Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

padser wrote: »
    I think a home final is most likely if we finsih runner up to munster, and both of us get through our semis. Can't see the irfu resisting the opportunity to play that final in the avia.

Can't see us catching munster even if we beat them in thomond - too many places for us to slip up

Yeah I agree, much to the disgust of Munster fans, the final would definitely be held in Lansdowne. Too big of a pay day not to. It would be some occassion! Hopefully just as good as the last Leinster / Munster final I was at in Lansdowne! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Congrats to Nacewa! First time captainig the side, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

padser wrote: »
    Can't see the irfu resisting the opportunity to play that final in the avia.

I don't think it's up to the IRFU where the Magners final is played.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hippo wrote: »
    I don't think it's up to the IRFU where the Magners final is played.

It's up to the highest ranked team in the final - if that is Leinster (unlikely) or Munster, then it's up to the Leinster or Munster branch of the IRFU. Ultimately it's the IRFU's decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I vaguely remember someone saying a while back that after the first final it will be moved to a more neutral venue. So if Munster are top of the table and make the final they won't be able to hold the match in Thomand.

Anyone know if that is true?

• Advertisement

David900 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember someone saying a while back that after the first final it will be moved to a more neutral venue. So if Munster are top of the table and make the final they won't be able to hold the match in Thomand.

I don't think the competition is popular enough yet for fans to travel to a final. I can see it going to the highest ranking finalists for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

David900 wrote: »

In general terms I don't see this happening as the competition doesn't have enough of a following for spectators to travel to a neutral ground, both teams involved would obviously but other supporters wouldn't. For a Leinster / Munster final though, a "neutral" Irish venue would be obvious, they'd be able to sell out the Aviva no problem. It'd be different though if it was say the Ospreys and Leinster / Munster, if they chose Murrayfield for example, it wouldn't be anywhere near to capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/results_ulster_ravens.php

On the ulster website it says that there is a match this weekend between the Ulster Ravens and Leinster A.

Can't find squads, where the match is or when it is. Anyone got any information. I reckon Leinster would struggle to put a team out between international commitments and having a game last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Won't be on. Ravens only played on Thursday in the B&I cup. Neither province could field a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

found now - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just wondering what other peoples opinion on this are.

Next season seasons tickets are going on sale on 9 March to existing holders and the remaining tickets will go on general sale on 5 April.

http://leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/7675.php

Does anyone else not think this is way too early?

I personally think it is and puts the branch in a bad light.

With the way things are going for me at work I'm not sure i'll be in the country let alone the greater Dublin area next season. Yet if i want a season ticket, which I do, I have to pay for it 2 months before the current season ends.

If there are any Munster/Ulster/Connacht season ticket holders on the forum it'd be great to here the timeline for next years tickets in your provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Season tickets being renewed in March?! Bizarre, plus an unexpected expense, thanks Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Starting the season ticket renewals while there's big hype (HEC quarter) is just good marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Should McKinley have been allowed to kick against Treviso? It would be better for his developement to be kicking in a winable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

It's usually around this time of the year that renewals are done.

IMO if your job situation is that precarious as to whether you will be in Leinster let alone Ireland, i think the season ticket should be a bit lower down your list of priorities but...I fully understand that fans prioritise things a little differently! Last season I had to relocate to the North in the middle of the season but just I got the train/bus down and continued using my season ticket but I chose not to renew for this season. First time since Leinster introduced the season tickets i didn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I don't see the fuss. Tickets were slightly delayed last season due to the uncertainty surrounding the Italian sides although they still went on sale at a similar stage generally. There is 6 weeks or so from now before you have to commit and even then there will be tickets available on public sale.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a payment plan available to soften the blow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah good point Ruggie.

its funny its the north where i might end up

i just think the leinster branch is too soon with season ticket renewals.

it creates a bad feeling between fans and the branch.

i kinda expect them to knock up the prices and say its because of sexton/heaslip/bod's new contracts (im messing here by the way)

B&I cup QF on Saturday 5th of March against Bedford. With it falling during the 6Ns and with first teams with the international setup and fringe players in the first team it will be interesting to see who is mustered.

2 matches this weekend to pick teams for

Leinster vs Scarlets
    1 VDM
    2 Strauss
    3 Wright
    4 Cullen
    5 Hines
    6 McLaughlin
    7 Jennings
    8 Ruddock
    9 Boss
    10 Sexton
    11 Kearney
    12 McFadden
    13 O'Malley
    14 Conway
    15 Nacewa

16 JHW
    17 McGrath
    18 Newland
    19 Toner
    20 Keogh
    21 POD
    22 McKinley
    23 Morris

Then for the Leinster A
    1 Maguire
    2 Dundon/Sexton
    3 Shawe
    4 EOD
    5 Sheriff
    6 P Ryan
    7 Murphy
    8 D Ryan
    9 Cooney
    10 Madigan
    11 Coghlan-Murray
    12 Sheridan
    13 Hudson
    14 Keating
    15 Riordan

Don't ask me to name a subs bench since I struggled to name a first team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Timing of the a game is unfortunate since a lot of our real 'a's will be playing for the first team

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

11 Coghlan-Murray

Is he back? I've been too busy recently to stay in the loop unfortunately.

• Advertisement

lemansky wrote: »
    Is he back? I've been too busy recently to stay in the loop unfortunately.
    forgot about that sorry, not sure who to put at 11 then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Wow, that's really tough having these two on at the same weekend. We should have a fair few internationals back thoughas it's an off weekend if I'm not mistaken? So maybe..

Leinster v Scarlets:

1. Van Der Merwe
    2. Strauss
    3. Wright
    4. Cullen
    5. Hines
    6. McLoughlin
    7. Jennings
    8. O'Brien

9. Reddan
    10. Sexton
    11. D. Kearney
    12. McFadden
    13. O'Malley
    14. Conway
    15. Nacewa

16. Harris-Wright 17. Newland 18. Healy 19. Toner 20. D. Ryan 21. Boss 22. Madigan 23. Morris

Leinster v Bedford

1. McGrath
    2. Sexton
    3. Maguire
    4. Sherrif
    5. O'Donoghue
    6. Murphy
    7. P. Ryan
    8. Keogh

9. O'Donoghue
    10. McKinley
    11. Hudson
    12. Reid
    13. Sheridan
    14. Keating
    15. Riordan

Tough to name team, particularly in the backs, and the sub-academy will need to be relied on. Would love Leinster to win the B&I cup, but our resourses will be really stretched for this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I doubt SOB and Healy will be released, Ireland never seem to release players who started the previous weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Or reddan

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would think it'll be

VDM, Strauss, Wright, Toner, Hines, KMcL, Jennings, Keogh;
    Boss, Sexton, Kearney, McFadden, O'Malley, Conway, Nacewa

Harris-Wright, Newland, McGrath, Ruddock, Dom. Ryan, POD, McKinley, Morris

With players from that bench dropping on to the A-team (Harris-Wright, McGrath, POD, Morris) as has happened before. Especially given the gap between the games.

What's the story with Horgan?

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Will team be announced today??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Will team be announced today??

I believe it was Thursday last week (with the Friday game) I would guess it will be Thursday as well, just to give him as much time with players who have been released from the Ireland squad.

LEINSTER:
    15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Niall Morris
    13: Eoin O'Malley
    12: Fergus McFadden
    11: Dave Kearney
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Isaac Boss
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Stan Wright
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Dominic Ryan
    8: Rhys Ruddock
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Jason Harris-Wright
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Simon Shawe
    19: Nathan Hines
    20: Paul Ryan
    21: Paul O'Donohoe
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Daniel Riordan
    The actual team, I presume that jennings and Horgan is still injured, surprised to see riordan in the squad, presumably conway will start in the B&I cup, he is the top try scorer in that competition so he should get to defend it, mckinley should be starting against Bedford too. I wonder if Newland has left or is in the B&I cup. His contract was originally supposed to run till sometime in Febuary but was extended on a week to week basis while Wright was not fully back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Shame about Newland. Never quite worked out for him.

Delighted they've picked an exciting team for a big match. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Wright & McLaughlin take more steps to fitness, Ruddock at 8 again, Johnny back to his best in blue, and also the McFadden - O'Malley partnership reunited again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Great to see Niall Morris getting rewarded for his impressive cameos from the bench. Hope it goes well for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement