Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

Well I guess they are expecting Healy and maybe Fogs and Ross to travel to the RWC which as a worst case scenario would leave a first choice front row of Stan, Strauss, McGrath. One inexperienced player in a front row is enough I believe, McGrath needs to get bench experience before he plummets into the starting 15, plus we have the british and irish cup to worry about. Ross has a new coach who values the scrum, the chance to go to a rwc and his main opposition disapearring to spur him on next year. If he can't cement his place with such motivation then he never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yup, it's now or never for Ross. I really hope he steps up.

As for the Heaslip comments, I think he is by far the best and most important Irish & Leinster forward.

He's irreplacable in both set ups, no one comes close to making the impact he does. (O'Connell has been very dropable for a while now. Reputation has kept him where he is imo.)

Heaslip will be the next Leinster, Irish and possibly Lions captain.

I'll be interested in seeing how this new prop does. Not well known (or at least I've never heard of him :confused:), but if he does half as well as Stan has, we'll be on to a winner.

Hats off to Jamie alright, he is probably our most important player on the pitch at provincial and national level, and for me was the best Lions forward. I remember a comment when he was breaking through (think it might have been Hook, not definite though) that he would never make much of an 8 because he couldn't control the ball at scrumtime. It shows how far he has come that he is probably the best number 8 in world rugby now for picking and tidying bad scrum ball, particularly when its going backwards, he always makes ground. Of course he has had lots of practice behind scrums going in reverse :D.

With O'Connell, I just don't understand the fuss, for me he is the third best second row in Ireland behind DOC and Cullen in that order. He just isn't at the races for most games unfortunately. I hope Toner gets more involved next year, his development was great the previous season but he has faded away (albeit injuries and good form from Mal and Hines have played their part). He had been picking nice hard low running lines when he had game time, a bit like the Jackman of old. It would be a pity for him to turn into a reserve journeyman like MOD. Its unfortunate because he had too much promise to be sent away but not quite enough to force his way into the starting team, it's a double edged blade I'm afraid!

POC is world class on his day, but has been out of form/sorts for quite a while. This hasn't been reflected in Irish selection policy, but hopefully some of the Leinster locks this year can break through and prove themselves worthy of the Jersey.

We all know Leo is a man mountain on the pitch, I'm looking forward to seeing how Ed O'Donoghue can get on in the Leinster pack, I feel Toner is too lightweight at scrum time, while an incredible tool in the lineout, I don't think this makes up for lack of power.

Hopefully either of these guys can push on now with plenty of gametime opportunities in the next season and prove themselves worthy succesors' of Mal's Leinster Jersey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jemo wrote: »
    I remember a comment when he was breaking through (think it might have been Hook, not definite though) that he would never make much of an 8 because he couldn't control the ball at scrumtime. It shows how far he has come that he is probably the best number 8 in world rugby now for picking and tidying bad scrum ball, particularly when its going backwards, he always makes ground.

I don't recall him ever having a problem with controlling the ball at scrumtime. It was a complaint levelled at Leamy alright at the time, but it's always been one of Heaslip's strengths as far as I remember.
    It's a odd one to a degree Leinster don't need a new prop a academy player would do fine and would be more beneficial to Leinster and Ireland.

Leinster needed another prop. With 8 man benches in the HEC and possibly the ML next year you'd be throwing an academy player straight into the bench for all the important games. Never mind the fact that Healy is likely to miss a large number of games next year because of the stupid player management lark as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

Jemo wrote: »
    Well I guess they are expecting Healy and maybe Fogs and Ross to travel to the RWC which as a worst case scenario would leave a first choice front row of Stan, Strauss, McGrath. One inexperienced player in a front row is enough I believe, McGrath needs to get bench experience before he plummets into the starting 15, plus we have the british and irish cup to worry about. Ross has a new coach who values the scrum, the chance to go to a rwc and his main opposition disapearring to spur him on next year. If he can't cement his place with such motivation then he never will.

them two only chance of making the rwc is injury to alot of player,

the signing of a prop makes no sence at all,

do leinster fans think ross will stay

outwest wrote: »

This is his chance, its really now or never for him at Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

How does it make no sense? We'll need 4 props for HC and probably ML next season. This puts us in the same situation as Munster with 4 props with experience who are backed up by the younger academy lads. On paper we're trading down in quality from CJ and I assume that he'll be on a hell of a lot less which both mean that there's no reason why he wont be dropped if one of the Academy lads puts in some solid performances.

He's primarily a loosehead so I dont see why Ross would leave. This will be his make or break season at Leinster.

it might affect healy gametime,
    cj played a good bit a games a 1 towards end of season, healy form has really suffered this year, i know he is young, but the more games he plays before wc the better for him and ireland,

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

It does make sense becuase weve now got the same amount as last year, in fact were down a tighthead and up a loosehead, which mean a huge chance for Ross. Weve the same as Munster. Why would Ross leave now when its only Wright in front of him? Think you might be a bit confused?

• Advertisement

the way i see it leinster should be useing their u20 props a bit next year, great prospect and could be internationial after the wc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

the way i see it leinster should be useing their u20 props a bit next year, great prospect and could be internationial after the wc

They should get a shot, but do you really think they should be benching for HEC games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Cross posted from the Transfer Rumours thread

Does this mean we don't have faith in McGrath?

Isn't McGrath a tighthead? Van de Merwe is a loosehead according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm fairly happy with this if I'm honest. More balance to our prop stocks.

Stan and Ross to cover TH, Healy and van der Merwe to cover LH.

THen the academy lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Arrogance

Isn't McGrath a tighthead? Van de Merwe is a loosehead according to reports.

He can play both sides. He was a loosehead but Leinster decided to develop him as a tighthead as a view for the future as they already have Healy at loosehead.

Van der Merwe missed out on a large part of the 2009 season due to injury, but was selected for the end of year Springbok tour to Europe where Peter de Villiers is hoping to convert him into a tighthead prop.

just seen this when I looked up our new signing Van der Merwe, its not recent and quotes peter de villiers (so probably has no value) but it seems as though he is a little injury prone... On the upside he can hopefully cover both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Squad for 2010/11 season has been confirmed.

Head Coach: Josef Schmidt
    Team Manager: Guy Easterby
    Forwards Coach: Jono Gibbes
    Skills and Kicking Coach: Richie Murphy
    Consultant Scrum Coach: Greg Feek

New signings are Isaac Boss(scrum half), Ed O'Donoghue(lock) and Heinke van der Merwe(prop)

Promoted from the Academy on development contracts are Brendan Macken, Jack McGrath, Niall Morris, Rhys Ruddock, Paul Ryan and Eoin Sheriff, while Andrew Conway has signed a professional contract.

LEINSTER SQUAD 2010/11...

FORWARDS: Leo Cullen, John Fogarty, Jason Harris-Wright, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Nathan Hines, Trevor Hogan, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Ronan McCormack, Jack McGrath*, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien, Ed O'Donoghue, Mike Ross, Rhys Ruddock*, Paul Ryan*, Eoin Sheriff*, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner, Heinke van der Merwe, Stan Wright

BACKS: Shaun Berne, Isaac Boss, Andrew Conway, Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, Shane Horgan, David Kearney, Rob Kearney, Brendan Macken*, Fergus McFadden, Niall Morris*, Isa Nacewa, Paul O'Donohoe, Brian O'Driscoll, Eoin O'Malley, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton

*Denotes Development Contract

Leinster Chief Executive Michael Dawson commented: "I am delighted to welcome our new signings on board and I'm confident that each will make a significant impression on the team both next season and in the years ahead.

"All of the players come with impressive pedigrees and they will supplement a squad which has been further bolstered by six Academy players who have signed Development contracts with the province. We are delighted by the talent coming through the Academy system and it is encouraging both for Leinster and Irish rugby that such a strong crop of underage talent are being rewarded in the next step in their careers.

"It is an exciting time for the province and I would like to formally acknowledge the significant impact of our departing coaches and backroom team members. We wish them well with their future careers.

"Greg Feek joins the province having accrued impressive playing and coaching credentials in New Zealand and he will supplement a coaching team which will draw on the experience of Jono, Richie and Guy, who have all been involved in the Senior set-up over the last two years, while Joe joins us after guiding Clermont to the French championship."

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4833.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Any word on who the defensive coach will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Odd that Dominic Ryan is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It says on the Leinster page that they hope to announce a new back-five forward signing in the next few weeks as well. A bit unnecessary imo.

Apparently one of the reasons Dominic Ryan didn't feature as much last season was because the leinster management thought he was too immature. Might have something to do with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

POD is staying at Leinster? He won't be getting much gametime next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

POD is staying at Leinster? He won't be getting much gametime next season.

He will if he's good enough.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    It says on the Leinster page that they hope to announce a new back-five forward signing in the next few weeks as well. A bit unnecessary imo.

Heaslip, Cullen, SOB, McLaughlin and Jennings will all be involved in this ridiculous player management ****e and could conceivably all be going to the RWC. On top of that Hines will be missing for the AIs and 6N. We need depth in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

WeeBushy wrote: »

Apparently one of the reasons Dominic Ryan didn't feature as much last season was because the leinster management thought he was too immature. Might have something to do with it...

seams a bit harsh if thats the case - judging by whos picked ahead of him , I'd expect him to leave Leinster - he started 2 matches recently

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i see ronan mccormick is staying on, i thought he was leaving
    also that simon keogh (the winger) has moved on
    anyone know where he has gone to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

CatFromHue wrote: »
    i see ronan mccormick is staying on, i thought he was leaving
    also that simon keogh (the winger) has moved on
    anyone know where he has gone to?
    I'd say he is retired. He started in the Law Society this year as a trainee solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

thebaz wrote: »
    seams a bit harsh if thats the case - judging by whos picked ahead of him , I'd expect him to leave Leinster - he started 2 matches recently

I'm still unsure about Ryan, he's been pretty busy acting the penalty machine for the U20s this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hippo wrote: »
    I'm still unsure about Ryan, he's been pretty busy acting the penalty machine for the U20s this month.

just goes to show the power of the referee - i think the major decisions against him were proven to be refeeeing errors - one that cost Ireland a match - think hes been unfailrly treated unless there is something we dont know - Leinster need explosive players

Sangre wrote: »
    I'd say he is retired. He started in the Law Society this year as a trainee solicitor.

Balls. No Michaels lads in the squad now.

Coming back to Leinster was a mistake for Keogh I think. Very talented player, but never quite talented enough to play for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Balls. No Michaels lads in the squad now.

Coming back to Leinster was a mistake for Keogh I think. Very talented player, but never quite talented enough to play for Leinster.

It wasn't like he was over burderned with offers from elsewhere though. He could have satyed in the GP or played for a crappy ML team but I got the impression that he wanted to come play for his home province if only as a bit part player. Come back play with your mates for 2 years and then go become a solicitor, sounds like a good plan to me.

• Advertisement

It wasn't like he was over burderned with offers from elsewhere though. He could have satyed in the GP or played for a crappy ML team but I got the impression that he wanted to come play for his home province if only as a bit part player. Come back play with your mates for 2 years and then go become a solicitor, sounds like a good plan to me.

Ah yeah. Mistake is well harsh on my part.

In all fairness, being a solicitor would be a good life anyway. Probably pay better than the rugby anyway. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement