Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month olds words

• 13-04-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Our daughter is 15 months old and has about 16 or 17 words. I just want to know if this is an ok level to be at?
    How many words did your little ones have around this age?

Words she says:
    Mama
    Dada
    Ba-Ba
    Baby
    Daddy
    Inny (for our dog Vinny)
    Poo Poo
    Dora (Dora the explorer)
    Peppa Pig
    Ta-ta (thanks)
    Up
    Uh-oh
    Go
    Hiya
    Laura (child minders little girl)
    Baw-Baw (for her bottle)

And has one sentence "whats that?" - she asks this alot while pointing to objects!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't think my 15 month old has that many words!!

Mama,
    Dada,
    Baba,
    Joe Joe (her uncle joe)
    Gar (Star our dog)
    Bubby (Buffy our other dog)
    No,
    Daddy
    Dave (her Daddys name!)
    Ah ah
    Shoe
    More (always in relation to food!!!)

She'll also say "han koo" (thank you), "all gone", and "there's the shoe" while pointing or holding one of her shoes. And growls at a picture of a dinosaur we show her :o

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Don't think my 15 month old has that many words!!

Mama,
    Dada,
    Baba,
    Joe Joe (her uncle joe)
    Gar (Star our dog)
    Bubby (Buffy our other dog)
    No,
    Daddy
    Dave (her Daddys name!)
    Ah ah
    Shoe
    More (always in relation to food!!!)

She'll also say "han koo" (thank you), "all gone", and "there's the shoe" while pointing or holding one of her shoes. And growls at a picture of a dinosaur we show her :o

Awh she sounds SOOOOO cute!! Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

2 kids and my brother has 3, all different when talking and VERY different uptake to words from all of them. All kids are different afterall. Would not worry 1 bit about their level of wording, but one thing i've noticed and has been mentioned back to me is the way our kids pronounce words. My wife :D, has a habit of PHO-NE-TIC-ALL-Y pronouncing some words and well, the kids pick up on it and it shows now where my 2yr old has better grasp of words than my 3 yr old nephew.

Personal preference to not talk baby language to the kids, where my daughter (2yrs) says reera, for dora ... we still call her Dora. Kinda like Narney for Barney the dinosaur :) ... they realise this themselves after a while and just "get it".

... just wait until it changes from "Mama, Dada, i wuv u too .... to GET ME SOME FOOD and i dont love you anymore!" ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

cowhands wrote: »
    Our daughter is 15 months old and has about 16 or 17 words. I just want to know if this is an ok level to be at?
    How many words did your little ones have around this age?

Words she says:
    Mama
    Dada
    Ba-Ba
    Baby
    Daddy
    Inny (for our dog Vinny)
    Poo Poo
    Dora (Dora the explorer)
    Peppa Pig
    Ta-ta (thanks)
    Up
    Uh-oh
    Go
    Hiya
    Laura (child minders little girl)
    Baw-Baw (for her bottle)

And has one sentence "whats that?" - she asks this alot while pointing to objects!

We have more or less the same except the dog is called Braa (Bran) she says look and she doesn't say Dora or poo poo.I think it is fine for 15 months.
    not that and that's not are her only sentences.

I almost forgot to mention that she woofs,quacks and growls;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My almost 15 month old niece has about the same vocabulary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Just to put a stop to the joy....My 2 year old has no words. He understands everything and can sign lots but short of ma- nothing. No I'm not worried. (most of the time anyway) :)

I know other posters will be relieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Children develope in different ways and at different rates.
    A 1 year old with 30 words who natters away is with in the range of normal as the 2 year old who have very little words and takes thier time.

If a child is healthy and has had thier hearing checked out and everything is fine then they will get there, we can do all the flash cards in the world and talk to them until we are blue in the face but then they ready they will talk.

and then will come the day when all you want is for them to not be talking at you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Cowhands. Appears that her speech and language development is within normal milestones for her age. Taking account that every child is different we would be expecting 50 - 300 words at 24 months assessment.

Yeah that all sounds about right my niece is the same age and she says all those words and maybe a few more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

My daughter is 15/16 months old too, can't believe how many words she has and how much she understands.

Mammy
    Daddy
    Nanny
    Nanna (different gran)
    Ta ta
    No
    Hi ya
    Please
    Go (usually when harvey norman or any adds she likes)
    Yes
    No
    Nose
    Chin
    Eyes
    Neigh
    Moo
    Poo
    Picture
    book
    shoe
    Manny
    Mickey
    Minney
    Bath
    Duck
    Fish
    Light
    Want
    That
    Football
    baloon
    circle
    rice cake

and i'm sure her mammy could add a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lady now 10 was talking sentences at 18 months (could have a proper conversation with her) one of her first words was money... she still enjoys that word. She was also walking at 7 months.

My 4 year old boy was average

My 3 year old boy still only has 30 words and 4 sentences (receiving early intervention)

They are all different and just as cute with or without words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Easy knowing the OP has just the one child!! :D There is no normal, all children develop at different rates, from the words your child is communicating I would say she is developing within the normal range. Nothing to be worried about at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Seeing this thread is not doing me any favours, My son is 14 months old tomoro and he hasnt a single word, he just babbles. He used to say dada and baba, now nothing. I am so worried, your children have plenty:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Wolfpawnpat,
    There's a small(ish) part of me thinking that this thread is more about pride than inquiry.

Reminds me of a woman I met once who told me that her 12 month old loved reading her brothers books!!!!!!!:rolleyes: (the childs brother was 7 BTW)

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Seeing this thread is not doing me any favours, My son is 14 months old tomoro and he hasnt a single word, he just babbles. He used to say dada and baba, now nothing. I am so worried, your children have plenty:(:(:(

Hun, I told you not to worry about himself! He'll get his words in time, no rush, once he's talking you'll want him to be quiet ;) All babies are different and Addison babbles more than talks! Well, apart from the shoes... every ten minutes "there's the shoeeee" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Wolfpawnat, Alannah is almost 15 months and doesn't really say words either. She babbles mostly, she does say dada but its random. anyone I've said it to has said "babies all develop at different stages" so not going to worry about it for the moment!

She recognises certain words so just going to keep talking to her and hopefully she'll have a word explosion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Anyone else notice that all the babies with lots of words at 15-18 months are girls?

My 22mth old BOY has the same words now has the OP's. His first word after Mam and Dad and baba was an interpretation of banana and that was at 15 months. Most of his speech now is that incoherant babbling that sounds like a different language. I could stress about it but he's such a communicator - i.e. gestures, his words, babbling etc that I think he's just developing in his own little time.

I don't think I would be generalising in saying that girls' language develops more quickly than boys. All the research suggests that there is a wide spectrum of "normal". I have come to accept that when it comes to talking my ds is running on the lower end of this spectrum, but I imagine by the time he is 5 and starting school he will be just as well able to talk and learn (and be the genius that he is going to be) as the baby who was stringing sentences at 18 months.......:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

My man turned 15 months yesterday.. His vocab is limited... here's the words he CAN say, but some of these wouldn't be used often.

Mama
    Dada
    Goh (gone)
    Ta ta (give that to me now, woman)
    eeoooowwww (miaow)
    oof oof (woof woof)
    Moo (moo)
    Emma (Emmett, the older brother)
    tickatickatickaticka (tickle tickle tickle tickle)
    Bye
    Cool

That's about it, I think. He may not be the brainiest toddler around, but he can get by on his stunning good looks :pac:

Quackles wrote: »
    My man turned 15 months yesterday.. His vocab is limited... here's the words he CAN say, but some of these wouldn't be used often.

Mama
    Dada
    Goh (gone)
    Ta ta (give that to me now, woman)
    eeoooowwww (miaow)
    oof oof (woof woof)
    Moo (moo)
    Emma (Emmett, the older brother)
    tickatickatickaticka (tickle tickle tickle tickle)
    Bye
    Cool

That's about it, I think. He may not be the brainiest toddler around, but he can get by on his stunning good looks :pac:

That's it Quackles, they may not say much, but the don't have to! Their beauty says it all :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

Wolfpawnpat, I know it's easier said than done but i really wouldnt' worry about your little not saying much at the moment. My eldest son (now ten, didnt' start to say much until he was nearly two, aside from mama dada and mine and even those didnt' till he was about 17/18 months old. Now i cant get him to shut up, :D. Academically wise he's a year ahead with reading and vocab than the rest of his classmates, so don't be worrying about your little one being a slow starter, it has no real relevance on their developmental milestones when they are older, most of the time.
    I did however find my second child was alot quicker to speak than his older brother but this was proably due to having an older sibling in the house, i may test that theory out with my 15week old daughter when she's a bit older. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

just to clarify, i'm not calling your little one a slow started, just tryin to get across that you shouldn't be thinking of him that way, as all babies will speak in their own good time and not a minute before they want to. So please dont' take offense as none was meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

my middle girl had lots of words at home at this age...but just never spoke to anyone. it wasn't shyness or anything just didn't feel the need to speak. my dad called her the silent mover. my friend thought she was a bit slow.. we always went visiting to her house and it was only when she was in our house one day and heard her babbling away (she was about 3) she told us it was the first time she heard her speak!!
    now she will not shut up... particularly when watching movies:D i can't believe she was ever quiet..
    she tells us that her little brother(15 weeks) tells her everything and she understands cos she can do baby speak..then goes on to babble in babyspeak:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

What I find interesting about my 14 month olds speech is that while you can teach her a proper new word like saying "this" when she points and says "that", at the same time she is teaching us new words as her vocabulary expands. For instance all birds are guguhs. I have no idea why? We say bird she say guguh :) Now we say guguh too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Grawns wrote: »
    What I find interesting about my 14 month olds speech is that while you can teach her a proper new word like saying "this" when she points and says "that", at the same time she is teaching us new words as her vocabulary expands. For instance all birds are guguhs. I have no idea why? We say bird she say guguh :) Now we say guguh too :D

Funny, ducks are gaygays in our house, from the older fellow - I'd still point out water fowl to Euan and call them gaygays :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

It's like learning a secret language :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

axel rose wrote: »

Reminds me of a woman I met once who told me that her 12 month old loved reading her brothers books!!!!!!!:rolleyes: (the childs brother was 7 BTW)

Hee hee... reminds me of our 3 year old daughter. She loves sitting down and "reading" her big sister's book. She just looks through the pictures and makes it up as she goes along. Then, when she realises you're listening, she gets all embarrassed :-) The little sweetheart :-)

You know, at that age, it's almost like they are teaching us their language rather than the other way around. There are so many words our children have introduced into our vocabulary like the following:

- Happycop (Helicopter)
    - Pewpeter (Computer)
    - Monster Story School (Montessori school)

My advice is to enjoy every minute of them when they are this age - it's over so quickly. Spend less time worrying about their deveopment and more time interacting with them and enjoying them and they won't have a problem in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

axel rose wrote: »
    Just to put a stop to the joy....My 2 year old has no words. He understands everything and can sign lots but short of ma- nothing. No I'm not worried. (most of the time anyway) :)

I know other posters will be relieved.
    I have posted this before, my 16 month old daughter hasn't any words, very rarely she might say ma or da but nothing else.I was told the main thing is that the child understands you and understands what you are saying, and when they do eventually speak they blurt out loads of things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jessica C

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Each and every child is different and the children who start later generally catch up soon enough. Just give your child plenty of patience and care. Most children this age love to have stories read to them - get hold of some good picture books and say the names of various objects. Soon your child will be naming them proudly as you point them out.
    Just be wary of hearing difficulties as this can go unnoticed! Talk to your GP or nurse if you're worried - you should have a developmental coming up in a few months anyway.

Advertisement