Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

[Jackass] wrote: »
    The point is that Leinster season tickets are selling out every year. Next season there will only be c. 3,500 seats that haven't been sold for the entire season in the RDS, which is the minimum amount they have to keep free (after a deal was done with the Irish sides about how much they will release for travelling fans to open up more seats for season tickets.)

If Leinster could have a 26,000 stadium (which they are doing, it's not speculation, it's confirmed by Mick Dawson) they can sell up to 20,000 season tickets, whether or not everyone who purchased season tickets comes to the Aironi match or not, at an average price of about 500 per ticket, that's 1 million quid up front at the start of each season which more or less is a major safety net to cover operating costs throughout the year.

what is the amount sold at the moment season ticket wise. ive heard about 13,000. 20,000 is 1.5 times this approx. thats a big big jump!

the only tickets at 500 euro or more at the moment are the blocks either side of the half way line in the grandstand and the anglesea stand and the block right on the halfway in the anglesea stand.

every where else is less than this. i know what you're saying though, more tickets = more money.

to get 20,000 season tickets leinster can never have a bad season again. we will always have to be successfull. while from a fans point of view thats what we want but from from a financial point of view im not sure if that is a good business model.

it should be noted that while munster have a 26,000 stadium they have either kept prices the same or reduced them for next year. i cant remember which.

the conservative in me sees that last season out of the 14 regular season home games we had 3 which were 18,500 (saracens) or more (munster and clermont in the aviva).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm paying 230 or something per year for a terrace ticket. I would point blank refuse to pay anything like 500 for a season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

The point is that Leinster season tickets are selling out every year. Next season there will only be c. 3,500 seats that haven't been sold for the entire season in the RDS, which is the minimum amount they have to keep free (after a deal was done with the Irish sides about how much they will release for travelling fans to open up more seats for season tickets.)

If Leinster could have a 26,000 stadium (which they are doing, it's not speculation, it's confirmed by Mick Dawson) they can sell up to 20,000 season tickets, whether or not everyone who purchased season tickets comes to the Aironi match or not, at an average price of about 500 per ticket, that's 1 million quid up front at the start of each season which more or less is a major safety net to cover operating costs throughout the year.

Pretty sure the RDS improvement has not even been confirmed, let all an official number for the increase in capacity. Here is the link from the Q&A with Mick Dawson, nothing like confirmation in this http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/olsc/6278.php

Also - 20000*500 is 10 million, not one million!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i dont see any mention of a 26,000 stadium.

i do see:

13. What are the development and lease plans for the RDS?

We currently are in the fourth year of a twenty year arrangement with the RDS. We have a break clause after five and ten years. After five years we have the opportunity to buy ourselves out of the lease and after ten years we can walk away. However, it is our intention to stay in the RDS for the long term and to take some marquee matches to the Aviva Stadium and hopefully in the short term to redevelop the Anglesea Stand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

roycon wrote: »
    whatever leinster say goes really.

Highly doubt that. The horse show has been there a hell of a long time. It's still called the RDS Showgrounds. They're not going to do anything that impinges upon their ability to host the Horse Show. And there is no need to anyway. A redeveloped Anglesea stand would be fine - the current one uses the space very poorly and there are plenty of seats with absolutely pathetic views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

CatFromHue wrote: »
    i dont see any mention of a 26,000 stadium.

i do see:

13. What are the development and lease plans for the RDS?

We currently are in the fourth year of a twenty year arrangement with the RDS. We have a break clause after five and ten years. After five years we have the opportunity to buy ourselves out of the lease and after ten years we can walk away. However, it is our intention to stay in the RDS for the long term and to take some marquee matches to the Aviva Stadium and hopefully in the short term to redevelop the Anglesea Stand.

You missed no. 8

8. Is there any scope to develop the Anglesea Stand?

Yes, we have architects drawings for a new Anglesea Stand and we are currently working with the RDS to see how soon we can start, how much it will cost and what the revenues would be for future years but it is definitely on the cards.

And (I'm not lying for the sake of it) I have seen it confirmed elsewhere that it is starting at the end of the upcoming season, but don't have a link as I can't remember where I read it. That Q&A was what I was reffering to earlier, thought it was mentioned in that, that it's going to be at the end of the upcoming season, but the figure of 26,000 and the end of this season is confirmed, although I can't prove it with a link, I guess you're going to just have to take my word for it or not.

As for my quick off the cuff maths, I'm sorry I didn't get the calculator out lads, no need to keep confirmin I got it wrong post after post :D

As for the figure of 500 for season tickets, chill lads, I said the average, current Diamond tickets are 660 a pop, Platinum tickets are 530 a pop, and family tickets got from 880 to 760 and I'd imagine a new stand will have box / corporate hospitality to go along with this. If anything, 500 as an average price for season ticket would be conservitive.

It's why I don't like this forum any more, you add to a conversation and everyone is just interested in picking holes and looking for confirmation on your posts rather than discussing... :rolleyes: I think this is the 3rd reply I've made to my small point earlier...

As for the figure of 500 for season tickets, chill lads, I said the average, current Diamond tickets are 660 a pop, Platinum tickets are 530 a pop, and family tickets got from 880 to 760 and I'd imagine a new stand will have box / corporate hospitality to go along with this. If anything, 500 as an average price for season ticket would be conservitive.

A family ticket is more then one seat dude :P

The average won't be anywhere near 500. It may be the average of all the options, but far more of the cheaper season tickets will be sold. I'd guess the average would work out closer to 350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Of course a family ticket is more than one seat, but the cash is being fronted for the whole season and the seats are sold for the whole season, hence the point we're discussing...

Case in point. what is the significance to my point whether it be 7,000,000 or 10,000,000 at the start of the season? Does this disprove my point that the expansion will have Leinsters finances for the upcoming year secured and that the season tickets sales or on an unprecidented rise? (put the calculators away lads, the maths is right this time), like, how many pages are we going to have on a point I made that the stand is being expanded and that there IS a point to do it, as season tickets are selling out year on year, they're at the maximum for the current capacity and it needs expanding? sheesh...

Why are people posting, to do maths or to talk rugby?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Of course a family ticket is more than one seat, but the cash is being fronted for the whole season and the seats are sold for the whole season, hence the point we're discussing...

Case in point. what is the significance to my point whether it be 7,000,000 or 10,000,000 at the start of the season? Does this disprove my point that the expansion will have Leinsters finances for the upcoming year secured and that the season tickets sales or on an unprecidented rise? (put the calculators away lads, the maths is right this time), like, how many pages are we going to have on a point I made that the stand is being expanded and that there IS a point to do it, as season tickets are selling out year on year, they're at the maximum for the current capacity and it needs expanding? sheesh...

Why are people posting, to do maths or to talk rugby?

Ah you're just pissed that you got the maths wrong Jackass that's all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

This is getting hilarious.

• Advertisement

You missed no. 8

8. Is there any scope to develop the Anglesea Stand?

Yes, we have architects drawings for a new Anglesea Stand and we are currently working with the RDS to see how soon we can start, how much it will cost and what the revenues would be for future years but it is definitely on the cards.

And (I'm not lying for the sake of it) I have seen it confirmed elsewhere that it is starting at the end of the upcoming season, but don't have a link as I can't remember where I read it. That Q&A was what I was reffering to earlier, thought it was mentioned in that, that it's going to be at the end of the upcoming season, but the figure of 26,000 and the end of this season is confirmed, although I can't prove it with a link, I guess you're going to just have to take my word for it or not.

im not saying your lying just ive never heard of it.

the point you mention there just says they're going to redevelop or are planning to redevelop the anglesea stand. no mention of the increase to 26,000.

just thinking that they still need all the space behind the anglesea as a walk way so i dont see enough room to increase the capacity of that stand hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Jackas it's 10 million not 1 million. You said 1 million. That's wrong. It would be 10 million, as opposed to 1 million (which is what you said).

You idiot.

Leaving aside jackass's dubious grasp of maths and averages, I've read elsewhere the 26k number as well as a 22k number.

I've heard nothing about starting end of next season-hard to see this really as there are no firm designs, and hence no planning permission.

The space behind issue would be ok as you could walk under the stand.

The stand would need to be shorter and considerably higher to cope with an extra 7500 fans with a good view. The two ends of the anglesea have appalling views at the moment.

I'm going to try find a link now....

Found it :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66100050&postcount=192

Sorry. I'm a mathematician, I can't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sorry. I'm a mathematician, I can't help myself.
    Maybe he was thinking in Fibonacci.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

just to be a pisser on the average price thing. To get to 26,000 the vast majority of the new places would have to be terrace (redeveloping the stand wouldn't add a significant amount of seats) so the average ticket prices are going to go down a good bit.

That said I think Leinster have to be very careful about being in a bigger stadium. I think the 2 ML semi's proved that getting bums in seats isn't a guarantee any more (ye expensive months but still) and Leinster WILL have the same decline that Munster is now experiencing if we have a run of bad forum.

I think Leinster are currently only selling out of season tickets year on year as they are only putting out just short of what they think they will sell anyway. So add another 8,000 tickets and chances are not that many of them will actually sell. Also if only 14,000 people turn up in a 26,000 stadium it is going to look and feel like crap and may put off more people going then actually attracting newer ones in

@Joe just on one point there, they're putting out all that they're entitled to sell as season tickets, as there has to be tickets available for travelling fans for games.

Essentially, they are selling out all that they can possibly sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster WILL have the same decline that Munster is now experiencing if we have a run of bad forum

Ah now, Munsterfans has gone downhill a bit but I wouldn't blame it for all of Munsters problems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

erm... im pretty sure he was saying it the other way round... the fans have gone down becuase of the bad form. not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

just to be a pisser on the average price thing. To get to 26,000 the vast majority of the new places would have to be terrace (redeveloping the stand wouldn't add a significant amount of seats) so the average ticket prices are going to go down a good bit.

The link above mentioned demolishing the current stand, so really they can play around with terrace/corporate/seating to their hearts content.
    Personally I think that the set up in Thomand is pretty good, terrace at the bottom with corporate and seating above.

• Advertisement

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    erm... im pretty sure he was saying it the other way round... the fans have gone down becuase of the bad form. not the other way round.

read closely for the freudian slip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

durkadurka wrote: »
    read closely for the freudian slip

im still missing it... never mind me i have been up too long for this thinking malark

EDIT: AHA finally spotted it... im gonna go sleep a bit now i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Will we have the same coaching ticket for next season as we had this year

Head Coach, Backs Coach and Defense Coach: Joe Schmidt
    Forwards coach: Jono Gibbes
    Scrum coach: Greg Feek

They had the advantage this season of having a settled squad that kept defensive patterns together well. Otherwise Kurt McQuilken's departure as backs coach may have hurt a lot more. Is it a bit much to be asking Schmidt to do three jobs.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Spotted this on the LR Facebook.
    What a man!

One more time for the season...RELEASE THE BEAST!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They had the advantage this season of having a settled squad that kept defensive patterns together well. Otherwise Kurt McQuilken's departure as backs coach may have hurt a lot more. Is it a bit much to be asking Schmidt to do three jobs.

Gaffney was backs coach, McQuilkan was defense!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

Just on the stand thing:

LB have been burnt by developments that do not future proof the club. Obviously Im talking about the stand redevelopment in donnybrook. I would assume that the planning and analysis work that goes into ground expansions would be based on continued success, but as a previous poster highlighted, in reality success may be short lived. Dont get my wrong I hope we keep winning and competing well into the future, but at a point we will go down hill. Seasonticket holder numbers will drop off and subsequently revenue.

On that basis and the economic difficulties we as an economy face and will continue to face, the Branch must take costing extremely seriously. Charging 500 a season ticket is a ridiculous amount to pay for one seat. I understand the economies of scale on a larger project will see the longer term costs decline but its a serious jump in prices. Not to mention the lost revenue for the 18 months or so it would take to build the stand. People cannot afford to shell out that kind of money in one go and I would hedge my bets on seeing a decline in numbers that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

i think theyve made the calculated bet that we're not going to win the heineken cup every year but the numbers of people playing rugby in leinster is going to keep increasing at a steady rate, particularly in non traditional areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Regarding the suggestions about corporate boxes & facilities...

There has been a dramatic decrease in corporate income since the downturn - according to LR CEO Mick Dawson, this very lucrative revenue stream has taken a significant hit. For the near future at least, there is just no demand for vastly improved / expensive corporate facilities in the RDS.

And with the figure of a 26,000 capacity after the new stand is built, it looks like LR are not focusing on corporate hospitality, but rather increased capacity for the masses. Unlike Ravenhill's new stand, for example, which only sits 500 minus the corporate boxes and adjacent terrace...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Regarding the suggestions about corporate boxes & facilities...

There has been a dramatic decrease in corporate income since the downturn - according to LR CEO Mick Dawson, this very lucrative revenue stream has taken a significant hit. For the near future at least, there is just no demand for vastly improved / expensive corporate facilities in the RDS.

And with the figure of a 26,000 capacity after the new stand is built, it looks like LR are not focusing on corporate hospitality, but rather increased capacity for the masses. Unlike Ravenhill's new stand, for example, which only sits 500 minus the corporate boxes and adjacent terrace...

Yeah that's a very fair point. I'm sure corporate income has declined sharply and I imagine is unlikely to recover anytime soon.

However I suspect part of that is partly down to poor corporate facilities currently in the RDS. Quite a lot of companies still spend on entertainment in Croke Park and the Aviva, and Leinster could compete for some of that as they are European champions and are the only professional sports club in the capital.

I agree this may not appear be the time to expand but if they are to renovate the facilities in the RDS anyway, then it would seem they could should be able to improve this side of the business from what is I think a fairly low base.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Pre-Season 'friendly' against Northampton! 26th August. Should be interesting!

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/7678.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement