Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Kaka10

He doesn't want to play for them, hes fully committed to Leinster.

New Zealand tried everything in their power to get his cap annuled so he could play for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dear o dear Sean O Brien!

Actually probably is suited for here - will be cited me thinks!

Its bad but 6.McLaughlin 7.Jennings and 8.Heaslip is still one of the best backrows in the competition. O'Brien has been our best player so its a massive blow but I think Jennings lessens the blow somewhat.

I don't know if he will be cited for that tbh. Not that it doesn't deserve it, I just can't think of any incidents similar to it that resulted in bans?

Did Armitage get cited for the "sneaky punch" the other day?

VdMerve was brilliant when he came on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Kaka10 wrote: »
    He doesn't want to play for them, hes fully committed to Leinster.

New Zealand tried everything in their power to get his cap annuled so he could play for them.
    He'll play for Fiji in Sep/Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JustinDee wrote: »
    He'll play for Fiji in Sep/Oct.

Is he? I thought he didn't want to play for them?

Is he? I thought he didn't want to play for them?
    According to anonymous people on the net or an interview when he was trying to qualify for the country he was brought up in since a toddler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

He stated in an interview in the IT during the week that he's declining the offer to play for Fiji in the world cup.

Interview

Funkstard wrote: »
    He stated in an interview in the IT during the week that he's declining the offer to play for Fiji in the world cup.

Interview
    Cheers. One less Kiwi on the Fiji team, I suppose. Wouldn't mind but that bloody paper is here beside me! Lol Never got to read it as Munster game started.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Cheers. One less Kiwi on the Fiji team, I suppose. Wouldn't mind but that bloody paper is here beside me! Lol Never got to read it as Munster game started.

Shortened version of the story is that Nacewa isn't Fijian. He was born and raised in NZ, but his Dad was born in Fiji. He was practically tricked into playing 5 minutes for Fiji as a flown in replacement at a world cup. NZ tried to have the cap rescinded so he could play for the All Blacks, but they obviously failed. After that, he left for Europe. He has very little connection to Fiji, and understandably doesn't want to play for them.

Shame that it played out the way it did, as I would put him in a world 15. Possibly the only player playing in Europe to deserve a world 15 place.

• Advertisement

I know that he played for them but tricked? Nah. Took a jump at intl rugby and now regrets it. How do you get tricked into playing for a world cup side??? Lol
    Rules have been clear since 2000. Play Sevens, A level (or equivalent), Senior for a country and that's your lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I know that he played for them but tricked? Nah. Took a jump at intl rugby and now regrets it. How do you get tricked into playing for a world cup side??? Lol
    Rules have been clear since 2000. Play Sevens, A level (or equivalent), Senior for a country and that's your lot.
    He was 21ish and the Fijian rugby union came in with Lawyers and other "experts" swearing up and down that games played for Fiji wouldn't restrict him to only playing for Fiji.

At least thats what I've read

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Lord allmighty, I was just trying to be helpful and answer your question. Your 'lol' doesn't exactly want to make me feel like clarifying why I said, 'PRACTICALLY tricked'.

Silly boy, if so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I don't know if he will be cited for that tbh. Not that it doesn't deserve it, I just can't think of any incidents similar to it that resulted in bans?

Did Armitage get cited for the "sneaky punch" the other day?

VdMerve was brilliant when he came on today.

O'Connell was banned for 4 weeks against the Osprey's for a similar type of incident.

Nyanga deserved it and O'Brien has a good record, so maybe that'll stand to him, but with the final 3 weeks away I'm very worried.

If O'Connell was banned for 4 weeks then with good legal representation it would not be impossible to get O'Brien's ban down to 3 weeks on appeal. O'Brien has an unblemished record and was being prevented from stopping a try in a hugely important game. If played right he might make it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If O'Connell was banned for 4 weeks then with good legal representation it would not be impossible to get O'Brien's ban down to 3 weeks on appeal. O'Brien has an unblemished record and was being prevented from stopping a try in a hugely important game. If played right he might make it to the final.

Apparently the rugby appeals board aren't bound by precedent, and are allowed rule based on however the **** they like.

I also have a certain degree of confidence that for every POC gets 4 weeks incident we can find some obscure second division French player who only missed a game for it. Just have to dig deep enough.

Don't read too much into POC :)

It's pretty true, the culprit of one of the most dangerous things I have ever seen on a rugby field only got 5 weeks. Citings are very inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MoMo1987

just wondering if the rumors about richardt strauss being able to play for ireland soon are true? if so when? would be great to have an extra hooker for the WC

MoMo1987 wrote: »
    just wondering if the rumors about richardt strauss being able to play for ireland soon are true? if so when? would be great to have an extra hooker for the WC
    In time for 2012/13 season, I believe.

• Advertisement

MoMo1987 wrote: »

Unfortunately won't be able until 2012, he'll be our hooker for 2015 and 2019 though! He'll be just turned 33 by 2019, well able for it! Hes world class right now, could be as good as Keith Wood on the international stage and I don't say that lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Unfortunately won't be able until 2012, he'll be our hooker for 2015 and 2019 though! He'll be just turned 33 by 2019, well able for it! Hes world class right now, could be as good as Keith Wood on the international stage and I don't say that lightly

He has a long way to be that good. BOD hasn't even won the personal awards that Wood has ie. IRB player of the year. But Strauss will be an excellent international hooker when he returns to SA.

November 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

He has a long way to be that good. BOD hasn't even won the personal awards that Wood has ie. IRB player of the year. But Strauss will be an excellent international hooker when he returns to SA.

He's going nowhere. He's stated that he's committed to Irish rugby.

shit stir elsewhere si vous plait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

shit stir elsewhere si vous plait...

Ah come on, can you not leave a few snide remarks slide after such a horrible day of rugby?

Ah come on, can you not leave a few snide remarks slide after such a horrible day of rugby?

:confused:

If your only input to this thread is to come in and look for ****s and giggles by trying to stir the waters, you shouldn't be allowed post here.

[Jackass] isn't allowed post in the Munster Thread...

Take your anger/frustration/annoyance out somewhere else? Go outside! It's probably nice there!

Also, it's been an excellent day of rugby!

:pac:

His form this season is as good as anything Wood produced. Wood edges him obviously because of his leadership but if were going solely on performances then Strauss is just as good. Strauss is going to be one of the best hookers to ever have played for Ireland if he stays here and keeps up that kind of form.

P.S Everyone knows BOD was robbed in 2009

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

no it isnt

you're comparing a guy who has played a pretty good season at hooker with a guy who went on 2 lions tours and has the record for the most amount of trys scored by a guy in his position!

when ireland were awful, and i mean worse than scotland in recent years, wood was taking it to teams who barely had to try to beat us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement