Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    I was confused as to why he wasn't given more opportunities this season. Perhaps it was because he was only just back into rugby from studies. From the games I did see of him, he looked solid. Hopefully now that his studies have been put to one side, he will make strides on the pitch.

Extended period of mass-building I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

chancer12 wrote: »
    Did he have an injury or was this 'wear and tear'? I really think they're playing an awful lot of rugby and the winning teams in particular are having very little break from a game that is becoming increasingly more physical each year. Hate to think what their bodies will be like when they reach middle age.

Recurrence of his neck injury required an operation I believe. I get the impression it's make or break for him at the moment. There is the suggestion that his career is in jeopardy because of it.

However, I usually take these kinds of rumours with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Recurrence of his neck injury required an operation I believe. I get the impression it's make or break for him at the moment. There is the suggestion that his career is in jeopardy because of it.

However, I usually take these kinds of rumours with a large pinch of salt.

Hope so, hate to see talented players having to retire from injury. Always concerned about the personal (rather than financial) cost to them. Luke and a number of his age group have no qualifications. Those that came before like Hickie/Shaggy all have degrees behind them and the upcoming players are being accommodated by the universities to a huge extent now but there is a cohort in their early twenties that are entirely dependent on their professional career and that's not a comfortable place to be. I wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Hope so, hate to see talented players having to retire from injury. Always concerned about the personal (rather than financial) cost to them. Luke and a number of his age group have no qualifications. Those that came before like Hickie/Shaggy all have degrees behind them and the upcoming players are being accommodated by the universities to a huge extent now but there is a cohort in their early twenties that are entirely dependent on their professional career and that's not a comfortable place to be. I wish him well.

He's currently doing a business degree afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

There's a big emphasis on players getting an education whilst playing now. Fitz was doing a degree in economics, I think. Pretty sure he completed it and was definitely through the first couple of years. Kearney and Heaslip both have degrees and masters. Sexton took some time off from college but finished his commerce degree this year I think. Very few players don't enroll in college and they're encouraged to see it through. Healy, off the top of my head, is one of the only players of that generation who left college as he didn't enjoy it but something tells me that he's going to be alright financially. If anything, there's far more emphasis on those who came through at the start of professionalism to get an education than the likes of Darce who came through 12 years ago and went back to college later in life.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    There's a big emphasis on players getting an education whilst playing now. Fitz was doing a degree in economics, I think. Pretty sure he completed it and was definitely through the first couple of years. Kearney and Heaslip both have degrees and masters. Sexton took some time off from college but finished his commerce degree this year I think. Very few players don't enroll in college and they're encouraged to see it through. Healy, off the top of my head, is one of the only players of that generation who left college as he didn't enjoy it but something tells me that he's going to be alright financially. If anything, there's far more emphasis on those who came through at the start of professionalism to get an education than the likes of Darce who came through 12 years ago and went back to college later in life.

lazy bastard, I had Advanced Corporate Finance with him in 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

lazy bastard, I had Advanced Corporate Finance with him in 2009!

He might have had a few distractions;)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

GerM wrote: »

According to the tweet machine DJ Church has his fingers in plenty of pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I dunno which of ye are big guns in the supporters club, but I will happily throw a few quid towards a banner welcoming Clermont fans to Dublin for those who travel to the pool game, I believe we owe them a bit of a welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

What are the odds on getting a faimly Season Ticket for either north or south stand in 2 weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0612/1224317784582.html

Poor Luke will be out for 6 months, and Leinster are now negotiating his contract.

Feel sorry for him, but the positives are that he's still young, and he@ll be half way on the road to recovery when the new season starts. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's a very long recovery period. Hoping for the best, can't afford to see another Irish player retire due to injury this year.

Poor Luke will be out for 6 months, and Leinster are now negotiating his contract.

Feel sorry for him, but the positives are that he's still young, and he@ll be half way on the road to recovery when the new season starts. Best of luck to him.

I'm just ****ing glad we're in charge of the contract now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Poor auld Luke has been having a mare for the past 2 seasons or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

His body will heal but mentally this has to be devastating. I don't know if anyone on here has gone through an injury filled period but it's a very dark place and the biggest challenge is in your mind.

I wish him the best cos he's going to need it :(

The IRFU haven't come out of this very well at all though.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Why? They have finally learnt a lesson imo. If it's broke, don't pay it what it's worth fixed just because it once was fixed.

Leamy got himself a 2 year central contract even though he was crocked, old and off form.

Fitzgerald hasn't been a mainstay of the national side for a long time, injury related and also not injury related.

At some stage, the central contracting is going to have to get pretty damn mean imo. This is a positive step. It's just unlucky for Luke that he is the first to bear the axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

His body will heal but mentally this has to be devastating. I don't know if anyone on here has gone through an injury filled period but it's a very dark place and the biggest challenge is in your mind.

I wish him the best cos he's going to need it :(

Shame for Luke, wouldn't be my favourite of players but always hate seeing recurring injuries in anyone.

Why have the IRFU not come out of this well?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why? They have finally learnt a lesson imo. If it's broke, don't pay it what it's worth fixed just because it once was fixed.

Leamy got himself a 2 year central contract even though he was crocked, old and off form.

Fitzgerald hasn't been a mainstay of the national side for a long time, injury related and also not injury related.

At some stage, the central contracting is going to have to get pretty damn mean imo. This is a positive step. It's just unlucky for Luke that he is the first to bear the axe.

Who leaked his pay cut? It's certainly not in Fitzgeralds interest for that to become public knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

The one thing that they shouldn't have done is release how much he was earning. Other than that, would agree with what your saying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Fintan Drury has a tendancy to release figures to the press. I would imagine it was him rather than Maurice Dowling or anyone else in the union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fitz was having a very good season for Leinster until his injury.

If he can get back to to that form when he returns then he'll have no problem getting an improved contract from the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Clegg wrote: »
    Fitz was having a very good season for Leinster until his injury.

If he can get back to to that form when he returns then he'll have no problem getting an improved contract from the IRFU.
    Hopefully 6 months is the worst case scenario. Was reading an interview with Drico at the w/end where he said he did 10 K on a bike the day after surgery! Hopefully Luke has had the op by now and is beginning to recover. He seems to have waited quite some time before taking this option and I hope he comes back fit and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Bet he's sorry he didn't take the 200k contract the IRFU offered.... What kind of money can he get with a non-centralised contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Bet he's sorry he didn't take the 200k contract the IRFU offered.... What kind of money can he get with a non-centralised contract?

less than half that I'd imagine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

According to Jackman's book, he was on a provincial contract of about €150,000 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

A great way to encourage loyalty to club & country. It would be in the interests of any player to get out quick and make the big bucks before they get crocked, because the IRFU isn't going to look after you. If Ferris had any sense he would be off to France now to sort out his pension before its too late.

Imagine you got injured doing your job and then they turned around and told you that you were having your wage reduced based on that injury! It seems cruel to me.

Although saying that I can see where the IRFU are coming from. However I would question the intelligence if allowing a young talent like Fitzgerald to walk away.

The business of rugby is still a business at the end of the day.

The business of rugby is still a business at the end of the day.
    Not in sport, that's a cliché I don't agree to, there are exceptions left right and center between the sports world and the business world.

If the IRFU was like any other organisation Fitz could sue them through the gills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Not in sport, that's a cliché I don't agree to, there are exceptions left right and center between the sports world and the business world.

If the IRFU was like any other organisation Fitz could sue them through the gills!

That was one of the first things that came to mind when reading the article. The IRFU don't look good from these central contract issues that have come out in the press; D'arcy getting an extra two years then rescinding an offer for Fitz after the best form of his career from September to January.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement