Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good spots to let my irish setter run free

Options
  • 13-04-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

Does anyone else have a dog who likes to run for 2 hours non stop ? i have an irish setter and this is the case, hes a luny!!!! but adorable of course!!
    Anyway we have just moved to Galway and are wondering if there are any good spots around the city/outside the city to let him run off some energy safely?
    Also, if anyone has one of these gorgeous dogs, would be great to let them hook up and play about, as the problem with mine is he wants to play with every dog he meets , which is not always the case for the other dog.
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Bus Eireann station!

Kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oatsareclass

lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Dangan seems to be the place, lots of running space its up past the university...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I have a Labrador who seems to have the same personality. Thing is his recall isn't to be trusted so I don't let him off lead (I do have a 20ft lead that does the trick for most things though)

Welcome to Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

South Park aka the swamp. Here

Loads of space and within walking distance of town. It's used a lot buy soccer, tag rugby teams but there are plenty of times when it's quiet.

Maybe Grattan Beach too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see lots of playing dogs at the soccer pitches up at Barna woods. Also a nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

GAA pitches in Knocknacarra beside Barna woods, assuming he gets on well with other dogs or out beside the Marine Institute in Oranmore, someone else can probably shed some light on what that area is called. There's loads of open space and what Galway would refer to as a 'forest or wood', i.e. a couple of spindly twigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hi,

Does anyone else have a dog who likes to run for 2 hours non stop ? i have an irish setter and this is the case, hes a luny!!!! but adorable of course!!
    Anyway we have just moved to Galway and are wondering if there are any good spots around the city/outside the city to let him run off some energy safely?
    Also, if anyone has one of these gorgeous dogs, would be great to let them hook up and play about, as the problem with mine is he wants to play with every dog he meets , which is not always the case for the other dog.
    Cheers in advance

Anybody else think he/she wasn't talking about a dog here!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

Cheers in advance

Try Gentian Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

dafunk wrote: »
    out beside the Marine Institute in Oranmore, someone else can probably shed some light on what that area is called.

Its called Renville Park its gorgeous out there. There are signs up that dogs are to be on a leash, most people dont heed this though which is fine if your dog has good recall/good with other dogs.

Welcome to Galway BTW!

Coole Park (Gort) might be a bit far but is lovely for weekend stroll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In case anyone with a smaller dog reads this in the future, I've been told (not verified it myself) that Merlin Woods isn't a good place to take small dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a friend that has a red setter and they go to a local football field, I don't know which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

JustMary wrote: »
    In case anyone with a smaller dog reads this in the future, I've been told (not verified it myself) that Merlin Woods isn't a good place to take small dogs.

Why??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Its called Renville Park its gorgeous out there. There are signs up that dogs are to be on a leash, most people dont heed this though which is fine if your dog has good recall/good with other dogs.

Welcome to Galway BTW!

Coole Park (Gort) might be a bit far but is lovely for weekend stroll!

Keep your luny dog away from Coole Park, unless he is kept on a leash

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Keep your dog on a leash......

"By law all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. The law requires also that all dogs be licensed and there are penalties for non-compliance. There are some exemptions from the licensing requirements, for example, dogs used in official duties by the Gardai, Defence Forces, Custom & Excise Service, etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Whatever you do, don't take him to the swamp/claddagh park near the causeway to mutton island, there are a good few gaps in the wall there that the leash-less doggy can escape straight into the path of oncoming traffic.

Had the very unfortunate experience of having a skittish young doggy run straight out into the wheel of my car there recently. Thank god we were going slow anyway, we swirved and the poor little thing was fine. But if there had of been an oncoming car we would have been in big trouble.

They really should have some barriers the other side of those gaps in the walls there, because so many people run dogs down there. It's not safe for speedy kids either!

I recommend cappagh park,but ensure that your doggy will come when called, because the locals there demand all dogs are kept close by due to an old woman being knocked over by a dog there recently.
    It's really a two sides of the fence issue!:)

OpenBake wrote: »
    It's really a two sides of the fence issue!:)
    Control your dog and be within the law or don't control your dog and cause traffic to swerve and old ladies to be knocked down?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

glenard park in salthill,very quiet park,big open space,relatively secure entrances on both sides so dog wont just run straight out also silverstrand when quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

claw14 wrote: »

"By law all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. The law requires also that all dogs be licensed and there are penalties for non-compliance. There are some exemptions from the licensing requirements, for example, dogs used in official duties by the Gardai, Defence Forces, Custom & Excise Service, etc."

Effective control does not mean the dog has to be kept on a leash! It just means it has to have good recall and not cause a nuisance to other people by running up to them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Why??:confused:

Greyhounds.

I'm soooooo not saying any more. Just repeating what I've been told by people who've lived in Galway for a long time, who were very specific about "the locals all just know".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Loughrea Lake is a brilliant place for energetic dogs, it's about 20 mins outside the city but it's lovely. My dog is mental, boundless energy, but an hour running around the grass and swimming out to get her tyre, back again, out again (you get the idea!) and she is pooped. Lots of people bring their dogs there, all the dogs run around like mad yokes and have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

claw14 wrote: »

Well, seeing as your asking about a location for your dog to have a good run I will not go on about legal requirment ect...:p
    It all depends on how well your dog is around other dogs and obedience.. Any sporting field is grand, just time it so it's not to busy, some people frown upon it.. I let my staff have a run in the late evenings as people who are uneducated are afraid of the look of her (very playful but very friendly).
    Where abouts are you located as it would be easier to give you a suitable location..
    Slightly of topic here but regarding drivers swerving to avoid a dog, afaik you are not ment to swerve to avoid a dog sized animal(or at least it's poor driving practice)...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

renville is destroyed by irresponsible dog owners,there is dog crap everywhere.hare dog owners who do not clean up,actually do any of them.i second the poster who says keep pout of coole pk.its illegal to have a dog off a leash,think about other s and those with young kids,oh and loughrea is aslo filled with dog crap.gee thanks dog owners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

RANIA wrote: »
    renville is destroyed by irresponsible dog owners,there is dog crap everywhere.hare dog owners who do not clean up,actually do any of them.i second the poster who says keep pout of coole pk.its illegal to have a dog off a leash,think about other s and those with young kids,oh and loughrea is aslo filled with dog crap.gee thanks dog owners

I understand your annoyance with the dog crap, but not all dog owners leave the mess there without cleaning it up.
    And yes, coole park imo is not a suitable location for free running dogs..

ok not all but i have never ever in my 30 years seen a dog owner cleaning up after their dog.,i was so disgusted whn we went to renville couple of months back,i had to keep pulling my child away from the crap and also form all the unleashed dogs that were there.its a county council park with signs saying no unleashed dogs,if i were to let my 2 year old crap on the ground and walk away from it i am sure someone would tell me its unhygenic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I was at Loughrea today and didn't see an ounce of dog poo, tonnes of litter though, most likely from those with young kids, lots of ice cream and tayto wrappers. gee thanks kid owners.

My dog has never pooed there though, not one for an audience, but if she did I would clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Seafóid.

Spadina wrote: »
    I was at Loughrea today and didn't see an ounce of dog poo, tonnes of litter though, most likely from those with young kids, lots of ice cream and tayto wrappers. gee thanks kid owners.

My dog has never pooed there though, not one for an audience, but if she did I would clear it up.

i am there a lot and have seen plenty of dog crap.actually there is lots of bread wrappers from people feeding the ducks and the county council not emptying the bins.i have never left any rubbish there ,and unlike children its illegal to have your dog off a leash

Seafóid.

no its not.renville is gross thanks to dog owners.

• Advertisement

Spadina wrote: »
    More's the pity with some people.

oh you have to resort to rude do you.instead of admiting letting your dog **** everywhere is disgusting and illegal.

Advertisement