Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picnic sites in/near limerick

Options
  • 13-04-2010 3:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

please post any places you're aware of where one can have a picnic with an open fire... thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Most places I know dont allow "open fires" in fact are open fires banned?

Places for picnics where a fire is not allowed are:
    Killaloe, Cratloe Woods, Glenstal, Lough Gur and Curraghchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

I think there is a few benches at the junction of Hyde and Carey's road where fires are allowed.

bonfire01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Currachase has picnic facilities with barbeque bins if thats any good to you. Lovely spot about 12 miles out from limerick on the foynes road. 5 euro to get a car in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Curraghchase has a picnic area with specific facilities for BBQ. In between the different picnic tables there are 3 or 4 foot sections of concrete pipe turned upright and filled to nearly to the top with sand. Bring your own BBQ charcoal/fuel and a grate to go over top and away you go. I would presume random open fires are banned tho (technically I think they are not allowed within x distance of any forestry). Cost you a fiver to drive down there too.

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=109

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

langdang wrote: »
    Curraghchase has a picnic area with specific facilities for BBQ. In between the different picnic tables there are 3 or 4 foot sections of concrete pipe turned upright and filled to nearly to the top with sand. Bring your own BBQ charcoal/fuel and a grate to go over top and away you go. I would presume random open fires are banned tho (technically I think they are not allowed within x distance of any forestry). Cost you a fiver to drive down there too.

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=109

I go there a lot with our Scouts and they are doing Trojan work there. The picnic area is now really nice, right next to the car park and near the public toilets and with a nice view of the lake. We were there a few weeks ago and the works were just finishing up. There are 5 or 6 spots where you can put your disposable BBQ or you could bring your own grate as mentioned. You dont have to pay if you dont mind a bit of a walk from the barriers up to the main car park or if you park on the back roads behind the main house you can cut across from there. Again well worth a visit and very near town. You can also get a season pass card if you are going there a lot ( I think its around €30 )

You also have stonehall farm close bye for the kids and if you are out there on a Sunday Rigneys Farm have a shop that sells the most amazing free range pork products!! Mmmmmmmmmm, Its only open on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Yes love Curraghchase on a sunny day, highly recommended.

Although closer to me is Lough Gur so I am off there right now for a picnic in the glorious sunshine :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

thx for the replies. i checked the website and it says they've got designated areas for "recreational fires", too! :eek:
    would have to ask the reception i suppose.
    anyone know what time the gates close these days? is it 10pm or 6.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yes love Curraghchase on a sunny day, highly recommended.

Although closer to me is Lough Gur so I am off there right now for a picnic in the glorious sunshine :cool:

Curraghchase is fantastic on so many levels - I think they made an absolute eyesore out of the entire Car park area a while back though, it was like an explosion in a Builders-Supply Yard with all those Cast Concrete tubes spewed around on an expanse of bright, ugly gravel.

- They've slightly improved it since but it is still cheap and nasty looking...... And somebody please tell me why they have 10 Men out in high-vis jackets raking the same cordoned-off sand area for the past year?

When they can charge €5 per carload they should be able to put in something that cost more than €200 :(

Advertisement