Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good spots to let my irish setter run free

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

oh spadina you deleted your nasty comment why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

RANIA wrote: »
    oh you have to resort to rude do you.instead of admiting letting your dog **** everywhere is disgusting and illegal.

Ah dammit I had just deleted it and all. First of all, MY dog doesn't do that, she never poos anywhere other than our own garden, which is clearly her own issues but even if she did do it in public I personally would clear it, so less of the "your dog".

Anyway back on topic, if you promise to clear up after your dog Loughrea is a lovely place to go, and in summer the water is lovely for them, when there are people in the water I bring her in with me on her lead and kids love it.

Edit: I deleted it because after a momentary flash of anger at people who think that because they have kids they can give out to everyone else I decided not to get into the dogs are good/dogs are bad fight that you want this thread to degrade to.

this thread is about where to let a dog run unleashed.its illegal and loughrea lake with a playground certainly is not the place to do this whether you clean up their dirt or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

this thread is about where to let a dog run unleashed.its illegal and loughrea lake with a playground certainly is not the place to do this whether you clean up their dirt or not.

Lookit, I bring my dog there all the time, there are two public areas around that lake, one with a playground and one with grass, swimming area, picnic benches. Obviously I take her to the side without a playground, for two reasons - there are lots of kids around there and my dog isn't so into playground as she is wide open grassy spaces and things to dive off of.

When there are lots of people and children I keep her on the lead, when it's winter or a quiet day and the place is empty I see no problem with letting her off the lead, she is a very well trained dog and has never disobeyed a recall order, so when it's just us and/or other like minded dog owners there there is no problem, the guards have pulled up there many times when there have been lots of dogs running around, as I said we have the common sense not to let dogs run free when there are children around.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

its illegal to have your dog off a leash

Tuilleadh seafóide, unless you're referring to certain summer periods.

• Advertisement

Dog control: By law, all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. Dogs should not be allowed to roam free in public areas, green areas or around neighbourhoods. A dog should be under the effectual control of their owner at all times and must wear a means of identification of the owner, such as a collar with name tag or badge. Dangerous breeds should be kept on a lead and muzzled.

its illegal to have a dog off a leash

Its not. Its illegal to have certain dogs off a leash but most dogs are allowed of the leash if kept under control and once they are not vicious. You better keep away from the country side as dogs are never on a leash

You would swear all dogs were blood thirsty monsters intent on attacking people and dirtying the place. Judging by some of the threads here about some unsavory characters around Galway I think maybe certain people need to be on a leash more than dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Nobody asked about the legality of it....

martyboy48 wrote: »

and there is my point about most dog owners summed up nicely.do what suits ye and sod others using the same public space.

Dangerous breeds should be kept on a lead and muzzled.

Big difference between the above law and your earlier insistence that it is always illegal to have dogs off-leash in public areas.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about the potential dangers of the glass broken in public parks by out-of-control and off-leash bush-drinking teenagers.

Maybe if there was a law to leash and muzzle those phuckers, people's dogs wouldn't be getting bad paw injuries from the deliberately smashed bucky bottles.

• Advertisement

and there is my point about most dog owners summed up nicely.do what suits ye and sod others using the same public space.

Encore du seafóid.

Encore du seafóid.

ooh how many languages can you write crap in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Dog control: By law, all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. Dogs should not be allowed to roam free in public areas, green areas or around neighbourhoods. A dog should be under the effectual control of their owner at all times and must wear a means of identification of the owner, such as a collar with name tag or badge. Dangerous breeds should be kept on a lead and muzzled.

Read your own posts.

Effective Control does not mean on a leash.

And I would also wager a lot of money that the people on this forum who bring dogs for walks are proper animal lovers and clean up after their dogs.

The crap that your seeing is probably from stray dogs or owners who don't care about them.

Rania, I was simply stating that the OP just wanted to kmow a location. I'm not trying to get 'one up' here or anything but your comment is so untrue. Most dog owners I know put others first.
    Could you answer me something, and this is not ment to be insulting or 'smart' in any way. Is it just dog owners you have a problem with or is it the actual dogs?? Have you ever been bitten or 'atacked' by a dog??
    I'm just trying to see if there is an underlying problem you have with dogs.
    As there are 2 sides to most arguements debates, I would really like to hear your reasoning.. Thanks for your input..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Not expressing a view on the various rants here one way or the other, but the prom on Sunday was disgusting. Dog Sh*t everywhere; truly disgusting.

no i have never been bitten thankfully,i just find it really dirty to have to push a buggy on a road while trying to avoid dog dirt,i find it difficult to explain to a 2 year old why she cannot run wild in a park as there is dog dirt everywhere and as there are dogs unleashed.people often say to me ,its a childs dog,but its not my childs dog,i cannot trust a strange animal near my kid,nor my kid near a strange animal.
    its sheer frustration,loughrea is really full of dog poo on the path to town,renville is really full of dog poo and unleashed dogs even in the playground.fine if its all the neglected strays etc,but there are an awful lot of them..i saw a woman let her dog crap on my front garden,i ran down the stairs to tackle her sadly i am very preg and could not run fast enough..
    i have a problem with peole who let their dogs treat public spaces as toilets and i have problems with people who have their dogs unleashed where there are children.

no i have never been bitten thankfully,i just find it really dirty to have to push a buggy on a road while trying to avoid dog dirt,i find it difficult to explain to a 2 year old why she cannot run wild in a park as there is dog dirt everywhere and as there are dogs unleashed.people often say to me ,its a childs dog,but its not my childs dog,i cannot trust a strange animal near my kid,nor my kid near a strange animal.
    its sheer frustration,loughrea is really full of dog poo on the path to town,renville is really full of dog poo and unleashed dogs even in the playground.fine if its all the neglected strays etc,but there are an awful lot of them..i saw a woman let her dog crap on my front garden,i ran down the stairs to tackle her sadly i am very preg and could not run fast enough..
    i have a problem with peole who let their dogs treat public spaces as toilets and i have problems with people who have their dogs unleashed where there are children.

Ok.. so, this post I have absolutely no problem with, sorry, problem not the correct term but you know what I mean.
    Also, I must say, I agree with it wholeheartedly.. I think all real dog lovers/responsible dog owners would agree 100% as well.
    Dog poo mine fields are disgusting and a real nuisance, even for responsible dog owners. And regarding a case like MY dog YOUR child, the dog owner should have the dog under effective control..
    It's just that your earlier posts seemed to be against all dog owners, but now I see where you are comming form, and I hope you see where I am comming from regarding responsible dog owners... Thank you for clearing things up..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There seems to be an equal amount of dog lovers and dog haters on here.

"Effectual Control" does not, as stated earlier, mean that the dog must be on a leash. However, local by-laws ban dogs from areas like beaches between certain hours over certain months, and a lot of public areas have signage which implore dog owners to keep their dogs on a leash.

There are a huge number of people who do carry bags for dog excrement. You may also note other threads in the Galway forum refering to this, and a lack of pooper scoopers in the holders on the prom, which I believe a lot of people assume will always be full (not that they should assume this).

I will go out on a limb here and hazard a guess that the same people who let their dogs defacate and leave it there are the same ones who let their children litter and throw rubbish out of their car windows. These people need to be hit hard in the pocket to change their behaviour in order for the rest of us to be allowed to enjoy our beautiful country in an unspoilt state.
    Thank you for clearing things up..

Was the bad pun intentional?

^^^^
    No pun intended.... I would be ashamed of that muck:(:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I always clean up after my dog, and I am realistic about his recall, which is sadly non-existent if there is another dog around. There is absolutely nothing in the world (I've tried: freeze dried salmon or other awesome treats, play, lots of ear scratches and praise) that he would want more than to play with another dog, which is why recall is currently off the table. I've had labradors my whole life though, and they generally "get" recall sometime between the ages of 2 and 3, so I've got another year and a bit to go.

Anyway. What I'm trying to say is that not everyone who has a dog is irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

renville is really full of dog poo and unleashed dogs even in the playground.

I walk my dogs in Renville all the time, not once have I left their crap. We usually do the full walk round but anytime we have gone through the playground we pick the dogs up. Would never let them run around the playground even on a lead.

Parents and their kids drive me crazy but I know its not all parents that let their kids run wild. One of our dogs is afraid of small kids as she was mauled as a pup in our old estate. The dogs arent always in the wrong. If a little kid comes over and pulls her ears and she snaps shes the one thats in the wrong even though its the kids that are not under their parents control. A lot of people with kids shouldnt have them as they havent a clue how to keep them in control.

Sorry OP this thread has gone a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

afaik you are not ment to swerve to avoid a dog sized animal(or at least it's poor driving practice)...

:rolleyes: Are you kidding? If you were driving along at 30kph and you saw an instant blonde blur heading straight for the front of your car, would you think "Jesus that could be a child or anything, i better avoid it" and then check if you can, and then do, or would you think "the rules of the road state that I must not swerve to avoid this, so screw them" and kerthunk, kill/badly injure anything heading in your path?
    Come on.

We were glad that we swerved, as it saved the dogs life and the owner was very grateful. It could have been a child or anything, and it was running out of a blind spot, a gap between a low wall. There was no oncoming traffic and it was safe to do so.

The whole reason I brought it up was that it was relevant to the OP, that the area is dangerous to let dogs (and other speedy animals or children!) run free. It's not signposted, and dangerous. Hopefully this caveat will help someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

claw14 wrote: »
    Keep your dog on a leash......

"By law all dogs must be kept under effective control – owners may be held liable for any injury or damage caused if their dog attacks a person or livestock. The law requires also that all dogs be licensed and there are penalties for non-compliance. There are some exemptions from the licensing requirements, for example, dogs used in official duties by the Gardai, Defence Forces, Custom & Excise Service, etc."

Seriously! I assume the person knows it's the law and didnt need you to point it out.

Renville is a great place to let your dog run around. No one has their dog on a leash there and all dogs seem to get along. If your dog is good natured you'll have nothing to worry about (other than some kill joys, who dont like dogs). Mornings are great there with only non leash using dog owners there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

JustMary wrote: »
    Greyhounds.

I'm soooooo not saying any more. Just repeating what I've been told by people who've lived in Galway for a long time, who were very specific about "the locals all just know".

- what do you mean by that? Are greyhounds any threat to other dogs ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

darrenh wrote: »
    Seriously! I assume the person knows it's the law and didnt need you to point it out.

Renville is a great place to let your dog run around. No one has their dog on a leash there and all dogs seem to get along. If your dog is good natured you'll have nothing to worry about (other than some kill joys, who dont like dogs). Mornings are great there with only non leash using dog owners there!

I think this kind of attitude is very selfish and shows a distinct lack of understanding towards people who are genuinely terrified of dogs.

Also, as all these dogs are romping about, I find it hard to believe that there are a trail of owners following them about with bags to scoop up the dog pooh.

The spaces are there for everyone to enjoy and use. A little bit of common courtesy and empathy would go a long way.

I think this kind of attitude is very selfish and shows a distinct lack of understanding towards people who are genuinely terrified of dogs.

Also, as all these dogs are romping about, I find it hard to believe that there are a trail of owners following them about with bags to scoop up the dog pooh.

The spaces are there for everyone to enjoy and use. A little bit of common courtesy and empathy would go a long way.

It is not difficult to figure out where your dog has pooped.

They adopt a distinctive posture whilst pooping. Generally they are in that position for at least 30 seconds, so you can get closer to them, usually close enough to see the actual mess.

A responsible dog owner will not take their eyes off their dog for long enough to have the dog poop without them knowing.

It is therefore absolutely quite simple to clean up after your dog even if they are off lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Xiney wrote: »
    It is not difficult to figure out where your dog has pooped.

They adopt a distinctive posture whilst pooping. Generally they are in that position for at least 30 seconds, so you can get closer to them, usually close enough to see the actual mess.

A responsible dog owner will not take their eyes off their dog for long enough to have the dog poop without them knowing.

It is therefore absolutely quite simple to clean up after your dog even if they are off lead.

Fair enough. I sometimes get a little frustrated with some people's blase attitude towards cleaning up their dog's poo. However, it's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush.

However by the same token, saying that people are killjoys just because they don't like dogs and are genuinely scared of them won't exactly endear them to a vast majority of people.

And I say this as someone who has owned dogs in the past and done the whole "going for a walk with a warm bag of dog poo in one hand". On the regular walk we'd pass two bins so I'd always say a silent prayer that doggy business would be done before just before either of the bins.

Oh no, don't get me wrong - there are plenty of people who have an abhorrent attitude towards picking up after their dog. However, this is probably because "nobody else seems to do it".

An issue with following the crowd, it seems.

On the topic of people who are afraid of dogs, however:

If a docile, well trained dog is being walked by their responsible owner and a person is still afraid of the dog? That is not the dog's fault, and it is not the owner's fault. It is the person with the phobia's own issue and they may want to work on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Maja wrote: »
    - what do you mean by that? Are greyhounds any threat to other dogs ? :confused:

Maybe if the other dog is a similar size to say another animal, perhaps a hare? D'ya follow?

Not the greyhounds themselves that are the problem but their owners...

Advertisement