Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

We don't have a game until the Wolfhounds are done, so the shouldn't effect us with just whoever is kept around for the main squad missing.

Wolfhounds play on the Jan 28th, and Fri 4th.

After Racing we don't have a game until the 10th of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'd say McFadden and O'Malley are definites for a good bit of game time during the 6N. Might see some of the younger players like Conway and Madigan get a run or two as well.

RMD wrote: »
    I'd say McFadden and O'Malley are definites for a good bit of game time during the 6N. Might see some of the younger players like Conway and Madigan get a run or two as well.

It'll be interesting to see what our second row is like during the 6N, I'd be hopeful Toner or Cullen get released to play if they're not involved in the Irish 22 but with Hines gone too we're likely to see a bit of Eoin Sheriff and Ciaran Ruddock - should be interesting.

15. Nacewa
    14. Conway
    13. O'Malley
    12. McFadden
    11. D. Kearney
    10. Madigan/Berne
    9. Boss

1. van der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Newland
    4. Sheriff
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin/Ryan
    7. Ryan/Jennings
    8. Ruddock/Keogh

16. JHW
    17. McGrath
    18. Shawe
    19. C. Ruddock
    20. See above.
    21. POD
    22. Berne/Madigan
    23. Morris

Not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Last year anyone who isn't make the 22 was released back to provinces so we should still be able to field decent teams. It's a worry with. So many people looking like theyll be in the squad. Last year we won every game during the 6n and it set us up for winning the 'league'

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Thought on team for tomorrow?
    Reckon it'll be VDM, Strauss, Ross, Hine + Cullen, SOB, Jenno, Heaslip, Boss, Sexton, Fitz, Darce, BOD, Shaggy Nacewa.

Tough on MCF, but I think Fitz needs the game time.

No way will it be anything less than a 100% committed performance, cant see Joe letting any complacency set in. A home QF is huge.
    Also good to hear Johnny on The Last Word saying the same.

CouchSmart wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what our second row is like during the 6N, I'd be hopeful Toner or Cullen get released to play if they're not involved in the Irish 22 but with Hines gone too we're likely to see a bit of Eoin Sheriff and Ciaran Ruddock - should be interesting.

15. Nacewa
    14. Conway
    13. O'Malley
    12. McFadden
    11. D. Kearney
    10. Madigan/Berne
    9. Boss

1. van der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Newland
    4. Sheriff
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin/Ryan
    7. Ryan/Jennings
    8. Ruddock/Keogh

16. JHW
    17. McGrath
    18. Shawe
    19. C. Ruddock
    20. See above.
    21. POD
    22. Berne/Madigan
    23. Morris

Not too shabby.

No doubt about it, we certainly have strength in depth. Not a great team by any standards, but certainly strong enough to hold our own against any other Magners league team. I'd go with Madigan over Berne though, I'd like to see Madigan get the game time and experience. I'd like to see POD get some game time as well but I just don't think he'll compete with Boss.

We should be fine at home to the Italians anyhow, Cardiff away might be a challenge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

CouchSmart wrote: »

15. Nacewa
    14. Conway
    13. O'Malley
    12. McFadden
    11. D. Kearney
    10. Madigan/Berne
    9. Boss

1. van der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Newland
    4. Sheriff
    5. Toner
    6. McLoughlin/Ryan
    7. Ryan/Jennings
    8. Ruddock/Keogh

16. JHW
    17. McGrath
    18. Shawe
    19. C. Ruddock
    20. See above.
    21. POD
    22. Berne/Madigan
    23. Morris

Not too shabby.

I'd be worried about Newland. (ie. Hurry up Stan :pac:)

Also, what's the story with EO'D? Would have thought he'd be picked over Sherriff.

To be honest there's a good chance shaggy and Leo will be in the team too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

wixfjord wrote: »
    Thought on team for tomorrow?
    Reckon it'll be VDM, Strauss, Ross, Hine + Cullen, SOB, Jenno, Heaslip, Boss, Sexton, Fitz, Darce, BOD, Shaggy Nacewa.

Tough on MCF, but I think Fitz needs the game time.

Dropping McF after his performances doesn't strike me as the kind of management Schmidt would partake in. If anything his decision to drop Fitz for the previous game til D'Arcy's injury was vindicated. Unless his hand is quite literally forced by Kidney then McF is going to stay ahead of Fitz for the Racing game.

Also, what's the story with EO'D? Would have thought he'd be picked over Sherriff.

Indeed, I always forget him.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Dropping McF after his performances doesn't strike me as the kind of management Schmidt would partake in. If anything his decision to drop Fitz for the previous game til D'Arcy's injury was vindicated. Unless his hand is quite literally forced by Kidney then McF is going to stay ahead of Fitz for the Racing game.

The fact as well that McFadden has proved he can come through in the big games when required shows he not only deserves the spot, but he should be out starting ahead of Fitzgerald. His performances in the Heineken cup games this year have been consistently good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

and dont forget mariano galarza. he made a good fist of things against ireland in fairness to him but hasnt had much game time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Leinster A team to face Currie

LEINSTER:

15: Niall Morris
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Eoin O’Malley
    11: David Kearney
    10: Ian McKinley
    9: Paul O’Donohoe

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Simon Shawe
    4: Eoin Sheriff
    5: Mariano Galarza
    6: Kevin McLaughlin CAPTAIN
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Leo Auva’a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Tom Sexton
    17: Stewart Maguire
    18: Ed O’Donoghue
    19: Ciaran Ruddock
    20: John Cooney
    21: Ian Madigan
    22: Michael Keating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AboveandBeyond

jolley123 wrote: »
    Leinster A team to face Currie

LEINSTER:

15: Niall Morris
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Eoin O’Malley
    11: David Kearney
    10: Ian McKinley
    9: Paul O’Donohoe

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Simon Shawe
    4: Eoin Sheriff
    5: Mariano Galarza
    6: Kevin McLaughlin CAPTAIN
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Leo Auva’a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Tom Sexton
    17: Stewart Maguire
    18: Ed O’Donoghue
    19: Ciaran Ruddock
    20: John Cooney
    21: Ian Madigan
    22: Michael Keating

Who is the lad in bold? Macken must be doing something right in training if O'Malley is playing at 12 to accomadate him! Jordi Murphy is meant to be fantastic player haven't seen him yet however.

Has Ed gone backwards since his arrival? He has international caps!

Other than 2 and 3, all very recognisable upcoming talent. Who's that at 8 though?

Reckon this will be a good game!

Yeah no EOD or Berne! Doubt Berne's contract will be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Who is the lad in bold? Macken must be doing something right in training if O'Malley is playing at 12 to accomadate him! Jordi Murphy is meant to be fantastic player haven't seen him yet however.

He's been in good form for Belvo recently, scored a few key tries. Not sure he can make the step up though. Good luck to him.

Looks like the 8 is a new academy player from the AIL....I'm IMPRESSED

• Advertisement

Madigan seems to be in a limbo, on the bench for the full team and the A team. It's a fairly exciting team, I assume Keogh is being given a break or is he injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm fairly certain Auva'a isn't academy and is mid 20's ish. He's been playing 8 for Old Belvo for a few seasons and has excelled in the AIL so he was called up to a Leinster senior training squad early in the season to have a look at him. They've obviously called him back on his AIL form and are taking a look at him at A level.

Decent player, but not sure he'd make a massive impact for the senior 1sts. He's a south sea islander though, so maybe he can have that extra physicality some of the other Irish lads just can't produce, but pretty sure he is no better than Heaslip or O'Brien at 8! :pac: Concerning that Leinster are trying out new 8's?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain Auva'a isn't academy and is mid 20's ish. He's been playing 8 for Old Belvo for a few seasons and has excelled in the AIL so he was called up to a Leinster senior training squad early in the season to have a look at him. They've obviously called him back on his AIL form and are taking a look at him at A level.

Decent player, but not sure he'd make a massive impact for the senior 1sts. He's a south sea islander though, so maybe he can have that extra physicality some of the other Irish lads just can't produce, but pretty sure he is no better than Heaslip or O'Brien at 8! :pac: Concerning that Leinster are trying out new 8's?
    I doubt he is expected to be better than O'Brien and Heaslip. Its just trying a guy out and seeing how he is doing.

If he is impressive in the As he might get a place in the team for the senior team if Ruddock, Ryan, Jennings, Heaslip, O'Brien, McLauchlin are all involved in Ireland team during the 6N.

Mainly its having a look at whats around. Hell maybe its to put pressure on Keogh. He is a fringe player that seems comfortable in the fringes. He won't pressure to be a first team regular but takes a pay check and hangs around in the As and fringes when the internationals raid the squad.

Could anyone tell me about Dundon, the hooker, what age is he. He has had a few games for the As and a sub appearance in the ML a while back. Is he a recent academy addition that isn't on the website or a mid 20s guy who has been called up on the back of serious AIL form to provide cover to a weak position.

Could anyone tell me about Dundon, the hooker, what age is he. He has had a few games for the As and a sub appearance in the ML a while back. Is he a recent academy addition that isn't on the website or a mid 20s guy who has been called up on the back of serious AIL form to provide cover to a weak position.

I think he's like 28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

but pretty sure he is no better than Heaslip or O'Brien at 8! :pac: Concerning that Leinster are trying out new 8's?

In fairness that's not really a fair yardstick though.

One was nominated for World Player of the Year 2 seasons ago and the other is possibly better!!!!

:D

I really like the look of that A team. Especially excited to see how Macken gets on with O'Malley beside him and how McGrath does in the scrums ans if Conway can keep up his prolific scoring rate in the competition.

On a side note, does anyone know what's happened to Shaun Beirne? He seems to have been left out of all squads lately, and I don't recall hearing he was injured...

In other news from earlier in the week (a bit of a late reaction, I know!) but we seem to be waiting on 3 key players to sign contracts now. Heaslip, Sexton, Rob Kearney (who has been under the radar due to his injury) and Mike Ross are the front line players left to still commit to the province. Hopefully there'll be news about these (particularly Sexton & Heaslip) in the coming days. Sexton on newstalk sounded fed up with the negotiations, although reitterated his desire to stat at Leinster, and Jamie Heaslips twitter reaction was harldy promising. Maybe it's too good to be true that when we finally have a world class sqaud, it would be too much to expect to be able to keep all of them, but I really hope this squad that has been a decade in the making is given a few years together to win trophies...

The only thing that could make up for Heaslip leaving would be if Rocky came back after the world cup! :pac: and there would be no replacing Sexton, although I feel he'll do a deal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

On a side note, does anyone know what's happened to Shaun Beirne?

He doesn't exist.

And what about Shaun Berne? :rolleyes:

And what about Shaun Berne? :rolleyes:

From what I gather, Leinster offering him a new contract is unlikely to happen. I guess Schmidt feel like there's enough talent coming through and that it's better they get the game time.

Madigan and McKinnley look promising. I'd be in favor of letting him go. He has been a great signing, but It's great to see homegrown talent prosper and from what I've seen, I think both Ians will become great back ups to Sexton

• Advertisement

He played 12 for the 'A's last week. He had a pretty bad achillies injury, I'm not sure if he's 100% yet. It doesn't look like he'll be getting a contract. Hines contract is up this year too, surely we'll have to extend that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement