Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipmunk

Options
  • 13-04-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had one as a pet? What are like? Would you reccomend them? Do they need a lot of looking after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've never had one but I've researched them alot.

The main thing is that chipmunk cages that you buy are too small, even the massive ones. For such small animals they need alot of space. So a homemade cage would be better, and should be as big as possible. An outdoor run/aviary could also be made, but would need a sheltered area too and to be very secure, with a double door and double wire if there are cats around.

Alot of people say that they can never be tamed but some people say that's not true. They probably need handling from a young age to be tame, and then you'd probably have to either sit inside the cage (if it's massive) or let them play in a safe room and sit with them for a while each day, at least 20-30 minutes to tame them.

They are pretty cheap to feed. The expensive thing is the cage. If you do decide to buy a cage (I'd check www.zooplus.ie) then just make sure they can run around a safe room for a while each day.

They can eat rodent food, with some fresh veggies and fruit, and also a few bits of dry cat food since they're omnivores.

I've seen them in pet shops but I wouldn't advise buying them there since they're probably not tame at all and would need alot of work, if they ever became tamed. Unless you know a really good pet shop, but handle them first to see. It might be hard to find someone who breeds them but that's what I'd do.

I'd really love chipmunks! I'll definitely get some someday, but right now I just don't have the space or money to build/buy an aviary.

Oh also, they can live in groups, just make sure there are more females than males, if you're mixing sexes. Or just have two males or two females if you don't want babies.

Hopefully that was helpful, I just remembered all that off websites I read so hopefully I'm right . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, hate seeing them in cages they never look happy in them.
    They need a large avairy for sure and socks, they love to hide stuff in socks. Remember seeing that on the Animal Park programme a good while ago, they found socks were very popular with the chipmunks, just a matter of changing them for clean ones now and then because stuff they hide in there can sometimes be left too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

In an aviary style cage they can be great pets - pop a chair in the cage & feed them on your lap & they soon tame down - never grab them tho as they drop their tails when grabbed (this is a defence thing)

I would have a small group of males & females or 3 of either sex. They take time to tame - should be inquisitive & should take food from your hand - they love a little toast & jam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Agree, hate seeing them in cages they never look happy in them.
    They need a large avairy for sure and socks, they love to hide stuff in socks. Remember seeing that on the Animal Park programme a good while ago, they found socks were very popular with the chipmunks, just a matter of changing them for clean ones now and then because stuff they hide in there can sometimes be left too long.

I saw that episode too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

had 2 chipmunks , cage was about 5-6ft high 4 levels to it , plent of room for them to run about , cheap to feed and easy to care for , , they love fruit and monkey nuts , and will follow your hand all around the cage ,
    great pets

• Advertisement
Advertisement