadium while the bank is putting pressure on ordinary families to make mortgage payments could be a PR nightmare for the Bank and the government.

I wonder if Rabo Bank are interested? They are trying to increase market penetration in Ireland as savings rates are so high here, and they do have the cash. Liberty Insurance have a high profile marketing campaign - could we have two Liberty Stadiums?! :p

Either way it's great news to see progress on this. The old place is a brilliant location but badly needs an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm wondering if they're looking to keep on the horse show every year, will they able to redevelop the stadium properly? For the horse show to take place I'm fairly sure they need to be able to remove the north and south stands meaning they'll still have to be temporary stands after the redevelopment, which is a bit of a shame. So are they only planning to redevelop the Anglesea Stand/facilities/etc?

Jello wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they're looking to keep on the horse show every year, will they able to redevelop the stadium properly? For the horse show to take place I'm fairly sure they need to be able to remove the north and south stands meaning they'll still have to be temporary stands after the redevelopment, which is a bit of a shame. So are they only planning to redevelop the Anglesea Stand/facilities/etc?

AFAIK it's just the Anglesea stand that's being redeveloped.

I hope they talk to the architects involved in Thomond, probably the best 'small' stadium I've ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I hope they talk to the architects involved in Thomond, probably the best 'small' stadium I've ever been to.

Think it was Murray O'Laoire and they are a casualty of the recession

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The horse shown isn't going anywhere so any redevelopment will have to take place with that in mind. I'd like for the South stand to get a roof as my season ticket is there buy I imagine that would make removal of it trickier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement