Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Should be a strong enough side. My guess

Nacewa
    Kearney
    O'Malley
    Berne
    Conway
    Madigan
    Boss

Van der Merwe
    Strauss
    Newland
    Toner
    EOD
    McLoughlin
    Ryan
    Ruddock

Would quite like to see that backline in action. Along with the backrow in the team as well, on a good night we could see some flowing rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

bamboozle wrote: »
    i'm glad someone else thinks so, he seems to score everytime he plays and is running amok for Clontarf.

It's weird how he hasn't featured once this season. If your gonna give guys like Kearney and Conway game-time(which I'm all for) then why not Keating. He's been playing very well in all the A games I've watched.

On another note, A move to Connacht might be a good idea for him. I know he's only 21, but with Leinster signing Carr and Schmidt obviously preferring Conway and Dave, it would be a while before he breaks in. As a Leinster fan I would be happy to see guys like Keating and Paul Ryan go off to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Should be a strong enough side. My guess

Nacewa
    Kearney
    O'Malley
    Berne
    Conway
    Madigan
    Boss

Van der Merwe
    Strauss
    Newland
    Toner
    EOD
    McLoughlin
    Ryan
    Ruddock

If that's the team I'd be happy enough.

I think there's enough there at home to Aironi. Would be good to see madigan get a game - he seems to have overtaken Berne in the out half stakes. I'd like Berne there somewhere though - we'll need a few old hands in the back line.

Front row is fine apart from Newland, and the back row is just dandy..

Bench will likely have:
    Jack McGrath
    JHW
    Keogh
    POD
    Morris
    Who would the otherp Props and 2nd row sub be?

anyone know how many players Aironi are down due to internationals?
    According to
    http://www.rfu.com/News/2011/January/News%20Articles/Burton%20earns%20It.aspx
    there are 5 aironi players in the italian squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Sub props will be McGrath and Shawe/Maguire. Second row probably Sheriff or Ruddock Snr.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jolley123 wrote: »
    but with Leinster signing Carr

Is that actually going ahead? Thought it was just a rumour that was semi-quashed. Leinster don't need him.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is that actually going ahead? Thought it was just a rumour that was semi-quashed. Leinster don't need him.

Pretty sure I saw it confirmed in the Connacht signing thread, hope I'm wrong though. He's dipped in form and we don't need him.

jolley123 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw it confirmed in the Connacht signing thread, hope I'm wrong though. He's dipped in form and we don't need him.

He's all but confirmed as not coming to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

durkadurka wrote: »
    If that's the team I'd be happy enough.

I think there's enough there at home to Aironi. Would be good to see madigan get a game - he seems to have overtaken Berne in the out half stakes. I'd like Berne there somewhere though - we'll need a few old hands in the back line.

Front row is fine apart from Newland, and the back row is just dandy..

Bench will likely have:
    Jack McGrath
    JHW
    Keogh
    POD
    Morris
    Who would the otherp Props and 2nd row sub be?

anyone know how many players Aironi are down due to internationals?
    According to
    http://www.rfu.com/News/2011/January/News%20Articles/Burton%20earns%20It.aspx
    there are 5 aironi players in the italian squad.

Saw an interview there last night on Leinster TV with Stephen Keogh about the game tomorrow so I would say he'll be starting in the back row. Madigan has def overtaken Berne at O/H but I would say we'll see Berne at inside centre. It's his natural position IMO. Other than the back line I reckcon CouchSmart has it spot on. Not sure how the back line will play out but I'd say it'll be Keogh, McLaughlin and then either Ryan or Ruddock to start with the other to come on at some stage in the second half.

Don't think we need Carr to be honest. With Shaggy, Ferg, Isa, Fitzy, Conway and D Kearney already in the side for the wings (even considering that 3 of them are utility players) we have the wings well and truly covered. Carr doesn't come in off his wing looking for ball enough so he'd be a good bit down the pecking order if he were to come to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Team announced.

Locky at lock. interesting. Ruddock captain. Still no Berne.
    LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Brendan Macken
    12: Eoin O'Malley
    11: David Kearney
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Paul O'Donohoe

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Clint Newland
    4: Kevin McLaughlin
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Stephen Keogh

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Jason Harris-Wright
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Simon Shawe
    19: Ed O'Donoghue
    20: Paul Ryan/Shane Jennings
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Ian McKinley
    23: Niall Morris

AIRONI:

15: Paolo Buso
    14: Kaine Robertson
    13: Gabriel Pizarro
    12: Horacio San Martin
    11: Danwel Demas
    10: James Marshall
    9: Tito Tebaldi

1: Alberto De Marchi
    2: Roberto Santamaria
    3: Fabio Staibano
    4: Marco Bortolami CAPTAIN
    5: Joshua Furno
    6: Nicola Cattina
    7: Jaco Erasmus
    8: Nick Williams

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Luigi Ferraro
    17: Andrea De Marchi
    18: Luca Redolfini
    19: George Biagi
    20: Andrea Benatti
    21: Pietro Travagli
    22: Alberto Benettin
    23: Matteo Pratichetti

REFEREE: Nigel Owens (WRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Dave Wilkinson (IRFU), Mark Hermin (IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: John Montayne (Leinster Rugby Referees), 5th OFFICIAL: James Fegan (Leinster Rugby Referees), TMO: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)

Kinda delighted with Locky at 4! Very interested in the experiment.

Schmidt not afraid to give captaincy to leaders obviously. Gave SOB the reigns in pre season games, Ruddock in this. Great to see.

Cool team, looking forward to the match.

• Advertisement

20: Paul Ryan/Shane Jennings

Jennings not gonna be involved at the weekend, shocking. Ah well, delighted if we have him for tomorrow.

Not really too happy with POD starting, he's been ****e lately, never gets the ball to the backs, always looking for the break.

McLoughlin to second row is very interesting, if it goes well he could end up spending his future. Hopefully with similar results to Tuohy.

That's some interesting reading there alright. It would be just plain wrong if Jenno didn't feature in at least the 22 for Ireland at the weekend though.

Really cool team. He's right to experiment against Aironi.

Looking forward to seeing Kev at 4,Macken at 13 and Ruddock taking on the responsibility of captaincy. I'm also interested at O'Malley as 12. I've often thought if it's a better position for him.

Looks like we'll be getting Jenno on the bench too. Kidney has excluded him from the 22 for the weekend. Poor decision in my book but it'd be good to have him in the squad tomorrow for Leinster.

Well we're getting Hagan on a 3 year deal according to reports today. What do people think?

I'm now worried certain other front-rowers will be leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/sport/sports-matters-%11-09th-february-2011/
    LOSS OF PROP

There will be considerable disappointment in Connacht at the news that prop Jamie Hagan is heading to Leinster on a three-year deal, just weeks after it was announced that he had agreed to stay with Eric Elwood’s side. Connacht knew from pre-Christmas that established players such as Sean Cronin, Ian Keatley and Fionn Carr were on their way out of the Sportsground but had started building next season’s squad with Hagan as a key figure, so his return to Leinster is a blow.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/2/09/Hagan-move-disappoints-Elwood/gnid-87960/
    Elwood was under the impression that Hagan had agreed to remain with Connacht for the next two seasons and announced in January that the Ireland A international had agreed terms.

However, he since been informed that tighthead prop is on his way to Leinster on a three-year deal.

"We’re disappointed, there's no point in saying otherwise," Elwood is quoted as saying in the Irish Daily Star.

"We believed we had agreed terms but subsequently London Irish entered the frame and then Leinster, and Jamie said he was moving to Leinster on a three-year deal.

"We have no accepted that he is moving on, that's a disappointment but that's the nature of things and we will all move on from here."

So Hagan is more or less confirmed.

I think Ross is heading home to Munster, but, to be honsest, with Stan Wright coming back to fitness and getting the best young tighthead in the country back, I've no problem losing Ross. He's a Munster man, and we're getting back a young and extremely capable tighthead whilst also having Stan Wright, I think it's a fiar deal and a good bit of business. I think in a season or two, when Hagan will become first choce tighthead, there's no reason why he wont be even better than Ross.

I'm just happy to keep Leinster with Leinster players, ideally, I'd love and all Irish Leinster team of academy graduates dominating Europe over the next decade, and not an impossible reality either.

Is Ross really gonna go?

Very odd bit of swapping. Leaving a team at the top for a team that seems to be in freefall.

Makes sense if he just wants to go home though.

Leinster Academy The Envy of Europe

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/french-target-leinster-clubs-2531494.html
    On the week of Ireland's Six Nations showdown with Grand Slam champions France, Leinster face a battle to hold on to their up-and-coming stars as French clubs target their successful Academy operation.

"We know that top French and English clubs are sending people over to look at our Academy," said Des Lamont, chairman of Leinster's provincial team management committee.

"Given the quality of players it has been producing, there is obviously interest in how the operation has been so successful, and, of course, they are also looking at potential recruits."

Academy graduates such as Sean O'Brien, Fergus McFadden, Eoin O'Malley, Dominic Ryan and Rhys Ruddock have been hugely impressive in Leinster's march to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals.

And former prop Reggie Corrigan, who works with the Academy as scrum coach, said it was inevitable that the province's Academy operation would attract overseas interest.

"The Academy system in Leinster is streets ahead of most and the proof is in the quality of players it is producing and the province's success at underage levels," said Corrigan. "It doesn't surprise me that the French and English are taking a close look at it and while there is the risk of Leinster losing players before they are brought through, it is also testament to the good work that is being done there, and a lot of credit must go to (Academy manager) Colin McEntee."

Academy players are expected to feature in Leinster's side to take on Aironi in their Magners League clash at the RDS tomorrow evening, while Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Sexton and the other senior stars prepare for their Six Nations showdown with France.

There was welcome news for Ireland coach Declan Kidney yesterday when No 8 Jamie Heaslip (ankle) and outside back Andrew Trimble (hand) came through training yesterday.

Kidney names his team to take on France today and is expected to stick closely to the side that came away from Rome with a nervy 13-11 victory over Italy.

If Heaslip is brought back in, Denis Leamy could be the one to miss out with Sean O'Brien switching to blindside flanker.

France have made one change to the side that defeated Scotland 34-21 with Clemont Poitrenaud coming in at full-back and Damien Traille switching to the centre.

IRELAND (possible) -- L Fitzgerald; F McFadden, B O'Driscoll (capt), G D'Arcy, K Earls; J Sexton, T O'Leary; C Healy, R Best, M Ross; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell; S O'Brien, D Wallace, J Heaslip.

- Hugh Farrelly

Irish Independent

Is Ross really gonna go?

Very odd bit of swapping. Leaving a team at the top for a team that seems to be in freefall.

No, just speculating, but it is rumoured.

I'd just imagine it would be strange if Leinster had Wright, Ross, Hagan & Maguire as the four tightheads, who'd all get their game as first choice at Munster, and Munster would get no one. It's possible that they'll all stay, as there's been no actual reports of Ross leaving yet, but I'd imagine something is up. Possibly Maguire to Connacht and Ross, Wright & Hagan to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If Ross goes, anger happens. :mad:

• Advertisement

Re the academy, is it the talent walking in the Door of the academy or the academy itself producing the talent.

I'm inclined to think the talent is walking in the door from the schools system

Re the academy, is it the talent walking in the Door of the academy or the academy itself producing the talent.

I'm inclined to think the talent is walking in the door from the schools system

Definitely a little of Column A and a little of Column B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Is Ross really gonna go?

I think it odd that Leinster would just let him go too? I haven't seen any confirmation of this though? I'd love to have Hagan, Healy and Ross at Leinster.

Could we really sustain hagan Healy and Ross along with heinke and stan?

Schmidt could. I doubt we'll have all of them though, unfortunately.

I'd rather Stan/ VDM left tbh. Would be great having 3 Irish props in such a good set-up.

trackguy wrote: »
    I'd rather Stan/ VDM left tbh. Would be great having 3 Irish props in such a good set-up.

Yea but doing that would mean Munster almost certainly importing a foreigner which wouldnt be great for the Irish side. I'd prefer to see Ross or whoever getting loads of game time with another Irish province rather than having 3 Irish guys fight it out over one spot at Leinster.

Yea but doing that would mean Munster almost certainly importing a foreigner which wouldnt be great for the Irish side. I'd prefer to see Ross or whoever getting loads of game time with another Irish province rather than having 3 Irish guys fight it out over one spot at Leinster.

Fair point but don't Munster have Horan, Buckley and Hayes? :cool:

You're right tbf, I was being greedy. One of them would be better off at Munster.

trackguy wrote: »

Wash your mouth out with soap. Stan can't go anywhere, sure he's only just after getting his own t-shirt.

Careful now. Down with that sort of thing! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Leinster Academy The Envy of Europe
    n the week of Ireland's Six Nations showdown with Grand Slam champions France, Leinster face a battle to hold on to their up-and-coming stars as French clubs target their successful Academy operation.

"We know that top French and English clubs are sending people over to look at our Academy," said Des Lamont, chairman of Leinster's provincial team management committee.

"Given the quality of players it has been producing, there is obviously interest in how the operation has been so successful, and, of course, they are also looking at potential recruits."

Academy graduates such as Sean O'Brien, Fergus McFadden, Eoin O'Malley, Dominic Ryan and Rhys Ruddock have been hugely impressive in Leinster's march to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals.

And former prop Reggie Corrigan, who works with the Academy as scrum coach, said it was inevitable that the province's Academy operation would attract overseas interest.

"The Academy system in Leinster is streets ahead of most and the proof is in the quality of players it is producing and the province's success at underage levels," said Corrigan. "It doesn't surprise me that the French and English are taking a close look at it and while there is the risk of Leinster losing players before they are brought through, it is also testament to the good work that is being done there, and a lot of credit must go to (Academy manager) Colin McEntee."

Academy players are expected to feature in Leinster's side to take on Aironi in their Magners League clash at the RDS tomorrow evening, while Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Sexton and the other senior stars prepare for their Six Nations showdown with France.

There was welcome news for Ireland coach Declan Kidney yesterday when No 8 Jamie Heaslip (ankle) and outside back Andrew Trimble (hand) came through training yesterday.

Kidney names his team to take on France today and is expected to stick closely to the side that came away from Rome with a nervy 13-11 victory over Italy.

If Heaslip is brought back in, Denis Leamy could be the one to miss out with Sean O'Brien switching to blindside flanker.

France have made one change to the side that defeated Scotland 34-21 with Clemont Poitrenaud coming in at full-back and Damien Traille switching to the centre.

I'd say they're there checking out talent. I don't think it does any harm if the poach a few players from Leinster schools every year. Leinster need only be concerned about getting the cream of the crop.

It would be hard for clubs to copy Leinsters system because Leinster is a province and clubs are just clubs. Clubs would have to pump money into lots of rugby schools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement