Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Leinster lads have been out since saturday but hopefully that stops today.

I would like to see something like this
    1.VDM
    2.Cronin
    3.White
    4.Thorn
    5.Cullen
    6.McLaughlin
    7.O'Brien
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Nacewa
    12.D'arcy
    13.O'Driscoll
    14.McFadden
    15.Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

VDM, Toner, D Kearney to come in for me with Healy, Cullen and D'arcy dropping to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

11 of the team that started on Saturday started the semi final against The Warriors.The front row maybe juggled around but I dont see too much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Definitely think we should stick with Sexton for this one. Madigan played 80 minutes against the Ospreys in the last defeat as part of a strong side and wasn't great. Think we should go for as strong a set piece side as possible and play it tight and keep the board ticking over. Fast and loose against a pumped up Ospreys is playing with fire. Haven't heard how RK is after the weekend. Didn't look comfortable ahead of coming off.

1. VDM
    2. Cronin
    3. Ross
    4. Thorn
    5. Toner
    6. McLaughlin
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Boss (if not fit, Reddan)
    10. Sexton
    11. DK
    12. Darce
    13. BOD
    14. McFadden
    15. Nacewa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Without knowing whose fit and not too knackered its tough to predict what the team will be, but this is my guess at Shmidt's team:

1. Van der Merwe
    2. Cronin
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. Thorn
    6. McLaughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. D Kearney
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Nacewa
    15. R Kearney

16. Healy
    17. Strauss
    18. White
    19. Cullen
    20. O'Brien
    21. Boss (Cooney if Boss isn't fit)
    22. Madigan
    23. Conway/D'Arcy

Last chance of the season to second guess Schmidt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd like to see...

15. R. Kearney
    14. Nacewa
    13. BOD
    12. McF
    11. D. Kearney
    10. Sexton
    09. Reddan
    08. Heaslip
    07. Jennings
    06. Locky
    05. Thorn
    04. Toner
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. HvDM

16. Cronin
    17. Healy
    18. White
    19. Cullen
    20. SOB/Auv'a
    21. Cooney
    22. Madigan
    23. Conway

I'd like to see Healy and SOB on the bench for resting purposes. Also they always make huge impacts from the bench. If SOB was knackered like last year I'd rather see Auva on the bench. Same with Cullen. As for SH.. I don't know if Boss is fit or not? But wouldn't it be great for Cooney to get a chance of revenge...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Higher wrote: »
    Leinster lads have been out since saturday but hopefully that stops today.
    I'd wonder about that after last year, sure the team didn't touch down on Sat. night till 2:30am, plus I know some have gone straight back to college to study for exams. With the Magners final outcome last year I would say they've been under a tighter rein this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he went for the same 23 again (injury permitting). Schmidt seems to be taking the possibility of the double very seriously and the fact that they have an extra day's turn around indicates to me he will make the minimum of changes. Maybe Dave Kearney into the back 3 with one of the starting centres from Saturday dropping out but don't think we can afford to rest SOB. He was simply brilliant on Saturday.

I'd agree that we'll see minimal changes. Assuming no injuries I'd expect nothing other than the kind of changes we're used to seeing, e.g. VDM for Healy. This game is important to the squad. We can't lose 3 Celtic League finals in a row, 2 of which were at home to the Ospreys. And we can't lose to them 3 times this season either. They are the only team we've played and not beaten. If we really are the greatest "club" squad of the professional era then we cannot lose this game. End of. And the Ospreys are a serious threat. We need our top players at their best this weekend.

I think we'll see...

1. VDM
    2. Strauss
    3. Ross
    4. Cullen
    5. Thorn
    6. Locky
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan (possibly Boss if he's fit)
    10. Sexton
    11. Isa
    12. Darce
    13. BOD
    14. McFadden
    15. R Kearney

16. Cronin
    17. Healy
    18. White
    19. Toner
    20. Jennings
    21. Cooney (if Boss is fit then I expect him to start with Reddan on the bench)
    22. Madigan
    23. D Kearney

...and a final 20-30 mins with Healy, Cronin, Jennings, Reddan, Madigan and D Kearney all coming in to up the tempo.

Of course what the bloody hell do I know, Schmidt could play it totally differently. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

ah right fair enough. Cullen was taken off pretty early on Saturday-maybe he's carrying something. I would have no problem going in with Toner and Thorn.

Really? I honestly think this Sundays game is going to be alot harder than last Saturdays. We will need Sexton for this game.

Would agree, even allowing for the fact that Munster were woeful against Ospreys. The Osprey's back three were electric, we need all the strength we have. Having said that I'd love to see Madigan get time towards the end - if the result is going our way!

Ginny wrote: »
    I'd wonder about that after last year, sure the team didn't touch down on Sat. night till 2:30am, plus I know some have gone straight back to college to study for exams. With the Magners final outcome last year I would say they've been under a tighter rein this year.

I know a good few of the lads on the team. Most of the colleges are finished for exams. They've definitely been out every night I was only talking to someone yesterday who was saying he was in bits.

• Advertisement

Higher wrote: »
    I know a good few of the lads on the team. Most of the colleges are finished for exams. They've definitely been out every night I was only talking to someone yesterday who was saying he was in bits.

Would be a bit disappointed if this was the case. They threw away last years Magners League for the same reason.

Last year they were drinking up until Wednesday night though and the match was on Saturday.

I don't begrudge them going out Saturday/Sunday/Monday with the extra day turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Would be a bit disappointed if this was the case. They threw away last years Magners League for the same reason.

O'Driscoll was on Newstalk last night saying he'd had two nights out anyway. Ah f**k it, they wouldn't be human if they didn't go out and celebrate, but probably makes it even more logical to get a bit of rotation going for this weekend.

Start with:
    VDM, Cronin, Ross
    Thorn, Toner
    Kev, Jennings, Auva'a
    Boss, Sexton
    Carr, Ferg, O'Driscoll, D Kearney
    Nacewa

Eight changes and still a strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I have no problem with the squad going out on the lash for a few days, fair play for back to back H Cups. My issue would lie in the fact they were all heard to be saying on Saturday that the season wasn't over, they have one more match to win and they were hurting after last year and wanted this one and then they proceed to drink solid for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

they have one more match to win and they were hurting after last year

Last year AND the year before!

I have no problem with the squad going out on the lash for a few days, fair play for back to back H Cups. My issue would lie in the fact they were all heard to be saying on Saturday that the season wasn't over, they have one more match to win and they were hurting after last year and wanted this one and then they proceed to drink solid for three days.

Ah here. Source for that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Any of the players I was talking to went out again Sunday night (after having been in the Burlo for a few hours that morning), and that was it. They had Monday off to recover and were back in training today, AFAIA. And that was by no means all of them. I was in the Burlo myself on Sat night/Sunday morning, and a lot of the squad left after an hour or two. We were almost last to leave and there was only a few harcore stragglers left at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Last year they were out on the Monday night too with the game on sat.
    So assuming they didn't go mad last night they have two days more than last year to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Winters wrote: »
    Last year AND the year before!
    The year before they hadn't won the Heineken cup so they weren't out for a few nights in the build up to it.
    Ah here. Source for that??

Hands up, mea culpa, three days solid may have been an exaggeration. I have heard through reliable sources that Sat and Sun were lost to drinking. You've then got to admit that Monday was a day lost to hangovers. I just don't think that's good prep for a final, particularly when it's against an Ospreys team on fire at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The year before they hadn't won the Heineken cup so they weren't out for a few nights in the build up to it.

I meant they will be hurting after losing last years final just as much as the year before. Not referring to any sort of hangover just hurting after losing at home as any team would be. Losing finalists in the last two years will be firmly in everyone's minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

Squad update:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10015.php

Didn't know Ruddock had hip injury/surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see many changes, Ospreys are flying at the moment and will be tough to beat.

I don't see many changes, Ospreys are flying at the moment and will be tough to beat.

The problem for The Ospreys-a bit like Ulster last weekend-is that they won't have played for 2 weeks. Might take a bit of an edge of their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Ospreys are flying at the moment

Shameful pun there thomond! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

ongarite wrote: »
    Squad update:
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10015.php

Didn't know Ruddock had hip injury/surgery.

Jeez, did you notice Madigans in line for his 50th Appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

OMG I was just sitting in a quiet cafe in Ranelagh beside a table with Jaimie Heaslip, Fergus McFadden and Eoin O'Malley ....... Awesome !! No one recognised them. Jaimie was using crutches. Had a quick word .... BRILLIANT !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

durkadurka wrote: »
    Jeez, did you notice Madigans in line for his 50th Appearance?

He should move, he's not getting enough gametime behind Sexton

Piliger wrote: »
    OMG I was just sitting in a quiet cafe in Ranelagh beside a table with Jaimie Heaslip, Fergus McFadden and Eoin O'Malley ....... Awesome !! No one recognised them. Jaimie was using crutches. Had a quick word .... BRILLIANT !!!
    Sorry, Heaslip was on crutches?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I presume he meant Eoin. He'll be on crutches for a long while now I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Yes. Though he could clearly walk around. But he arrived walking with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement