Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna advice - Is Barna too far out?

Options
  • 13-04-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey,
    me again, i love Barna, but is it a pain the a** for commuting into town for work? for going to a gig in town, etc?
    Also, i plan on starting callanetics/pilates courses in a few months time, but am wondering if Barna would just be too quiet to start up out there?
    any advice would be great, thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hey,
    me again, i love Barna, but is it a pain the a** for commuting into town for work? for going to a gig in town, etc?
    Also, i plan on starting callanetics/pilates courses in a few months time, but am wondering if Barna would just be too quiet to start up out there?

A painful daily commute ? I'd say so.

For giving classes I think it would be ok. Barna is more populated than it was and it's attracted plenty of younger people who might be interested in those classes to live there.

You'd could also get people driving from Knocknacara and Spiddal. I'd imagine there are people in that direction who would be put off doing classes in town because it's not a quick drive.

Maybe you could check notice boards in the shops and see if any evening classes are going on out there and getting a decent response. Asking in a store like Evergreen there could be a good idea too as they might've got notices about health or fitness classes that have been done out in that direction before and might be able to tell you if there was much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it depends on when you leave, that is, what time you have to be in work for...

If you leave before 8 am, you're grand, and after 9 am, you're grand also. Between those hours, commuting is not that much fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Barna is lovely ( i live there so im biased lol) i think its the best of both worlds, has a rural feel to it but its 10 mins from the city.
    can recommend the dentist and doctor there above the pharmacy as well.
    callenetics havent heard that one in a while!! and i would go
    theres a yogo place behind supervalu and they seem to be doing ok
    good luck with wherever you go, and welcome to galway :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hey,
    I'm also from Barna and I've commuted to both Ballybrit and Oranmore for work. Both times I made sure I started work between 8:00am and 8:30am as any later turned the trip into a crawl. Going home in the evening used to be a killer and I assume it still is. The fundamental problem of there being only two ways across the city (either through the city or over the Quincentennial bridge) mean that there's no way to avoid being caught in traffic unless you leave before it or after it.

For going into town in the evenings for gigs or classes or whatever it's fine, you're in the city in about 15 minutes.

It's not clear from your last sentence whether you're planning on attending a class or giving a class. Either way, between Barna, Clybaun, Knocknacarra and Salthill there are plenty of people so you shouldn't have much trouble starting or attending a class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Traffic is lethal most after 8am until 9ish. It isn't far out but the traffic will keep you add 30 minutes to your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 oatsareclass

thanks for the replies folks, basically here is our situation, we are a couple, 30 yrs old, with a dog, are both hoping to get our own businesses up and running this year, i hope to begin exercise classes and my partner is involved with alternative music online stuff (good descrip eh!!) We have just moved from Switzerland (im irish, fella is swiss) and lets say there our social life consisted mainly of going to gigs, going for a few pints, and over to mates for dinner etc etc....So basically is Barna gona bore us? We have visited the place and it does have quite a young vibe about it considering its out a bit, and seems a good location for walking our monster (hes an irish setter for those of you who might see me being pulled by him if we end up in Barna, don't be afraid of him, hes a big eejit!)
    Lastly i should say i dont drive myself, so yes i know i will need to learn....

any more advice welcome!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about you stay at a B&B a night or two and see the night life in Barna for yourselves? I'm a city person so wouldn't like it I think - but then I haven't given it a try either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

thanks for the replies folks, basically here is our situation, we are a couple, 30 yrs old, with a dog, are both hoping to get our own businesses up and running this year, i hope to begin exercise classes and my partner is involved with alternative music online stuff (good descrip eh!!) We have just moved from Switzerland (im irish, fella is swiss) and lets say there our social life consisted mainly of going to gigs, going for a few pints, and over to mates for dinner etc etc....So basically is Barna gona bore us? We have visited the place and it does have quite a young vibe about it considering its out a bit, and seems a good location for walking our monster (hes an irish setter for those of you who might see me being pulled by him if we end up in Barna, don't be afraid of him, hes a big eejit!)

If you want to stay roughly that distance outside of Galway, have you thought of east rather than west as Oranmore would be good place for you to have a dog (Rinville Park etc) and there is a good pub life, a few decent restaurants etc and an okish(for galway) bus service into town (at least a couple of buses an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

We had two dogs in the past and both of them loved running around like mad feckers on the beach. Barna beach can be a bit manky with seaweed but as you're right on the coast you can easily drive to Furbo or Spiddal and find a quieter spot. When I was living in Barna I regularly went into Galway for gigs in Róisín Dubh and Sally Longs. It's only about 15 minutes by car. Lack of public transport is a pain but I think that applies to most places in Ireland outside of Dublin.

Advertisement