Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The VIllagers

Options
  • 13-04-2010 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

One of the hottest Irish bands around on Joolz late slot tonight at 10pm on BBC2. Well worth tuning in

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

They are reallly good at being LOUD then really quiet alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Wouldnt have them down as loud at all from what I have heard of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Saw them supporting Neil Young.

what did you make of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Scien wrote: »
    Why aren't the rest of the band there?
    Was wondering that. But that was mightily impressive. He looks the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Yeah it sounded well in fairness... Pity though, I doubt he'll be able top their Other Voices appearance without their harmonies and lack of percussion, bass etc..
    Think the show is extended on Friday so we might see more from them then. That band Gogol Bordello a very lively lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭techno-allah

Villagers is really Conor O'Brien's baby. He does have a band but does a fair amount of shows solo. He did SXSW by himself as far as I've heard.

I'm fairly sure the gig in the Button Factory in May will be a full band affair.

Thought he was great on Jools, I do prefer the full band though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Saw him in the Roisin Dubh in Galway about this time last year, his songwriting and performing has definitely progressed a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I actually prefer him without the band, or at least with a stripped down version of the band. I saw him recently with the full show and it just didn't work as well, seemed a bit muddled together, though that may have been a sound issue.

I thought Conor did well last night on Joolz but if I had to choose would prefer to see him with a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

I was a big fan of The Immediate but i have to say i find The Villagers music rather boring... very radiohead wannabe like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭techno-allah

smilerf wrote: »
    I was a big fan of The Immediate but i have to say i find The Villagers music rather boring... very radiohead wannabe like

I don't hear that at all. What aspects do you think sound like Radiohead. Musically or vocally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'd say much more Bright Eyes. I like Villagers though. Conor is a real talent.

Yes he is off to Paris or Berlin now. A lot of reaction to his slot on Joolz with someone on Twitter comparing him to Hansard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

As has been stated, much more so Bright Eyes, with elements of Arcade Fire and The Decemberists in the live band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

He's gone crazy Oberstian and its wrecking my head. I love Hollow Kind so much and I'm worried the album is going to disappoint after hearing the first two tracks, 27 Strangers is just a Bright Eyes song. I guess I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Whatever about Bright eyes the band, did anyone think a few bars of that song he sang last night were lifted from "Bright eyes" by Art Garfunkel.... i think it was part of the chorus cos it happened a few times.

i'd hum the bit i mean but,

Advertisement