Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Gotta get on twitter...

I'd love to know who's fu*king around in these negotiations...

I can't help but feel that if the "star" players are holding out for the big bucks, there's a serious problem..

The IRFU have so much more to lose at this stage, losing the likes of Sexton & Heaslip, that they must be offering as much as they can to keep them.

If that's not good enough, as much as I love them, they can fu*k off to France with their slimy agents and I hope they never darken the doors of Leinster again.

No one is bigger than the club / province, and I'd stand behind the union for not being held to ransom. If it's money you're more interested in, there's plenty of room for that in France. No player is irreplacable either, and it's better to have players happy to play for Leinster than players looking for cash that isn't there. Madigan & O'Brien will do for me if that's what it comes to.

I feel most Leinster fans will turn their back on them too if they walk out over money.

That's completely awrse about face in my opinion.

There's aboslutely no way Sexton should accept a penny less than rog is on (in fact he should be asking for more, but I understand he's not). Likewise Heaslip should definitely be the best paid forward in the land. Can you imagine were we lose two of our best stars because we wouldnt pay them market rates, and Irish rugby ends up spending that money and a lot more on the likes of Nonu and McCaw? Madness.

I think Leinster supporters should be making a lot more noise and urging the IRFU to give the lads top notch contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

There's aboslutely no way Sexton should accept a penny less than rog is on (in fact he should be asking for more, but I understand he's not). Likewise Heaslip should definitely be the best paid forward in the land. Can you imagine were we lose two of our best stars because we wouldnt pay them market rates, and Irish rugby ends up spending that money and a lot more on the likes of Nonu and McCaw? Madness.

Couldn't agree more, while not the same playing positions why should the IRFU pay out massive salaries for NZ players looking for a windfall when they could put a fraction of the cost of these two into better deals for JS and JH?? Keep our own under central contract, it is after all what has brought us to the level we are at!

And before anyone starts with the Nonu and McCaw can teach the young guys so much, can Sexton and Heaslip not do this also?? And who's to say if the NZ lads will be bothered giving back to the Munster set up in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CatFromHue wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/magners-league/the-beast-from-the-east-2349520.html

"However, Hagan's non-traditional background coloured his immediate post-school experiences.
    "I went to UCD and studied science and played for the U-20s, but I never really fitted in, I didn't like it and dropped out around Christmas time. I think my background was a factor, there was still a lot of that schools stuff going on, they are a different breed, it could be a bit cliquey."

"I was only a young fellah, and they had plenty of props around, Stan Wright, Ronnie McCormack, Stephen Knoop and Ollie Le Roux were all about and it was hard to get a look in. I got 10 minutes off the bench at the end of a Magners League game against the Dragons -- that was it -- it was frustrating. To be honest, it's a bit intimidating there. Lots of big names around the place and it's easy to go into your shell."

That extract pretty much confirms everything I said. No issue with Leinster Rugby. He lleft from frustration at not getting game time. He wasn't happy in UCD and dropped out of college. You also left out the parts where Dave Fagan and Roly Meates were commended for getting him back on track.

Where does it say he had any issue with Leinster Rugby? Unless him saying he was intimidated as a 20 year old by the big names means he has a beef with Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

bamboozle wrote: »
    loyalty aside, which would anyone want to earn 170k PA or 600k PA its a no brainer, the IRFU fooked up giving DOC and ROG big deals while they seemingly cant afford to stump up for Sexton.

DOC getting a 2 year deal is crazy considering the amount of 2nd row's on Munster's books, plus Nagle has just signed a 2 year deal.

i'm hoping some of the extra cash earned from the quarter final might go towards bumping up contract offered to Sexton & heaslip cause they deserve every penny they can get.

Well if he plays in Ireland it will add another couple of years to his career and then there is also the fact of tax back when he retires if he stays in the country.

And unless you know what wages ROG and DOC are on, speculating on "big deals" doesn't help anything. As far as I know, established players took a big cut on their pay with the newest contracts.

I personally don't think that losing Heaslip would be a big problem for Leinster. SOB is no worse an 8 for him and at the speed that he is improving, he could soon be the better player. Ye have loads of dept in the backrow and it would give Ryan and Ruddock a chance to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

I personally don't think that losing Heaslip would be a big problem for Leinster. SOB is no worse an 8 for him and at the speed that he is improving, he could soon be the better player. Ye have loads of dept in the backrow and it would give Ryan and Ruddock a chance to step up.

While I agree that SOB is a phenomenom at the minute, I'd rather him AND Heaslip in a backrow then just SOB! :)

• Advertisement

He's been our player since the start, and we'd like to keep him that way. A fan favourite, a critic's nightmare, an analyst's dream and a nice guy to boot.

Enough Jamie love, jut pay the lad what he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Jamie Heaslip & Cian Healy on Twitter suggesting something happened to Sam Coughlan-Murray. Knew him from my days with UCD – anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I think this is a huge case of 'out of sight-out of mind'. While SOB has been nothing short of a revelation this season, Heaslip is a huge asset to Leinster and will be for the foreseeable future. Any team would miss such an asset if they left, including Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Jamie Heaslip & Cian Healy on Twitter suggesting something happened to Sam Coughlan-Murray. Knew him from my days with UCD – anyone shed any light?

What do you mean, something bad?

Though curious, I wouldn't like to guess, and don't think this is an appropriate place to discuss it considering the tone of the "tweets"

• Advertisement

Though curious, I wouldn't like to guess, and don't think this is an appropriate place to discuss it considering the tone of the "tweets"

Aye fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

jolley123 wrote: »
    What do you mean, something bad?

I hope not, they should pull those tweets if it is, very bad form to break news in that manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I think the idea of this Heaslip/Sexton off to France thing is because the IRFU won't pay them but will bring McCaw and Nonu to Munster is nonsense.
    This is speculation and daft in the extreme.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

GerM wrote: »
    :eek:

Indo reporting Hagan is close to signing for Leinster with Ross going south. Makes sense to an extent but can't help but feel that the situation is purely being engineered to dig Munster out.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-confident-of-hagan-capture-2512805.html

**** off, he's ours now!!

This feels like someone trying to claim back their abandoned puppy after we nursed it back to health and he turned out to be a great dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Hagan coming makes sense, Ross going doesn't. If Hagan does come and Heaslip and Sexton stay, Leinster's squad is up there with Toulouse's as the best in Europe. That being said, I never believe a word in the sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I personally don't think that losing Heaslip would be a big problem for Leinster.

I'v seen some pretty clueless comments on boards over the years - but that's up there with the best of them.

Heaslip 18 months ago a nominee for world player of the year. Leinster go on a couple of months of a good run and suddenly we can afford to lose players of that quality?

SOB has spent half his professional career injured. Personally I agree that he may well end up being a better player than Heaslip given his form this season - but to suggest losing a player of Heaslip's quality would be anything other than a catastrophe for Leinster is.....

padser wrote: »
    I'v seen some pretty clueless comments on boards over the years - but that's up there with the best of them.

Heaslip 18 months ago a nominee for world player of the year. Leinster go on a couple of months of a good run and suddenly we can afford to lose players of that quality?

SOB has spent half his professional career injured. Personally I agree that he may well end up being a better player than Heaslip given his form this season - but to suggest losing a player of Heaslip's quality would be anything other than a catastrophe for Leinster is.....

A lot can happen in 18months. Look at the Munster team...

Having Heaslip is obviously great for the side, but another backrow will end up leaving due to the quality that Leinster now have. Losing him would be a loss, but it wouldn't considerably weaken the team. The squad as a whole yes. But not the matchday 23. Leinster would still be one of the top 3 clubs in Europe.

Leinster would be in much bigger trouble if they lost Sexton or Cullen/Hines. Every other player in the team has a near equal behind them. The current strength in dept is fantastic.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    **** off, he's ours now!!

This feels like someone trying to claim back their abandoned puppy after we nursed it back to health and he turned out to be a great dog.

Maybe Connacht should try and breed their own dogs. They'll be much more loyal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Leinster seemed to do just fine with Toner and Hines earlier in the season..

The real issue with Heaslip leaving is it will take away from the squad we built from the ground up under Cheika. Yes there is cover for Heaslip but the goal is to have a squad of 30+ players who can be rotated without weakening the team, we're getting close but if he leaves it's a step backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Mike Ross
    Johny Sexton
    Nathan Hines
    Jamie Heaslip

Who else has a contract expiring at the end of the season, I've a feeling that there is one or two more

A lot can happen in 18months. Look at the Munster team...

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous comment. Plenty of people on here and elsewhere could see the problems with Munster a lot more than 18 months ago...

Lack of foresight and abuse of hindsight are two serious problems there.

Heaslip should remain a Leinster player, but as it is business, and business is business, Leinster will have to pay him the appropriate amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Mike Ross
    Johny Sexton
    Nathan Hines
    Jamie Heaslip

Who else has a contract expiring at the end of the season, I've a feeling that there is one or two more

Bod after world cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous comment. Plenty of people on here and elsewhere could see the problems with Munster a lot more than 18 months ago...

Lack of foresight and abuse of hindsight are two serious problems there.

Heaslip should remain a Leinster player, but as it is business, and business is business, Leinster IRFU will have to pay him the appropriate amount.

its out of Leinsters hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Leinster would be in much bigger trouble if they lost Sexton or Cullen/Hines. Every other player in the team has a near equal behind them. The current strength in dept is fantastic.

Yup Sexton is the main man. They can afford to lose Heaslip because of all the backrows they have but good 10s don't grow on trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Cullen and Hines are getting on a bit. We might be getting the cheque book out next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

durkadurka wrote: »
    Cullen and Hines are getting on a bit. We might be getting the cheque book out next year

Raid Munster for a few locks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

profitius wrote: »
    Raid Munster for a few locks.

Except all 5 of them appear to be under contract now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Except all 5 of them appear to be under contract now.

Reading the MFs forum, some of them reckon that at the start of the year, Nagle wasn't even the highest rated 2nd row in the academy. it's just some have gotten injured when the senior players were and Nagle got his chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

durkadurka wrote: »

I wonder how possible it would be to get Bob Casey , if only a short term solution.

Also, has anyone any idea of how Mario Galarza is rated in the squad? As Cullen and Hines were always going to be first choice for this season, Galarza was signed with the future in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement