Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Risteard wrote: »
    Reading the MFs forum, some of them reckon that at the start of the year, Nagle wasn't even the highest rated 2nd row in the academy. it's just some have gotten injured when the senior players were and Nagle got his chance.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/squadprofiles.php?player=33300&includeref=dynamic

Dave Foley here apparently was rated higher but was injured in October and November when Nagle got his break
    Also, has anyone any idea of how Mario Galarza is rated in the squad? As Cullen and Hines were always going to be first choice for this season, Galarza was signed with the future in mind.
    Galazra is gone, his time with Leinster is done, though he mentioned that he would be open to a return to Leinster, he has gone back to Argentina at the end of his contract, he is back playing for an amateur team back in Argentina I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

I wonder how possible it would be to get Bob Casey , if only a short term solution.

Also, has anyone any idea of how Mario Galarza is rated in the squad? As Cullen and Hines were always going to be first choice for this season, Galarza was signed with the future in mind.

I was under the impression Galarza was a short term signing due to injuries at the start of the season.....could be wrong tho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Risteard wrote: »
    Reading the MFs forum, some of them reckon that at the start of the year, Nagle wasn't even the highest rated 2nd row in the academy. it's just some have gotten injured when the senior players were and Nagle got his chance.

Holland is a second row as well isn't he?

Galarza was signed as emergency cover because of Cullen's injury. He won't be sticking around.

Leinster have Toner and Eoin Sheriff (?) for the future. Ciaran Ruddock is a lock too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Ah yes, just had a quick google there... he should be off back home this week if he hasn't already!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Holland is a second row as well isn't he?
    Holland in Munster is 25, he can play lock but I think he is primarily a flanker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Two things have been annoying me about Leinster's recent HCup success:

Firstly apparentely the team can do no wrong and any defensive frailities - which there clearly have been - are ignored. Secondly, that SOB is the best thing ever and Heaslip never existed. I can't believe all the skill, hard work and brilliance he brought over the years is forgotten so soon. Heaslip is absolutely in his prime and still the best no. 8 in Ireland, imo.

I agree with the second part, but not the first.

Leinster have changed their game from a team that wont concede a try in a calendar month, and edge through games by being dogged and disciplined and taking their chances when they come (under Cheika), to now being a team with a "Just try stop us scoring more" attitude. They are playing rugby like Arsenal play soccer.

They're not committing as much energy to defence as they know that they have such attacking prowess that they will always have more to score than the other team.

And damn does it make for great viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's scary at times though, verging on reckless.

Also teams Will figure out how to play SOB at some stage. He won't be able to continue this forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I think this Leinster team has the ability to buckle down and hold off most attacks when needed. All you have to do is take a look back at the Sarries game in Wembley when they held off Sarries for 30 phases in the dying minutes. It's more a case of the risks that come with the style they're playing. They're playing a high tempo running game and with it comes a looser defence. In saying that, it also comes with a bucket load of tries on our end. I have confidence that these players will be able to make the shift from the running gameplan to the safe blockade one when it is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

durkadurka wrote: »
    It's scary at times though, verging on reckless.

Also teams Will figure out how to play SOB at some stage. He won't be able to continue this forever.

Surely only a matter of time before someone figures out Sexton's looping pop pass in the centre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

hardCopy wrote: »
    Surely only a matter of time before someone figures out Sexton's looping pop pass in the centre

I think everyone has "figured it out", but it's absurdly difficult to defend against when done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mike Ross
    Johny Sexton
    Nathan Hines
    Jamie Heaslip

Who else has a contract expiring at the end of the season, I've a feeling that there is one or two more
    Rob Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

We can all defend against things that we know are coming, but that's the exact point with Sextons loop (or Gafneys loop as it should really be called), it's done at the right moment and there's nothing you can do about it without opening up space outside in order to cover Sextons line. If executed correctly, it can be a devestating manouver.

As for our defence, I don't 100% buy into this philosophy that our poor defense at times is a result of our attacking play (well, in some cases, such as the intercepts thrown, it probably has been), but the main reason for the lapses has been poor concentraiton.

We're not the finished article yet, and our defence only tends to leak when we're far enough ahead that the concentration cap dip, and teams can make comebacks, but once refocussed, we can pull away again.

Not perfect, but doing a lot of things right, and I don't think the defensive system is the problem, it's keeping the players focused for the full 80 that's let us down. But I'm not complaining. These things will be addressed and you don't need to be perfect to win trophies, you just need to win your games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Leinster have changed their game from a team that wont concede a try in a calendar month, and edge through games by being dogged and disciplined and taking their chances when they come (under Cheika), to now being a team with a "Just try stop us scoring more" attitude. They are playing rugby like Arsenal play soccer.

They're not committing as much energy to defence as they know that they have such attacking prowess that they will always have more to score than the other team.

Plus alot of the tries scored against Leinster recently have been the fault of individuals - not a chink in the defensive system.

Obviously it all amounts to the same thing but the defensive system can't be held responsible for Luke Fitzgerald throwing a suicidal pass into the centre of the pitch.

I think the defence is still excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

hardCopy wrote: »

As already stated I think it's fair to say that it has been "figured out". The great thing about Johnny is the amount of options he brings. He's comfortable looking for the gaps and taking them himself, kicking for territory, off loading in the tackle, using the players around him and using the wrap around.

If you look at when he uses the wrap around he generally uses it with BOD or Darcy. Defenders have 1 of 2 options in those cases, cover Sexton or cover Darcy/BOD. They can't cover both. And no defense is going to give those centres space. Watching him during the Sarries game in particular was a joy because the Sarries defense couldn't figure out what he was going to do next. So the wrap around works for 2 reasons, i.e. who he's doing it with is just as/more dangerous if given space and it's one of a number of plays he can make that defenses need to try and anticipate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

molloyjh wrote: »
    As already stated I think it's fair to say that it has been "figured out". The great thing about Johnny is the amount of options he brings. He's comfortable looking for the gaps and taking them himself, kicking for territory, off loading in the tackle, using the players around him and using the wrap around.

If you look at when he uses the wrap around he generally uses it with BOD or Darcy. Defenders have 1 of 2 options in those cases, cover Sexton or cover Darcy/BOD. They can't cover both. And no defense is going to give those centres space. Watching him during the Sarries game in particular was a joy because the Sarries defense couldn't figure out what he was going to do next. So the wrap around works for 2 reasons, i.e. who he's doing it with is just as/more dangerous if given space and it's one of a number of plays he can make that defenses need to try and anticipate.

Thanks, for some reason I couldn't remember the word wrap-around!

The sexton/bod partnership seems to be crucial. They are both brilliant playmakers. If one of them is missing we're a different team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If we could attack like we are now, and defend like under Cheika at the same time...

In fairness, it your response to conceding a try is scoring two of your own, then you'll win more times than not.

Heineken quarter final ticket info released.

3 day window next monday to wednesday for ST holders to secure their own seat at 25% discount

Then 4 day presale for ST holders to buy up to 8 additional seats.

Then its open to public on monday 7th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

durkadurka wrote: »
    Heineken quarter final ticket info released.

3 day window next monday to wednesday for ST holders to secure their own seat at 25% discount

Then 4 day presale for ST holders to buy up to 8 additional seats.

Then its open to public on monday 7th Feb.
    Thanks for that. Were you sent an email from the Leinster branch? I've heard nothing from them yet.

• Advertisement

Yep I have season ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Every summer I don't get a season ticket. Fcuk I'm stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Every summer I don't get a season ticket. Fcuk I'm stupid.

Want to be careful posting a statement like that, might find a lot of people click on the "Thanks" button :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Sangre wrote: »
    Two things have been annoying me about Leinster's recent HCup success:

Firstly apparentely the team can do no wrong and any defensive frailities - which there clearly have been - are ignored. Secondly, that SOB is the best thing ever and Heaslip never existed. I can't believe all the skill, hard work and brilliance he brought over the years is forgotten so soon. Heaslip is absolutely in his prime and still the best no. 8 in Ireland, imo.

Couldn't agree more with this post.

1) Leinster are not as good or invincible as we like to think (as Leinster supporters)
    2) Related to that (insofar as it all boils down to people overhyping things) is that Munster are no where near as bad as is sometimes made out.

But by far far and away the most annoying is numerous people (not just one deluded individual) suggesting that Leinster no longer need Heaslip.

Since 2008 he has been by far and away (no one comes even close) the best number 8 in Ireland, he has consistently been in the top 3 or 4 in the world.

In the last 4 months SOB has put in MOM performances and has shaded Heaslip slightly in terms of performance (although mostly not playing 8). Even if (and it's a massive if) he fulfills his potential and is as good / better than Heaslip that would leave himself and Heaslip, most likely, as the top 2 backrows in Leinster by a mile.

Even in that situation (and it's a big if) you would be replacing Heaslip not with SOB (who would be in the team anyway) but with McLaughlin or Jennings or Ruddock maybe.

Any suggestion that this wouldn't weaken the team is just ridiculous. And that's before you start thinking about squads and injuries (professional players on average I think are injured 18% of the time, for Heaslip this figure is about 1%, for SOB to date its been about 50%).

Heaslip is an excellent no 8, SOB is an amazing ball carrier that plays in the back row.

Leinster have two very good ball carrying threats in the back row. It definitely shouldn't be a case of either or. We want them both

That said I am more confident about life after Heaslip (which i feel we are looking at now) then I was before SOBs breakthrough over the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Heaslip is an excellent no 8, SOB is an amazing ball carrier that plays in the back row.

Leinster have two very good ball carrying threats in the back row. It definitely shouldn't be a case of either or. We want them both

That said I am more confident about life after Heaslip (which i feel we are looking at now) then I was before SOBs breakthrough over the last few months

Why do you say that? Do you think he is going to move?

trackguy wrote: »
    I've had that feeling for a while, I think he would like to experience Super Rugby in the SH for a couple of years. No sources no nothing its just a gut feeling

trackguy wrote: »

I have a vibe that he'll go too. no actual evidence or inside track, mind you. Hopefully not.

I think that IRFU will make the deal with sexton happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I have to say for some reason I have the same feeling. Sexton stays, Heaslip goes. Again nothing that I can back that up.

• Advertisement

I think he likes the idea of playing elsewhere for a while, he was talking about his mates buggering off to Oz.

Also sexton being an outhalf is probably strategically more vital for ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement