Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

TBH after seeing Andrew Conway in the B&I I am even more convinced that hes going to be world class player. Hes 18 and he was ripping it up and anyone who saw him would agree. I think Schmidt has been very sensible and decided that at 18 he doesn't want his head getting too big so is letting him ply his trade in the B&I. Conway is 90kgs which is the same weight as Earls and Trimble and 9kilos heavier than Paddy Wallace and only 2kgs off Fitzgerald, Howlett and Sexton so I really don't know where the "hes too physically small" brigade are coming from but I suspect its just an excuse to knock him for no reason because the facts simply don't lie. Conway has smashed through tackles whenever hes played I really dont know how this myth started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

He has taken a lot of injuries this year, it could just be coincidence but it could be the step up in physicality. Height and weight are one thing but I'm talking about the bodies reaction to the increased physicality, he would have been up against smaller lighter players in the past just because you've grown doesn't mean that your body is developed enough for that just yet.

Jemo wrote: »
    He has taken a lot of injuries this year, it could just be coincidence but it could be the step up in physicality. Height and weight are one thing but I'm talking about the bodies reaction to the increased physicality, he would have been up against smaller lighter players in the past just because you've grown doesn't mean that your body is developed enough for that just yet.

To be honest I'm pretty sure he just had one bad neck injury and then a reoccuring ankle problem that was unrelated to any physicality. I may be wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

bamboozle wrote: »
    completely agree, i've no qualms in saying Keating is a far better player than David Kearney but suffered from having the wrong surname this season. Very few backs in Irish rugby who can glide through tackles and side step so easily. Dare i say it but his best position would be 15, he was never going to have a look in at 15 for Leinster, maybe Doncaster will play him there?

He'll be missed by Clontarf (assuming next season they give the backs some ball!)

Have to say, completely disagree with you there bamboozle, I think D Kearney has been brilliant in most of the games he's played this year, and far more effective than Conway has been. Think it's unfair to say that his surname has done anything for him, because he's been one of our form outside backs in the ML this year imo. If Keating was good enough, and I've never seen him play so I don't know, but if he was, Joe would surely have him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

It could be either really, but the most important thing is that he comes back next season with full confidence and tries get gametime in a congested back 3. We'll have Carr, Horgan, Fitzy, Isa, Kearneyx2, McFadden and Conway plus one or two other prospects coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Not sure those stats are right, Leinster had him at 82kg at the beginning of the year, cant imagine he's put on 8kg during the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

A interesting topic was brought up on the Connacht thread about how the Leinster academy will look very different next year.
    These players are leaving due to moving up or parting ways:

Ian McKinley
    Michael Keating
    John Cooney
    Mark Flanagan
    Ian Madigan
    Stewart Maguire
    Dominic Ryan

Just wondering who you guys would expect to be there next year.
    My guess on a few players:
    Dan Leavy
    Conor Gilsenan
    Jordan Coghlan
    Luke McGrath
    Edward Bynre
    Conor McEllin
    Martin Moore
    Mark Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jolley123 wrote: »
    These players are leaving due to moving up or parting ways:

Ian McKinley
    Michael Keating
    John Cooney
    Mark Flanagan
    Ian Madigan
    Stewart Maguire
    Dominic Ryan
    Also Sexton and Sheridan are in there final year and will move up

I think Alex Kelly and Andrew Boyle may get a place in the academy, they did a good job when called in for the U20s national team

Remaining in the leinster academy are (years shown are their current status)
    Year 2
    Ciarán Ruddock lock

Year 1
    Sam Coghlan-Murray back three player
    Jordi Murphy backrow
    Darren Hudson universal back
    Jack O'Connell prop
    Noel Reid outhalf
    Ben Marshall lock/backrow (leinster website profile says lock while his only senior appearance was at no8)

EDIT changed slightly due to correction

Marshall is only year one, meaning Ruddock will be the only final year member next year, altho I'm sure he could get a contract with any of the Welsh sides now if he wanted. Just shows the rate at which the guys are becoming pros, good to see. I'd imagine there wont be too many guys coming straight from school, perhaps McGrath and one or two of the Clongowes lads.

Moore, Tracy, Doyle, Kearney, Kelly, Boyle will all make the cut I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

TBH after seeing Andrew Conway in the B&I I am even more convinced that hes going to be world class player. Hes 18 and he was ripping it up and anyone who saw him would agree. I think Schmidt has been very sensible and decided that at 18 he doesn't want his head getting too big so is letting him ply his trade in the B&I. Conway is 90kgs which is the same weight as Earls and Trimble and 9kilos heavier than Paddy Wallace and only 2kgs off Fitzgerald, Howlett and Sexton so I really don't know where the "hes too physically small" brigade are coming from but I suspect its just an excuse to knock him for no reason because the facts simply don't lie. Conway has smashed through tackles whenever hes played I really dont know how this myth started.

are these numbers right?

i find it hard to believe that wallace is 81kg? im similar height and even after running a marathon would have been heavier than that.

im not a big fan of conversations about how great schools players were or will be. schools is against your direct age group. seniors is against fellas that have 10 years experience and have very good skill sets to match i.e. a completely different game.

from seeing conway play for leinster he looks like he has potential but is far from being the finished article.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    from seeing conway play for leinster he looks like he has potential but is far from being the finished article.

Completely agree, and would like to add that I'm delighted that he's not near being the finished article yet. We don't want this guy (or any of our academy guys really!), being good enough to contest first team spots at other clubs yet.

It's important to have them grow and develop with the team around them, so that eventually they can slot into place without any hassle. We don't "need" Conway yet, we don't really "need" D.Kearney yet even. But if they keep their progression up, their skills sharp and stay within the team, they'll be ready the second that we do turn to them.

It's no good to the Academy to push through 15 stars one year, not being able to accommodate them, and 9 of them leaving to go play for Scarletts, Leicester, Toulon etc. Then the following year only having 3 "graduating". Its important that these guys all come through in a somewhat steady and filtered progression. It's working alongside players like BOD and Cullen when you're 18/21 that will benefit these guys hugely. A rugby player peaking at 21 is very uncommon, and in my eyes, could be detrimental to their career. Any of the guys entering the academies at 18/19 know that they're in it for the long slog, that they hope to start getting game time in the next 2/3 seasons, and that they're going to try keep a position for the following 6/7.

tl;dr, Conway, keep doing what you're doing, you can be a star from 2015 onwards.

are these numbers right?

i find it hard to believe that wallace is 81kg? im similar height and even after running a marathon would have been heavier than that.
    Its the number thats on the ulster website but it kinda surprises me. I'm an inch taller than him and have been 80kg or more since I was around 14

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hype710 wrote: »
    Marshall is only year one, meaning Ruddock will be the only final year member next year, altho I'm sure he could get a contract with any of the Welsh sides now if he wanted. Just shows the rate at which the guys are becoming pros, good to see. I'd imagine there wont be too many guys coming straight from school, perhaps McGrath and one or two of the Clongowes lads.

Moore, Tracy, Doyle, Kearney, Kelly, Boyle will all make the cut I'd imagine.

Tracy is remaining in the sub academy and is being asked to put on some more weight, according to a mate.

Kelly and Boyle are two players I rate highly and who should be in the academy. Doyle is absolutely good enough for the academy, I'd be very surprised if he hasn't been approached already. Kearney is sure to be offered something, Moore I'm not so sure about.

Tracy is remaining in the sub academy and is being asked to put on some more weight, according to a mate.

Kelly and Boyle are two players I rate highly and who should be in the academy. Doyle is absolutely good enough for the academy, I'd be very surprised if he hasn't been approached already. Kearney is sure to be offered something, Moore I'm not so sure about.

With Maguire leaving and Moore showing excellent scrummaging in the u20 six nations, i'm positive he'll get the nod.

Hype710 wrote: »
    Not sure those stats are right, Leinster had him at 82kg at the beginning of the year, cant imagine he's put on 8kg during the season.

Absolutely they're right, he was 88kg during schools rugby so I doubt he dropped 6kilos when he went professional!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Its the number thats on the ulster website but it kinda surprises me. I'm an inch taller than him and have been 80kg or more since I was around 14

he really doesnt look 81 kg's.

on the irfu website it has him at that and a height of 5 11 but it also has trimble at 98 and a height of 6 2.

trimble is no way 17kg heavier.

are these numbers right?

im not a big fan of conversations about how great schools players were or will be. schools is against your direct age group. seniors is against fellas that have 10 years experience and have very good skill sets to match i.e. a completely different game.

Yeah they're correct. Hes ripped up the B&I so I dont think its a stretch to say that if hes doing that at 18 then hes well able for the seniors. Hes also had some excellent cameos for the seniors as well. Hes probably the fastest player in Irish rugby right now, I heard he used to finish well ahead of Zebo and O'Halloran in sprinting during the Irish camps and Zebo looks fast as it is!

he really doesnt look 81 kg's.

on the irfu website it has him at that and a height of 5 11 but it also has trimble at 98 and a height of 6 2.

trimble is no way 17kg heavier.

I would say he is, '3 makes a big difference and Trimble is quite muscular. Wallace is around the same weight as O'Gara which makes sense.

I would say he is, '3 makes a big difference and Trimble is quite muscular. Wallace is around the same weight as O'Gara which makes sense.

wallace is bigger than o gara

see the attached pic, o gara doesnt have the shoulders or arms that wallace has. wallace also has a big arse :pac:

wallace is bigger than o gara

see the attached pic, o gara doesnt have the shoulders or arms that wallace has. wallace also has a big arse :pac:

He doesn't even look big in that big. Your confusing the fact that hes lean with being big, his arms are actually very small. Hes smaller in height as well which makes sense. PaddyWallace.jpg
    Every single site has him between 80-84kgs. Do you think all those sites are wrong as well as the Leinster site being wrong about Conway or do you think that maybe, just maybe, it is you who is wrong?

• Advertisement

Most homoerotic discussion ever...

Which obviously is fine if that's what you're into

Most homoerotic discussion ever...

Which obviously is fine if that's what you're into

I was thinking it was all getting a bit gay but ah sure its the gay theatre festival week so why not

These numbere are very questionable.

Conway is heavier than 81/82. Paddy Wallace is DEFINITELY heavier than that.

What's the story with the semi, will it be in the Aviva?

Just realised it can't because of that whole agreement with the Europa final?

What's the story with the semi, will it be in the Aviva?

Just realised it can't because of that whole agreement with the Europa final?
    It will be in the RDS, Europa Final agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Semi final: Friday, 13th May; KO 19:05, RDS; Live on TG4/BBC NI - I think.

Works out well for us. 8 day turn around for the HC final.

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Semi final: Friday, 13th April; KO 19:05, RDS; Live on TG4/BBC NI - I think.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Semi final: Friday, 13th May; KO 19:05, RDS; Live on TG4/BBC NI - I think.

Glad we have the extra day, but wish they would stick to 7.30 or later on weekday evenings.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Strange game tonight, but a good run out, with what seemed like no injuries.

Also, again I'll say it, D Kearney has been one of our ML players of the season, yet he's not being hyped up?!
    Yet Conway has shown only glimpses of what he's capable of, and is being hailed as a hero?

Just don't get it lads! We should be hyping BOTH up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Kearneys really come on this year. If he was in munster they'd be saying he has to go to the wc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement