Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

JustinDee wrote: »
    For flips sake, Irish rugby fans can be so thin-skinned.

People in glasshouses etc

I'm glad we have him and all, but does anyone else think that Boss' move to Leinster was absolutely bizarre?

He's probably had a decent share of gametime with Reddan, but is clearly #2 to him in Schmidt's eyes.

Yes he brings a different style but he's not going to break through unless his game develops hugely. Himself and Reddan both can be awfully headless at times, and their decision making has been poor in the past.

I think the two of them working together / competing with each other, will be great for them both, but I still think it was a bizarre move for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I'm glad we have him and all, but does anyone else think that Boss' move to Leinster was absolutely bizarre?

He's probably had a decent share of gametime with Reddan, but is clearly #2 to him in Schmidt's eyes.

Yes he brings a different style but he's not going to break through unless his game develops hugely. Himself and Reddan both can be awfully headless at times, and their decision making has been poor in the past.

I think the two of them working together / competing with each other, will be great for them both, but I still think it was a bizarre move for him.

I don't know if he's second to Reddan. I think he's there for a different game-style. He's the physical 9 and Reddan is the quick one. I think at the moment, Boss is our away 9 and Reddan is our home one.

Quiet on here tonight. Maybe we need a rugby transfer deadline day

Ron Kearney just tweeted heaslip ' never mind this new contract, Steve jobs will be after you next'. Forget the Steve jobs bit.

This new contract. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I hear one F said in the Star today that Heaslip and Sexton had both signed new contracts. Did anyone see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

lemansky wrote: »
    I hear one F said in the Star today that Heaslip and Sexton had both signed new contracts. Did anyone see it?

Haven't seen it, but if it's true thank fúcking god :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

We have been hearing rumors every day nearly about contracts being signed, but yet nothing gets confirmed. I've started to ignore them all now, as they just get my hopes up.

I'm getting less worried

Latest tweet from heasliP : 'happy man'

I think were all going to be happy

• Advertisement

ah here seriously that could mean anything.

True, might have just got laid or something! But I suspect he's telling us something

Yeah like he found out somewhere to do a battered mars bar / creme egg by the sounds of it.

I'm starting to think you are telling us something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

All but confirmed that Heaslip & Sexton have now both signed new deals.

More good news, Jamie Hagan's reneigh on his deal with Connacht seems to be in order to come home to Leinster (and before his paper interview is mentioned, he felt alienated at university and the clique'ness of UCD and at the rugby at UCD and credits the Leinster academy for getting him through that time, so no, he didn't talk about his hatred for Leinster). Ross rumoured to be staying put also...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

[Jackass] wrote: »
    All but confirmed that Heaslip & Sexton have now both signed new deals.

More good news, Jamie Hagan's reneigh on his deal with Connacht seems to be in order to come home to Leinster (and before his paper interview is mentioned, he felt alienated at university and the clique'ness of UCD and at the rugby at UCD and credits the Leinster academy for getting him through that time, so no, he didn't talk about his hatred for Leinster). Ross rumoured to be staying put also...

Would that see Hagan as back up TH and Healy and Wright battling for LH with Van De Merwe leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Morf wrote: »
    Would that see Hagan as back up TH and Healy and Wright battling for LH with Van De Merwe leaving?

Interesting point. I'd hate to see VDM go. He's only like 25 and he has proved to be such a successful buy.

If someone where to leave, imo I'd prefer it to be Ross. Wright is such a valuable player, as is VDM. I'd have Healy and VDM at LH and Wright and Hagan at TH. Although VDM might not want to stay. Even better, no one leaves:).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jolley123 wrote: »
    Interesting point. I'd hate to see VDM go. He's only like 25 and he has proved to be such a successful buy.

If someone where to leave, imo I'd prefer it to be Ross. Wright is such a valuable player, as is VDM. I'd have Healy and VDM at LH and Wright and Hagan at TH. Although VDM might not want to stay. Even better, no one leaves:).

Nah, I'd always rather an Irish player. I'd far sooner see VDM leave then Ross.

Spud83 wrote: »
    Yeah like he found out somewhere to do a battered mars bar / creme egg by the sounds of it.

I'm starting to think you are telling us something.

Ha ha I've no inside track other than sifting through their inane tweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

VDM signed a 2 year deal so will be going nowhere. I would think it's more likely that Stan will be making way more than anyone. He's also out of contract as far as I know and is returning from a long term injury. He'll shortly be out of the game for more than 6 months and I believe this means he won't be receiving any pay so a big contract could be important. This will be his last chance to sign a decent contract and he won't get anything in Leinster comparable to what he possibly could in France. Would hate to see him leave, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

My brother just told me that he heard on the radio that Sexton has signed! Apparently he was offered 500,000 from a french club but turned it down. Jamie Heaslip has had multiple offers from clubs around the world but it looks like he will be signing too though its not confirmed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

i have a feeling jack mcgrath will make a bit of headway next year. mike ross is a relatively good scrummager but hes not that great a player and i wouldnt be surprised if he was usurped by hagan. in any eventuality its always good to have loads of props. van der merwe,hagan,healy,mike ross,stan wright,mcgrath id like to see next year. shawe can head back to wherever he came from like Ben Prescott. young Jack O'Connell and Stewart Maguire are nowhere near ready yet and with Ronnie McCormack gone as back up prop i think its good to have newland around even if he turns out as useless as he seems at the moment. thats still only 7 viable props for next year

My brother just told me that he heard on the radio that Sexton has signed! Apparently he was offered 500,000 from a french club but turned it down. Jamie Heaslip has had multiple offers from clubs around the world but it looks like he will be signing too though its not confirmed. :)

Before people get excited this was the radio reporting an unconfirmed report that Sexton had signed, that gave no about where they were getting their information from. The said Heaslips looks like it could be a more contracted affair.

The rumors and murmurings certainly seem more positive about Sexton, then Heaslip, which is what a few of us have been saying on here.

Spud83 wrote: »
    Before people get excited this was the radio reporting an unconfirmed report that Sexton had signed, that gave no about where they were getting their information from. The said Heaslips looks like it could be a more contracted affair.

The rumors and murmurings certainly seem more positive about Sexton, then Heaslip, which is what a few of us have been saying on here.

You're a difficult man to convince! I think someone will have to post up a pdf of a signed contract before you have any faith in it whatsoever!

durkadurka wrote: »
    You're a difficult man to convince! I think someone will have to post up a pdf of a signed contract before you have any faith in it whatsoever!

Oh no, I have faith Sexton will sign, but not Heaslip.

However yes, I will need confirmation from the player or IRFU before accepting that either deal is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

In the last few minutes Jamie confirmed on Facebook that he has signed a 3 year deal with Leinster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Awesome, Sexton, Heaslip & Drico all confirmed to have signed new contracts by LR on facebook! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

TWEET FROM IRFU SAYING JAMIE, SEXTON AND BOD ALL SIGNING NEW CONTRACTS!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Delighted to say that I'm playing my rugby for the next 3 years with Leinster.an organisation that is exciting to be involved with right now
    groovy

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/22054.php
    The Irish Rugby Football Union are happy to announce three significant new Ireland international contracts as Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll and his Leinster and Ireland colleagues, Jamie Heaslip and Jonathan Sexton, have all agreed new contracts to remain playing in Ireland.
    Brian O’Driscoll will continue a career that began in Ireland in 1999 by remaining to play with Leinster until the end of the 2012-13 season. Sexton will also remain in Ireland with Leinster having agreed a new contract up until June 2013 with Heaslip, who has played No.8 for Ireland, Leinster and the British & Irish Lions in his career to date, now contracted up until June 2014.

IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne said, “This is exceptionally good news for Ireland and Leinster to be making the announcement that Brian, Jamie and Jonathan have agreed new contracts to continue to play here in Ireland. I believe that they have made the right choice for everybody concerned and would like to express my delight at each of them for making this commitment."

"They have shown that their desire to continue their careers in Ireland and play for Leinster was the strongest factor in making their decision. While being equally delighted at both Jamie and Jonathan’s decision to sign new contracts, I feel I do need to make a special mention about Brian O’Driscoll."

"He has shown unwavering professionalism and commitment to Irish and Leinster Rugby throughout his career and is also the perfect example to all young players, showing how the Irish system provides support for natural talent and can have a positive influence on their development and potential by remaining playing here in Ireland.”

Brian O’Driscoll said, “Playing in Ireland with Leinster for my entire career has been all the more enjoyable knowing that my rugby goals I have achieved to date were with an organisation that has really grown at the same time as me over the last ten years. Leinster and Irish Rugby has progressed so far during that time that winning Magners Leagues, Heineken Cups and Grand Slams was infinitely more satisfying knowing that it was done playing in Ireland with my home province.”

“I also feel that my potential to reach those goals was best served by staying in Ireland where as players, we are so well looked after and I think it has enhanced and prolonged my career and is something that the younger players can really benefit from. My appetite to achieve more with Leinster and Ireland certainly has not been dampened by our recent success.

"While I have been in Leinster over eleven years, it is great to see the next generation coming through and I am a little jealous as they have the chance to experience even more success then I have had. I am looking forward to the start of the 6 Nations, and after that I can focus on those other long term goals with Ireland and Leinster over the next two years."

Jamie Heaslip said, “I am pleased to have agreed a new contract and to commit myself to Leinster for a further 3 years. I have been fortunate to enjoy some great success already in my career and I want to achieve more with Leinster and Ireland in the years ahead."

"There is tremendous competition for places at both provincial and national level which augurs well for the future. Now that I am going to be part of that I just want to concentrate on getting over my injury and getting back on the pitch for Ireland as soon as possible.”

Jonathan Sexton said, “There is something special building in Leinster at the moment and as well as the involvement with Ireland in a World Cup year, that was the main influence on my decision. It has been great to get my contract finalised ahead of what is going to be a pretty exciting and challenging period for the Ireland squad and now I just want to focus on playing the best rugby that I can and hopefully contributing to further success with Ireland and Leinster.”

Ireland Coach Declan Kidney said, “I think that Brian, Jamie and Jonathan agreeing new contracts is great news as all three players have key roles to play for province and country. The benefit to the Irish team to have these players remaining here in Ireland cannot be understated and I am delighted to see that they have made this commitment.”

Leinster Coach Joe Schmidt said, “It’s a great boost to finally secure the contract extensions of Brian, Jamie and Johnny. They have been key players in the province’s recent success and they offer genuine leadership, talent and experience as we strive toward further success.

"Being of genuine Leinster stock it’s great to have three such pivotal players join with a number of other players who have recently extended their contracts, reaffirming that loyalty amongst Irish players can still outweigh lucrative overseas offers. For the province, our sponsors and supporters it offers great stability going forward.”

EDIT: jesus you guys are quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Seriously great news there. Made my day...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement