Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Library in Portarlington

Options
  • 13-04-2010 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

A new Library is being built by Laois County Council in the Peoples Park in Portarlington. The building will also provide some new civic offices for Council staff and is to be located beside the new fire station. More green space will be taken up for car parking. Many locals feel that the money could be better spent elsewhere - the current library is a very good facility -and there was no demand locally for this. The park regularly floods each year and the community had no say in the decision.
    Does the town need this at the moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

problem with public money is that is allocated for project X and if you don't use it you lose it.

I personally don't think its needed ( espc in that area ) but what are the civic offices to be used for ??

Is the current liabary going to expand the court house next door ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hard rain

The offices are for use by staff from Laois and Offaly County Councils. Laois Co Co currently have an office in Port, rented accommodation in Park Lane, which is open a few days a week. No decision has been made with regard to the future use of the present Library as far as I am aware. Also not sure of the total cost of this venture. Anyone out there know?
    The current library could serve as additional space for Social Welfare but won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

i wish they'd renovate the Savoy for use as a Library, instead of building on a greenfield site. I guess the Savoy wouldn't be large enough for offices too, but just build them somewhere else like the business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

I've been in the library a fair bit over the past couple of months and there is rarely anyone in there. Can't see why it would warrant a new build. Would love to see the money spent on a Dunamaise style arts centre. It'll never happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hard rain

Have been tryin to find out how much the project will cost. If I do I'll let ye know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gareth28

They should leave Peoples Park to the PEOPLE!

There is no need for a new library when the old one is just fine.

Waste of money and something stinks!

Advertisement