Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Racing Horses - Riverbank behind UL

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Shammy/Jumpy,
    No I don't think it's ok but it's not joe soap garda's fault. I'm well aware of the proximity of Roxboro to Childer's Rd. Blame the government/garda management for not providing enough vehicles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

buzzman wrote: »
    Why is it that the Guards get slated on boards the whole time. You'd swear that they sat in the various garda stations all day doing nothing. Limited manpower, limited availabilty of vehicles etc play a big part in some calls not being attended to quick enough.

Kess,
    You appear to have a major beef with Roxboro. Do you know what size of an area they cover, how many vehicles they have on at any one time, how many calls they get etc. You'd be surprised how many Gardai are on at any one time. As for thinking that you'll get a quicker response if you diall 999, not true, calls are still prioritised.

It's not a case of calling for them & they magically appear!

Oh that's ok then. A person can be beaten up in public and it is fine for the gardai who are literally minutes away not to show up.

I was under the impression that six guys beating up one guy in broad daylight would warrant a quick response.

I know for a fact that in the Ballinacurra area that there are many calls that have gone unanswered despite criminal damage being done and those responsibile being onsite for anything up to half an hour after the first call to that station.

Roxboro themselves have been asked for answers by the local committee and their response was to state at the local committe meeting that they had a number of unmarked cars on patrol the whole time in the area and that a fast response was guaranteed to any serious incidents.

So yes I have a major beef with their non response times, and if a person being attacked is not worth being prioritized then who knows what is a priority to them. But as I said earlier it is being passed on to local councillors and to the city council and I know a number of residents there have made sure to get itemised phonebills to prove the amount of calls made over incidents like cars being overturned, attacks on locals, attempted housebreaking and general vandalisism where no quick response has happened, so no doubt it will be taken further by the affected locals and at that point it will most likely get some publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Kess,
    That's neither what I said or implied. I'm merely point out some facts that often get lost whilst opinions are being given!!.

In an ideal world, we would have enough gardai on the streets, ambulances to respond to calls etc but we don't. It's not the fault of individual members who I can assure you work damn hard

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

freyners wrote: »
    was just beside the university pitch that borders kilmurry village yesterday. Saw at least one of them racing round the field on the cart (not sure what you really call it) absolutely flying it, not a fear of him being able to stop if someone didnt hear him coming.

I was running a few laps of the pitches there on the same day as part of my run. I was running in the opposite direction to him and as we got closer he clearly steered the horse towards me, forcing me further and further into the ditch.:mad:

I run a good bit down the riverbank from UL and have been nearly run down countless times, especially heading towards Bohs pitches. The path is quite narrow, they dont slow down or give any warning if theyre coming up quick behind you. You usually cant see or hear them coming becasue of the bends, and just have to jump out of the way at the last minute.

Not sure how they get onto the bank unless they get down from the entrance at the back of the industrial estate but it should definitely be closed off, its fair too dangerous to have horses galloping up and down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'd imagine a stick in the spokes would bring them to a halt quickly enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'd imagine a stick in the spokes would bring them to a halt quickly enough

I'm sure it would. The only problem being then that the same stick would end up lodged in your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Not to mention the injuries to the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

boomerang wrote: »
    Not to mention the injuries to the horse.

The Horse would probably appreciate the sight of a shotgun for the miserable life our culturally unique Travelling Population give them.

- Seems like an attractive career choice at this Stage; A 4X4, plenty of disposal income, no work commitments getting in the way of drinking and fighting duties, obey no law and act like a pure Cnut 24x7.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    The Horse would probably appreciate the sight of a shotgun for the miserable life our culturally unique Travelling Population give them.

- Seems like an attractive career choice at this Stage; A 4X4, plenty of disposal income, no work commitments getting in the way of drinking and fighting duties, obey no law and act like a pure Cnut 24x7.

Ahh now Raiser, don't you know that they are entitled to their supposed culture and to practise it without being curtailed by silly little things like laws, and regardless of whether it interferes with other folk and the rights of others.

I'm just waiting for some bill to be passed into law saying that the criminal scum who go around in tracksuits robbing, vandalising, and who are career dole users are in fact only following through on their culture, giving them to continue doing what they like but with the law behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

They reject society when it suits them, make no contribution to the greater good

How can a civilized society allow itself to be openly exploited in this manner?:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement