Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

theres a few wild comments being thrown around about peoples weights and heights. its about being strong and agile not having a heavy weight. gio aplon is one of the best utility backs in the world and hes under 80kgs and 5'9. conway is much bigger and stonger and more physical than paddy wallace. generally the young guys are as there conditioning is much more advanced than say odriscoll or darcy got when they were that age.

on the subject of keating. he cant kick or pass well enough to be a full back and he never will at professional level. he's a winger and a good winger. dave kearney was never considered a better prospect than his brother at underage level. he's definitely got more of a chance than keating because of his name but thats not his fault and hes takin his opportunites well at leinster. this is only natural and happens in everything. conway is 2 years younger so its hard to compare the 2.

the heights and weights of players are taken when they first join a team and then that is put up on the website and left there forever. paddy wallace is realistically about 85-90kgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

roycon wrote: »
    Dave Kearney was never considered a better prospect than his brother at underage level. he's definitely got more of a chance than keating because of his name but thats not his fault and hes takin his opportunites well at leinster. this is only natural and happens in everything.

I highly doubt that Kearney is where he is because of his name. More like, Keating was in the academy, so Schmidt and co. felt it was better to play him in the B&I cup to continue his development. It just so happened that Kearney took his chance very well. I agree with you in that I think Keating is a better prospect than Kearney, but I disagree with you when you bring the whole name thing into debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

roycon wrote: »
    dave kearney was never considered a better prospect than his brother at underage level. he's definitely got more of a chance than keating because of his name but thats not his fault and hes takin his opportunites well at leinster. this is only natural and happens in everything. conway is 2 years younger so its hard to compare the 2.

For a while before the injury he was, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

So Northampton have to go to Leicester next week for a bruising contest.

This surely a help to us, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    So Northampton have to go to Leicester next week for a bruising contest.

This surely a help to us, no?
    Leicster are a very physical team and when they played Leinster a few players picked up knocks. D'arcy and O'Driscoll missed the next match and a couple of players were doubtfull in the week coming up to the match.

I guess Leinster will be hoping that they do the same thing to Northampton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Or if they get through with all players intact its surely great preparation for the kind of game they will try impose on Leinster?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Think we've a serious advantage here lads.
    Nhampton go to Welford Rd on the Sunday, and we play at home to an understrength Ulster on the Friday.

In 09, it was widely acknowledged that Tigers looked tired against us, and had a lot of injuries too if I remember, so I'll be hoping that Leicester beat them up a bit!

The extra two days are huge.

The travel from northampton to Leicester is only an hour or so from my memory so that's not a factor but the whole getting beaten up in Leicester thing will make a difference with a short recovery time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

David900 wrote: »
    Or if they get through with all players intact its surely great preparation for the kind of game they will try impose on Leinster?

That could be the case and also could provide them with vital momentum for the final but regardless if they win or lose against Leicester, their players will be feeling the season physically. The majority of their starting team have about 30 games played already this season; there's not a strong enough squad to give them a rest. Most of those appearances are starts also with very little in terms of bench appearances. Someone like Mujati has 29 starts under his belt already. Tonga'uiha has 30. Downey 29. Clarke 29. Lawes has 23 starts despite missing the entire 6N and a few Northampton games too with injury. The average Leinster starter has about 20-25 appearances and even less starts. Jennings has 18 starts. Healy has 20. Hines has 22. BOD has 22. Nacewa has more game time than anyone with 28 starts. That's including all international appearances.

I reckon the last thing Northampton want before going to Cardiff is a bruising encounter with a big, mean Leicester pack. The majority of their team were playing today in a dogfight with Leeds and will be next week and in the final. They also had to empty their bench a little earlier than planned today with some of their big players coming into the fray at half time when I would think Mallinder was hoping to give them a week off.

Still very concerned about their scrum which absolutely smashed Leeds apart today including a penalty try. My mind was set at ease somewhat when I realised our old mate Gomez was tighthead for Leeds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

We definitely have a huge advantage against Northampton going into the final. 8 days vs 6 is huge in terms of recovery. Factor in that they're away, I know it's not far but still. I've a feeling they're focused on the HEC though. Yes getting knocked out of the AP semi's won't be nice for them but having a HEC final the following week would soften the blow. Hard to know how they'll play it next week.

For Leinster next week I'm starting to think we might see something like

11. Fitz
    12. O'Malley
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. McFadden

Rest Horgan who, if he plays, would be looking at 6 weeks straight, a bit too much to ask of him IMO. Also rewards O'Malley for his efforts this season and let's McFadden and Fitz battle it out for the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Where is everyone getting the 8 days from? Aviva premiership site says 14th at 3.15

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premiership/rugby/index.php

I think that's been changed. Because I looked at that site earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

The extra couple of days is brilliant, but lets not forget that Ulster in a semi-final is a seriously physical outing for our pack. The backline not so much thankfully as our backs tend to tire more easily than the forwards. I'd go with

15. Isa
    14. McFadden
    13. BOD
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    09. Reddan
    08. Heaslip
    07. Jennings
    06. SOB
    05. Cullen
    04. Hines
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. Healy

Basically a full force team, resting Shaggy as he has had a lot of rugby since returning from injury. Most of the others have had some rest of late, Heaslip seems to have come into his own so I wouldn't disrupt his flow. We need all our major units working together before the final so that any flaws can be ironed out. Ulster are good preparation for NH, and will put it up to us I think. This is possibly their last game of the season, they will be there to win and the young lads will want to send a message to Kidney.

Jemo wrote: »
    The extra couple of days is brilliant, but lets not forget that Ulster in a semi-final is a seriously physical outing for our pack. The backline not so much thankfully as our backs tend to tire more easily than the forwards. I'd go with

15. Isa
    14. McFadden
    13. BOD
    12. D'Arcy
    11. Fitzgerald
    10. Sexton
    09. Reddan
    08. Heaslip
    07. Jennings
    06. SOB
    05. Cullen
    04. Hines
    03. Ross
    02. Strauss
    01. Healy

Basically a full force team, resting Shaggy as he has had a lot of rugby since returning from injury. Most of the others have had some rest of late, Heaslip seems to have come into his own so I wouldn't disrupt his flow. We need all our major units working together before the final so that any flaws can be ironed out. Ulster are good preparation for NH, and will put it up to us I think. This is possibly their last game of the season, they will be there to win and the young lads will want to send a message to Kidney.

I think I'd go with that team, give the lads a full force run out.

I would make sure to change props early. HVM hasn't got a lot of rugby recently, he has played 40 minutes of rugby since the 17th of April and could do with a decent run out, 30 minutes or so I'd say. Similar with Wright, he hasn't been in good form since he came back from injury but will be on the bench against Northampton a physical team with a quality scrum and a patricularly good loosehead prop. I think he will be called upon at some stage of the game so I would give him half an hour to help work out some kinks.

Dominic Ryan won tackle of the year, does anyone know what tackle it was? Is it the Clermont one?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

jolley123 wrote: »
    Is it the Clermont one?

The very one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Does anyone have a linky to the tackle? Had a look on youtube at this is the only tackle of his I could find against Clermont (@7.57)

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Does anyone have a linky to the tackle? Had a look on youtube at this is the only tackle of his I could find against Clermont (@7.57)

That's the one. Watch from about 7:30. The ground he makes up and the way he tackles are superb - he stops the offload which would've led to a try. That tackle kept us in the BP range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

CouchSmart wrote: »
    That's the one. Watch from about 7:30. The ground he makes up and the way he tackles are superb - he stops the offload which would've led to a try. That tackle kept us in the BP range.

You're right actually, it was a very good tackle. I looked at that tackle in isolation from the build up. I had my eye out for a typically huge tackle like on Cuisiter last year.

Like it says in the video, preventing the offload was brilliant. Great strength to pull him down like that when he was tackling him from so high up.

So similar to the Munster thread, what is our prospective team during the WC?

Van De Merwe, Strauss, Hagan, Sykes, Browne, P Ryan, D Ryan, Ruddock;
    Boss, Madigan, Kearney, Sheridan (Berquist), O'Malley, Carr, Nacewa

JHW, McGrath, Shawe, Browne, Marshall, Cooney, McKinley, Conway

?

• Advertisement

Squad looks so depleted when you put up a teamsheet.

1.Heinek Van der Merwe
    2.Richardt Strauss
    3.Jamie Hagan
    4.Steven Sykes
    5.Devin Toner
    6.Rhys Ruddock
    7.Dominic Ryan
    8.Paul Ryan
    9.Isaac Boss
    10.Ian McKinley
    11.Fionn Carr
    12.Matt Berquist
    13.Eoin O'Malley
    14.Andrew Conway
    15.Isa Nacewa

16.Jason Harris-Wright/Aaron Dundon
    17.Jack McGrath
    18.Simon Shawe/Martin Moore
    19.Damien Browne/Ed O'Donoghue
    20.Jordie Murphy/Leo Aueva
    21.John Cooney
    22.Ian Madigan
    23.D.Kearney/B.Macken/E.Sheridan

Should be a great chance for a few guys to show their worth.

I suppose it depends on who is gone

You have to assume
    Healy, Cronin, Ross, Cullen, Heaslip, SOB, Redden, Sexton, D'arcy, O'Driscoll, and Kearney are all going

The following would have to be classed as maybes
    McLoughlin, Jennings, Boss, McFadden, Fitzgerald and Horgan

Assuming that all the maybes are brought the starting line up would probably be
    VDM
    Strauss
    Hagan
    Toner
    Sykes
    D Ryan
    P Ryan
    Ruddock
    Cooney
    Carr
    Bergvist
    Macken
    O'Malley
    D Kearney
    Nacewa

JHW/Dundon
    Shawe
    McGrath
    Browne
    J Murphy
    DuToit
    McKinley
    Conway

That said Boss, Horgan, either McFadden or Fitzgerald and either McLoughlin or Jennings will probably be left behind and inject some experience into the team. If Boss doesn't go to the WC I'd expect Madigan or McKinley to get a run at 10 during the WC

Is it definite Sykes won't be going to the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Pretty much. Very, very doubtful anyway.

“That’s a position we’re looking to add to, to strengthen a little bit. His size in particular fits the profile we’re trying to cover during a period where we could be without our Irish-qualified locks and potentially, maybe our new signing Steven Sykes’s availability could be an issue (were he to be selected in the Springboks World Cup squad).

That said Sykes has talked about playing international rugby for Ireland so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Leo Au'va might get game time at 8, seems to have been training with the team all season.

Hype710 wrote: »
    Leo Au'va might get game time at 8, seems to have been training with the team all season.
    I don't think so, I know he trains with the senior team occasionally and has turned out for A team but I don't think he has trained with them all season.

There are reports that he was offered a contract by Connacht last summer but he turned it down because he was only offered a 1 year contract and he has a job with a good salary and he didn't want to give it up.

If that is true then I don't see why he would train all season with Leinster.

I'd rather push Browne into the back row if an extra backrower is needed during the WC.

Special presentations were also made to the imminent departing and retiring members of the squad to thank them for their service while Shane Horgan - the first player in Leinster's history to pass the 200 cap mark - was also acknowledged.

Was anyone at the Leinster awards and if so was there any surprises in the imminent departing and retiring members of the squad.

We know about Wright, Hines, Morris, Berne, O'Donoghue and Keating

I presume players who retired during the season were also honored with presentations

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Was anyone at the Leinster awards and if so was there any surprises in the imminent departing and retiring members of the squad.

We know about Wright, Hines, Morris, Berne, O'Donoghue and Keating

I presume players who retired during the season were also honored with presentations
    There's a picture of Eoin Sheriff on inpho.ie receiving an award along with the other departing players you mentioned. I assume Sheriff is moving on too.

• Advertisement

Very surprising if they are letting Sherriff move on. He'd be needed next season during the WC for depth. Unless he's been offered a substantial deal overseas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement