Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

Bit of a shame for JHW and Sexton. Not to sound ungrateful, but would he not be better off going to Munster for essentially a guaranteed start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Bit of a shame for JHW and Sexton. Not to sound ungrateful, but would he not be better off going to Munster for essentially a guaranteed start?

He wouldn't be guaranteed a start with Flannery and Varley there. JHW is an unknown quantity at provincial level and Strauss is not yet Irish-qualified. I think it's a good move for Cronin, Leinster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

You would have thought that would have been his preference given he's from Limerick.

I wonder is there more to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

durkadurka wrote: »
    Jaysus we're awash with back rowers!!

Poor old Stephen Keogh!

trackguy wrote: »
    He wouldn't be guaranteed a start with Flannery and Varley there. JHW is an unknown quantity at provincial level and Strauss is not yet Irish-qualified. I think it's a good move for Cronin, Leinster and Ireland.

Flannery is living on borrowed time to be honest. He hasnt had a decent run without injury in a while and he's 31. Cronin is also the starting Irish hooker in Flannerys absence so I would think he is ahead of Varley.

Strauss, Cronin and JHW are peas in a pod in terms of playing style so it makes little sense to sign him. Anyway, whats done is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Cronin joining Leinster on a 2 year deal at the end of the season. Signed, sealed, delivered.

I heard this on the radio. Can't see the sense in it. Straus and Harris Wright seemse adequate enough to me. Would have been better for Ireland and Munster if he went to Munster surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I heard this on the radio. Can't see the sense in it. Straus and Harris Wright seemse adequate enough to me. Would have been better for Ireland and Munster if he went to Munster surely?

Well they have Sherry, Varley and Flannery if he ever actually manages to get playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

no one in Munster is admitting that Flannery is finished, they also think that Varley is at the same level as Cronin and Sherry is a fantastic prospect so where would Cronin fit in

Thats not my opinion but I've seen a lot of munster fans saying this about him recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Maybe one of JHW or Sexton will go to Connacht for a few seasons now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

no one in Munster is admitting that Flannery is finished, they also think that Varley is at the same level as Cronin and Sherry is a fantastic prospect so where would Cronin fit in

Thats not my opinion but I've seen a lot of munster fans saying this about him recently

Fair enough. Good points. Would he have been better suited to Ulster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Fair enough. Good points. Would he have been better suited to Ulster?

No. The only province were Cronin is guaranteed a start is at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

conf101 wrote: »
    Maybe one of JHW or Sexton will go to Connacht for a few seasons now?

I think one of Mike Sherry or Sean Henry is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

No. The only province were Cronin is guaranteed a start is at Connacht.

That's the thing really. This time last year he would have been a cert to start for either Leinster or Munster.

That's the thing really. This time last year he would have been a cert to start for either Leinster or Munster.

I don't think that is what it is about. The ideal situation for players and for teams is to have 2 good players vying for the one position. This is particularly true for a game as physical as rugby.

Each player will have to up their game to try to keep the jersey. It might be frustrating at times for one of the players but the incentive to improve will be there.

For the team, they have back-up if one gets injured and the opportunity to rotate to keep players fresh.

In Cronin's case, it should only do him good to compete with Strauss. Strauss is quite a good thrower and Cronin will suffer in comparison unless he improves. Apologies to Connacht supporters but, he is better off in this situation than being the big fish in the small pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Sean Henry is from Sligo so he might go back up to conn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Cronin is a great capture for Leinster. He has potential to be top class.

Its absolutely sickening for Munster that both Ross and Cronin will probably start in the WC - They left because young players can't get a chance ahead of the old guard and didn't come back because this centrally contracted old guard is still there in force (Buckley, Hayes, Flannery).

Leinster have a great 10 years ahead of them. The gap between them and Munster is widening at a scary rate due to the inability of the Munster management to plan for the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

A great signing for Leinster. But Im pretty sure Strauss will be the top dog for a while, he is well ahead of Cronin at the moment with his lineouts. Pretty much 100% success rate in the last two matches which is astounding.

Every week its looking like more and more players from Leinster will be playing for Ireland. Bowe for Leinster during the summer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Flannery is living on borrowed time to be honest. He hasnt had a decent run without injury in a while and he's 31. Cronin is also the starting Irish hooker in Flannerys absence so I would think he is ahead of Varley.

Strauss, Cronin and JHW are peas in a pod in terms of playing style so it makes little sense to sign him. Anyway, whats done is done.
    Flannery will be 33 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rainman7

trackguy wrote: »
    How long before Strauss is going to be qualified for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Rainman7 wrote: »
    How long before Strauss is going to be qualified for Ireland?

haha IDK how many time that question has been asked.
    November 2012 AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

almighty1 wrote: »
    A great signing for Leinster. But Im pretty sure Strauss will be the top dog for a while, he is well ahead of Cronin at the moment with his lineouts. Pretty much 100% success rate in the last two matches which is astounding.

Every week its looking like more and more players from Leinster will be playing for Ireland. Bowe for Leinster during the summer ;)

Before too many people start dreaming he signed a contract until 2013 I think.

jolley123 wrote: »
    haha IDK how many time that question has been asked.
    November 2012 AFAIK

Personally I don't feel that Strauss should get anywhere near the Irish squad. We have an abundance of Irish hookers. He has no connection to the country other than wanting to be an international afaik. At least players like Boss, Court and D'Arcy have Irish blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Oh oh oh oh.......one more prop and you could have a all Munster front there........:o Im sure you could get Buckley cheap :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Personally I don't feel that Strauss should get anywhere near the Irish squad. We have an abundance of Irish hookers. He has no connection to the country other than wanting to be an international afaik. At least players like Boss, Court and D'Arcy have Irish blood.
    When we are able to produce international front rows in sufficient numbers, then we can afford to be choosy.

Until then we have to be pragmatic and take what we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

rrpc wrote: »
    When we are able to produce international front rows in sufficient numbers, then we can afford to be choosy.

Until then we have to be pragmatic and take what we can get.

We are producing hookers in sufficient numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Stev_o wrote: »
    Oh oh oh oh.......one more prop and you could have a all Munster front there........:o Im sure you could get Buckley cheap :p

Do you know of any decent LH's that Munster have ditched because they aren't as dynamic as prop/winger Marcus Horan?

Cronin is a great capture for Leinster. He has potential to be top class.

Its absolutely sickening for Munster that both Ross and Cronin will probably start in the WC - They left because young players can't get a chance ahead of the old guard and didn't come back because this centrally contracted old guard is still there in force (Buckley, Hayes, Flannery).

Leinster have a great 10 years ahead of them. The gap between them and Munster is widening at a scary rate due to the inability of the Munster management to plan for the future.

A few years ago when Leinster were employing the Cameron Jowitts of this world it seemed that they were losing their way. Your 10 year prediction is a little far-fetched. Things will swing back for Munster before then.

Put simply - young players will get their chance in Munster after this season. Some players will have retired and others will have moved on. This should have happened already, granted.

It will take the best young players from the Academy and any signings that come in at least a few years to make Munster a 'great' team again but I wouldn't be too dis-heartened about the future.

Do you know of any decent LH's that Munster have ditched because they aren't as dynamic as prop/winger Marcus Horan?

Hurley seems pretty good.

If he stays fit, Healy will hopefully have competition for his irish jersey, I'd love to see Marcus play for Ireland again, but only if he could earn his spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Risteard wrote: »
    We are producing hookers in sufficient numbers.
    And yet surprisingly we don't seem to have many fit for the 6N...

Sean O'Brien had to take a couple of throws for Leinster on Friday night.

probably gone back to renogotiate his contract now that he's got another position nailed down...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

munster academy is nowhere near as good or as deep as the leinster academy unfortunately but its improving slowly. the weights and conditioning in leinster at the moment for u19 and u20 teams is class. for the leinster academy and sub academy(for younger players usually before they get the chance to play u20 six nations) they have to be in at 7 every morning for weights 4 days a week and field sessions 5 days a week and then a match on the weekend. they have a much larger player base to deal with aswell. i cant see munster dominating in europe like they have over the last 10 years again in the near future. theyll still produce good forwards but the backs they are producing are poor. what was disappointing to see recently by munster was that they were throwing the ball aimlessly out wide. thats not the way munster play and its not the way they should play. people bemoaned munster for year for playing "bad rugby" but that mainly came from sore losers. they played effective tight rugby with few errors and great consistency. thers nothing wrong with playing tight rugby when youre playing in the rain every weekend. its a different story if youre playing on the highveld and youre not throwing the ball out wide

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement