Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

You have to think would Leinster be 3 times champions of Europe if Cullen and Jennings had known they weren't actually going to get that international shot when they were deciding to come back from Leicster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

You have to think would Leinster be 3 times champions of Europe if Cullen and Jennings had known they weren't actually going to get that international shot when they were deciding to come back from Leicster

I'm sure they would have come home if they had known they would win 3 HEC and about 15 caps each as opposed to stating in Leinster.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

No you don't, what are you on about?

Nacewa is supposed to be playing for the BaaBaas next weekend, does this mean he's not going to be playing in the RDP12 final? Would be very disappointed if that were the case.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Isa will be playing in the Rabo final, once he's not injured, He's been named in the babas squad, but I think he's safe for next week. BTW who actually took over as Captain when Leo went off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The Barbarians squad is for 3 games. I assume Nacewa won't be joining up with them for another few days. They've a 33 man squad so have plenty of options.

Makes sense so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Ginny wrote: »
    Isa will be playing in the Rabo final, once he's not injured, He's been named in the babas squad, but I think he's safe for next week. BTW who actually took over as Captain when Leo went off?

Heaslip I think. He's the captain in waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

danthefan wrote: »
    No you don't, what are you on about?

He means:
    1) Cullen & Jennings came home to further their international prospects; if they had known that they would be consistently overlooked for international selection, would they have bothered coming back?
    2) If Cullen & Jennings hadn't come back, would we have won three Heineken Cups?

Interesting point; hard one to call.

He means:
    1) Cullen & Jennings came home to further their international prospects; if they had known that they would be consistently overlooked for international selection, would they have bothered coming back?
    2) If Cullen & Jennings hadn't come back, would we have won three Heineken Cups?

I know what he means, they're both Leinster lads who came up through the ranks and returned to their home province. Hardly shocking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would seriously doubt it. Both of them were cornerstones of the side that started the ball rolling and evolved into what it is today. They were representative of the Cheika ethos and approach where they took no BS from any opposition players and were niggly and aggressive to the bitter end. It was that mentality that dragged Leinster to the HEC in 2009. They weren't the best side in Europe that season but they were the hardest working.

GerM wrote: »
    Would seriously doubt it. Both of them were cornerstones of the side that started the ball rolling and evolved into what it is today. They were representative of the Cheika ethos and approach where they took no BS from any opposition players and were niggly and aggressive to the bitter end. It was that mentality that dragged Leinster to the HEC in 2009. They weren't the best side in Europe that season but they were the hardest working.

Had the best defence. That's what won it. Kurt McQuilkin, probably wouldn't have won it without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I know what he means, they're both Leinster lads who came up through the ranks and returned to their home province. Hardly shocking stuff.

That's not the question he's asking, he's asking whether we would have won all these titles if they hadn't come back; I'd go along with GerM and say no, they wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whenever

He means:

Not worth thinking about unless you know who might have been brought in if Cullen and Jennings had stayed at leicester. Say Bob Casey?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Given they were playing in the HEC final with Leicster the year they decided to come back it was a pretty damn big decision to leave one of the biggest teams in europe to come home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

That's not the question he's asking, he's asking whether we would have won all these titles if they hadn't come back; I'd go along with GerM and say no, they wouldn't have.

I'd say yes they would have. Leinster had all the ingredients but were just a few players short. If they hadn't gotten Jennings and Cullen they would have gotten someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

I'd say yes they would have. Leinster had all the ingredients but were just a few players short. If they hadn't gotten Jennings and Cullen they would have gotten someone else.

Rather irrelevant argument. You may as well question what if, in the blood-gate game, what if one of those Harlequins drop goals went over.

We'd have both Cullen and Jennings and could very well be sitting on zero European cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Profiler wrote: »
    Rather irrelevant argument. You may as well question what if, in the blood-gate game, what if one of those Harlequins drop goals went over.

We'd have both Cullen and Jennings and could very well be sitting on zero European cups.

Agree with this. The margins are so fine you can't isolate just one variable. Clermont were milimeters from winning the semi against Leinster this year, a bounce of the ball potentially cost Ireland a grand slam under Eddie O'Sullivan - the margins are so incredibly small and there are so very many variables.

The inches we need are everywhere around us... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRgeIhaFi44

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

ambid wrote: »
    The inches we need are everywhere around us... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRgeIhaFi44

Oh god that is awful... :rolleyes: the Al Pachino original is good but typical of RTE to take something good put their own spin on it and turn into a turd you couldn't polish if you had all the Mr Sheen in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For as much as I don't like Justin Marshall there's an interesting story at the end of this article. I'm assuming it's about Jamie. Not sure how true it is. What does anyone else make of it...
    Leinster has an Irish test loosie with a reputation among his team-mates for being way too opinionated, especially during training.

The story goes that Brad Thorn had been there for only two weeks when at training one night the loosie started having too much to say again.

Thorn apparently withdrew that gnarled head of his from out of a scrum and in that gravelly voice nobody can imitate: "Save the energy for the scrum mate. I can't even feel any weight from you. Less talk, more pushing mate!"

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/6955685/All-Blacks-will-crush-misplaced-Irish-confidence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

molloyjh wrote: »
    For as much as I don't like Justin Marshall there's an interesting story at the end of this article. I'm assuming it's about Jamie. Not sure how true it is. What does anyone else make of it...

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/6955685/All-Blacks-will-crush-misplaced-Irish-confidence

That article is such a crock of ****e

I'd love to know White's source for that story

Furthermore I think this whole SH belittling of the HC is down solely to jealousy

Most of the must know deep down how flawed the s15 is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Could you expand on this?

Teferi wrote: »
    Could you expand on this?

Ok, well firstly I think there's too many teams in it

secondly I find the standard of defensive play is almost non existent

You get big hits alright, but it seems like a lot of teams forgo bread and butter tackling which leads to ridiculous scorelines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah I know it's a try fest with some dodgy defence from watching it on Saturday mornings but I didn't know there was a debate around the number of teams in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Losing teams in test and NH rugby rarely score 30+ points, buch it's a relatively common occurrence in Super Rugby.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Losing teams in test and NH rugby rarely score 30+ points, buch it's a relatively common occurrence in Super Rugby.

Exactly, and they'll turn around and say it's great entertainment but constant line breaks get boring fast

Much better seeing a good solid defense being broken down 3 or 4 times (like yesterday) by great lines

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Furthermore I think this whole SH belittling of the HC is down solely to jealousy

Its nothing to do with jealousy but more to do with the fact that of the 9 games in June between NH and SH teams if HN teams win 2 of these it'll be one of the more successful June results in a long time. Possible ever!

In 2010 when Ireland went to NZ and Oz, Wales went to NZ, Eng went to OZ, and France and Italy went to SA there was 1 win from 9 games for NH teams.

They belittle us because they regular beat us. Nothing to do with the S15.

Also where did the headline "All Blacks will crush misplaced Irish confidence" come from in the Justin Marshall piece? The only thing you could say we're confident in is in losing all three games!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with jealousy but more to do with the fact that of the 9 games in June between NH and SH teams if HN teams win 2 of these it'll be one of the more successful June results in a long time. Possible ever!

In 2010 when Ireland went to NZ and Oz, Wales went to NZ, Eng went to OZ, and France and Italy went to SA there was 1 win from 9 games for NH teams.

They belittle us because they regular beat us. Nothing to do with the S15.

Also where did the headline "All Blacks will crush misplaced Irish confidence" come from in the Justin Marshall piece? The only thing you could say we're confident in is in losing all three games!

+1 on this post, thats its spot on really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Possibly the best paragraph I've read on rugby this year:
    Right on cue, as though attempting to prove the point, Jamie Heaslip walks past and launches into his ode to this unique secondrow. “He’s Thorny – Thorny, Thorny, Thorny ... so Thorny – Thorny, Thorny, Thorny.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0521/1224316453689.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement