Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Great year to be a Leinster fan! We're building a dynasty!
    Now, next thing, Rosser and Wright to sign!

Great to hear the guys saying there's something building at the club though, cos there's no doubt there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Anyone have any idea how much these guys would be on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

:D Wooo, so glad they are out of the way, both for the good of Ireland and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Great news, everyone happy, world domination here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Looks like BOD will target the 2013 Lions Tour to go out in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd say he'll definately tour if he's playing, it's a long way down the line though.

Gawd knows he deserves a series win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Is tonights game on tv anywhere?

Aironi? Thats next week dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

almighty1 wrote: »
    Aironi? Thats next week dude.

Just realised there, got my Thursdays mixed up! Thought I deleted it before anyone noticed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah, it seems those are his goals...one more crack at a world cup and one more crack left at a Lions tour... all he's got left to achieve in his career.

It would be nice to think he could get the captaincey of the Lions again, but I'm not sure that will happen.

If Kidney is still in charge after the world cup, he'll just stick to the status quo of BO'D as captain and John Hayes as tight head post world cup (:pac:), but I feel after the world cup should be used to build for the next world cup, seeing as we completely left that process out for this one, and thus I would make Jamie Heaslip the Irish captain after the world cup and start playing the young players and give lesser roles to the likes of Horgan, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, O'Gara, Stringer, Paddy Wallace, David Wallace, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Hayes, Mick O'Driscoll, Cullen, Flannery, Best, Buckley, Ross and start giving the regular game time and build the team strictly around guys like Kearney, Earls, Fitzgerald, McFadden, Marshall, O'Malley, Sexton, Keatley, Reddan, Boss, O'Leary, Trimble, Bowe, Conway, Ferris, Heaslip, O'Brien, Leamy, Jennings, McLoughln, Dom Ryan, Ruddock bro's, Foley, Donnacha Ryan, Tuhoy, Nagle, Toner, Healy, Hagan, McGrath, Maguire, Cronin, Strauss, Varley (I'm sure I'm ommitting some young stars, particularly from the other provinces, but just picking off the top of my head, but you get the idea) and whoever else emerges over the next few years, but post world cup, I'dpurely build the Irish team around these young guys and let guys like O'Connell & O'Drsicoll and all the big names who are still good enough for international level have a much more toned down input and build instead of the next Irish result being the most important thing in the world and instead take an approach of looking further down the line than a month or two and look three or four YEARS down the line.

It would also build the longevity of guys like O'Drsicoll, O'Connell etc. at their provinces..They may still be good enough post world cup, but that's not the point...I wish Uncle Deccy could have seen some of this earlier, but we've got to play the hand we're left with now and forget about the young talent until after the world cup and give the old gaurd one last shot...largely based around the same group of players that failed in 2007, but that's where we are...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems those are his goals...one more crack at a world cup and one more crack left at a Lions tour... all he's got left to achieve in his career.

It would be nice to think he could get the captaincey of the Lions again, but I'm not sure that will happen.

If Kidney is still in charge after the world cup, he'll just stick to the status quo of BO'D as captain and John Hayes as tight head post world cup (:pac:), but I feel after the world cup should be used to build for the next world cup, seeing as we completely left that process out for this one, and thus I would make Jamie Heaslip the Irish captain after the world cup and start playing the young players and give lesser roles to the likes of Horgan, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, O'Gara, Stringer, Paddy Wallace, David Wallace, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Hayes, Mick O'Driscoll, Cullen, Flannery, Best, Buckley, Ross and start giving the regular game time and build the team strictly around guys like Kearney, Earls, Fitzgerald, McFadden, Marshall, O'Malley, Sexton, Keatley, Reddan, Boss, O'Leary, Trimble, Bowe, Conway, Ferris, Heaslip, O'Brien, Leamy, Jennings, McLoughln, Dom Ryan, Ruddock bro's, Foley, Donnacha Ryan, Tuhoy, Nagle, Toner, Healy, Hagan, McGrath, Maguire, Cronin, Strauss, Varley (I'm sure I'm ommitting some young stars, particularly from the other provinces, but just picking off the top of my head, but you get the idea) and whoever else emerges over the next few years, but post world cup, I'dpurely build the Irish team around these young guys and let guys like O'Connell & O'Drsicoll and all the big names who are still good enough for international level have a much more toned down input and build instead of the next Irish result being the most important thing in the world and instead take an approach of looking further down the line than a month or two and look three or four YEARS down the line.

It would also build the longevity of guys like O'Drsicoll, O'Connell etc. at their provinces..They may still be good enough post world cup, but that's not the point...I wish Uncle Deccy could have seen some of this earlier, but we've got to play the hand we're left with now and forget about the young talent until after the world cup and give the old gaurd one last shot...largely based around the same group of players that failed in 2007, but that's where we are...

why not start preparing for 2015 now?? i mean we never do well in new zealand anyway!

im joking of course but i dont believe in preparing for a world cup thats in four years time.

i wouldnt want Marshall, Keatley, Conway, Nagle, McGrath, Maguire anywhere near the first 15 unless they're doing it for the clubs.

we have an A team that should be used for these guys, thats what its there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Nice post, I'd throw a few more of the guys in the young bracket (Leamy, Reddan, Boss) into the more experienced pile. It's nice to see all the players written down like that though.

It underlines how bright the future is but also how difficult it is going to be to re-vamp the team. We have a huge amount of players who will be coming to the end of their international careers/ winding down after the World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eh...no.

The 6N is more important then the RWC to me. Besides, planning for something four years in advance is silly - you have no idea what will happen in that timeframe. As long as O'Driscoll and O'Connell are good enough they should be playing all the important games at least. However, the phrase "as long as they're good enough" is key in that. They shouldn't be allowed hang on solely be reputation, but as long as they're the best players there then they should be in control of the jersey. It's up to the younger players to earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Brian O'Driscoll on Twitter about an hour ago

"A lot to be said for behind the scenes negociating rather than kicking off games down in Biarritz, what!!!!!!"

Oh Drico you joker :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Eh...no.

The 6N is more important then the RWC to me. Besides, planning for something four years in advance is silly - you have no idea what will happen in that timeframe. As long as O'Driscoll and O'Connell are good enough they should be playing all the important games at least. However, the phrase "as long as they're good enough" is key in that. They shouldn't be allowed hang on solely be reputation, but as long as they're the best players there then they should be in control of the jersey. It's up to the younger players to earn it.

I agree. When it comes to provincial games, young talent should be given game-time aslong as they impress at A level. But when it comes to the green jersey-to wear it, you gotta be playing better rugby than the guy who has it now. That said, that's not what's happening in irish rugby atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I wonder how McFadden will react to the news that bod is staying.

Just when he was turning into a HEC and even international starting player, the main barrier to his progress stays...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

durkadurka wrote: »

Just when he was turning into a HEC and even international starting player, the main barrier to his progress stays...

Why would McFadden have thought that BOD was leaving? Also I imagine he is fine with the situation. He's about to start his first 6 nations match. Not really on merit but this time last year he wouldn't even be close to the team.

Schmidt has shown that he'll select guys on form not reputation, so if McFadden steps up his game enough to pass out Darcy or Drico or either of the wings then he'll play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

He as hardly expecting him to leave - bod has hinted before at the 2013 lions. McFadden is firmly first choice back up at 12 and 13 as well as being in contention on the wing. That's probably at least 15 games a season which should be enough I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There was no chance of Dric leaving at this stage of his career.

With McFadden having proven to Schmidt that he's as good as anyone else, I'm sure the back line will be rotated in a horses-for-courses fashion for the remainder of the season, just like the prop, back row and scrum half positions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Schmidt likes McFadden at 12 though. He rarely plays 13 these days.

I reckon Darcy would be his main target to get the shirt off. But as the others say, there will be plenty of rotation so lots of games all round.

• Advertisement

ambid wrote: »
    Schmidt likes McFadden at 12 though. He rarely plays 13 these days.

Yea definitely. I can see a future with a McFadden/O'Malley axis of evil. The futures bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

pajunior wrote: »
    Why would McFadden have thought that BOD was leaving? Also I imagine he is fine with the situation. He's about to start his first 6 nations match. Not really on merit but this time last year he wouldn't even be close to the team.

Excuse me?

Him, Shaggy and Bowe are the top 3 Irish wingers at the moment, and the other two would be fighting it out for the 14 shirt. Its totally deserved, he has been playing immensely well.

I think he means that its not fully due to merit, injuries etc have meant that he was more likely to get picked.

With a full squad available, though probably deserving a spot, he might not have been chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

McFadden may see himself cast into the role as the ideal bench player when everyone is back from injury. Like Tom Court who can cover both sides of the scrum, McFadden can cover the wings and centre positions and would be invaluable in that sense. It would seem a bit stupid to retain Paddy Wallace as the outside back replacement when he can only cover 10 and 12, and with ROG there as the backup 10 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

tolosenc wrote: »
    Excuse me?

Him, Shaggy and Bowe are the top 3 Irish wingers at the moment, and the other two would be fighting it out for the 14 shirt. Its totally deserved, he has been playing immensely well.

As above him being picked was almost a certainty due to the injuries. If everyone was fit I would imagine it would be a back three of Bowe, Kearney and Fitzgerald. But thats mindless speculations since we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

Am I the only one who is utterly terrified that playing under Kidney during the 6 Nations is going to take awhile for our players to recover from and might not happen before Leicester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The thought crossed my mind, but I don't think it will happen. Look at how we played in Dec after the AIs. I'd be more afraid of an injury to Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Am I the only one who is utterly terrified that playing under Kidney during the 6 Nations is going to take awhile for our players to recover from and might not happen before Leicester?

I'm afraid too. Such negative rugby.

Hopefully Deccie will be sacked on Monday, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

The thought crossed my mind, but I don't think it will happen. Look at how we played in Dec after the AIs. I'd be more afraid of an injury to Sexton.
    tolosenc wrote: »
    I'm afraid too. Such negative rugby.

Hopefully Deccie will be sacked on Monday, though.

I'll never understand some fans, when Kidney doesn't pick them he's wrong then when he does and they dont perform and make schollboy mistakes Kidney is to blame and of course it'll be his fault too if one of them pick up an injury playing for their country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

phog wrote: »
    I'll never understand some fans, when Kidney doesn't pick them he's wrong then when he does and they dont perform and make schollboy mistakes Kidney is to blame and of course it'll be his fault too if one of them pick up an injury playing for their country.

You're twisting opinions there, be careful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement