Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is a thread on different voting methods. the problem here is people voting on phots that dont adhere to the rules.

which i think is pointless

one entry is not fair . as i know a lot use the assignment s a learning exercise. i like hearing c&c on the photo and possibly come back with a new improved version

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭plasticman3327

While it doesnt fit the date range this is one of the nicest pics I have seen in a long time

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65562109&postcount=7

Such a nice image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Does the "Do not quote pics" rule count in here? I think it should - it's driving me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Looks like nobody will agree on simplicities here. Just leave it as is, and a Mod should clean out any pics that break the rules maybe? And quoting pictures is very annoying, there's someone doing it repeatedly even after saying sorry for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

And defo everyone can enter as many images as they want, only one image/pp/per assingment would completly contradict with the original mindset and intention of these assignments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah, agreed, was just trying to think of a way to clean it up. Removal of non-conforming pics would be better and no quoting images.

removal of non conforming pics will create a riot here. i would like to see it alright. but there is a lot of stuff which can be open to interpretation. fro axample street photography. someone took a picture of a road play mat. technically it was a picture of a street. but was not in the sense of the actual meaning of the assignment.

deleting pictures woudl go down like a sh1t sandwich at a sunday picnic. ( although i would like to see something done as this place is beginning to annoy me, its like special ed assignemts here, people voting because there was an effort made to take a picture but they not taking into account the assignment at all.)

have said it beofre and i will be saying it agin. if you want to post pictures do it ( its good ) but post them in the random thread. If you want to post pictures in relation to the asssignment that follows the very few rules ( which i dont think make it any less fun) you are more than welcome to post it here.

there are a few basic rules here..... date, subject, quoting pictures.

all of which have been broken lately.

The date one for instance has been brought uop in the last few assignments. if its not in date you did not take the picture with the assignment in mind and should be not included.

anyway my daily rant is over ....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

It's a selective desaturation, if anything, it's certainly not monochrome.

All this talk of what is, or isn't monochrome, shouldn't really matter.

The votes are what counts, if enough people vote for a non-monochrome (like Pete's or this image) then so what? They obviously feel it fits the bill.

I personally won't vote for a non-monochrome image, and if most people do likewise a non-monochrome image won't win the monochrome challenge. Outside of pics taken outside the date range, then let the vote decide what's what.

i know where your coming from but i think if something doesnt fit the brief it should be removed by a mod, the picture in question is in my limited knowledge not a monochrome shot in the slightest,its so clearly a colour shot. so what is it even posted, again its a great shot but it doesnt fit the brief. But hey im still trying to understand what monochrome is exactly, some entries are confusing the hell out of me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

projectgtr wrote: »
    i know where your coming from but i think if something doesnt fit the brief it should be removed by a mod, the picture in question is in my limited knowledge not a monochrome shot in the slightest,its so clearly a colour shot. so what is it even posted, again its a great shot but it doesnt fit the brief. But hey im still trying to understand what monochrome is exactly, some entries are confusing the hell out of me :o

Its simple in my understanding, a monochrome image contains different intensities of the same colour, from Black to White, and we're not talking about different hues in a family of a colour, like blue or, red or whatever, but a saturation range of a specific hue.

Stunt penguin explains it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65572670&postcount=19

So you can't just say, hello my picture of a tonne of grass and trees and stuff contains lots of greens, and nothing but greens, therefore it's monotone, because it still contains a load of different hues, which make up a family that we commonly refer to as green. You would need to desaturate the image, and recolour it with various intensities of a specific hue of green for it to count.

As is my understanding anyway, I'm open to correction.

As keps said in the main thread. the standard is great. a wide range of subjects and methods.

keep it up everyone. i can see an improvement in a lot of people here. its great.

just take into account what you guys are voting for :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Weel seems this idea is preety much not up to much as it seems more poeple seem "content" discussing things on the main assignement thread! ah well some things never change and prob never will, i'll just stick to lurking and posting photos the odd time again now...:o

wa worth a shot. i think its ok sayin a picture is good but not discussing it.

i give up :confused:

Weel seems this idea is preety much not up to much as it seems more poeple seem "content" discussing things on the main assignement thread! ah well some things never change and prob never will, i'll just stick to lurking and posting photos the odd time again now...:o

i know the feeling bro but stick with it ;), give people a chance to get used to it.

Great idea for a challange nice and broad and most people im sure its within everyones capabalities to take a snap of some landscape somewhere, now ive an excuse to jump into the car and head out round donegal taking photos as if i needed an excuse, lol.

• Advertisement

lucky you living there. this assignment ideal for you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

hi gang,
    i know it's off topic but i'm not too sure where else to post this.
    lens is broken (stuck) need to get it fixed today. preferably in dublin city somewhere. I went to another thread that suggested places but those seem to be gone.
    Somewhere that's good but not too expensive would be great.
    thanks!

My advise milky is to post it in the main photo section of the site would get a lot more views soory i cant help ya though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

As HS said, post up a new thread in the main forum, I'm sure you'll get pointed in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Great idea for a challenge, really hope I get a chance to participate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

not mad about the choice of assignment.

I personally think this will favour the person who writes the best, and it no longer becomes about the photograph.

Also, I think this assignment favours the person living in a rural setting, as opposed to living in the city.

Just my 2c tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I dont think the writing is all that important and hope its doesnt put people off - it was a suggestion to make it interesting is all.

Maybe I'm missing something but I dont really see these things as competitive, more an encouragement for people to try various things that might push them beyond everyday random shooting? Personally I've found being given a task and having to think about it a good source of motivation and inspiration to go take a pic or two.

In terms of favouring people...I think this is so broad anyone can contribute...ya dont have to look very hard to find a monument, an old farm house, a church whatever.... and in terms of the subject matter it can be a anything really?

I dunno my intention was to have it broad and interesting sorry you feel it excludes you.

Not to be a smart ass but just to highlight how broad this can be

Your first two flickr pages ....

Greystones,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greystones

Marlay Park,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlay_Park

Raglan Road,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Raglan_Road

Trinity ... I think is obvious enough.

Just making the point that its the picture that will count the words are just an interesting aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Ah... I see, you don't have to write it in your own words. You can quote from the internet.

Okay fair enough. Good assignment choice ;)

Well its up to you, references are cool, I made a couple of passing remarks in the couple of items but that was about it heh heh ... I see why you might be a bit put off initially, I wouldnt be a history wizard by any means at all myself....glad we cleared it up will update the assignment post itself

swingking wrote: »
    not mad about the choice of assignment.

I personally think this will favour the person who writes the best, and it no longer becomes about the photograph.

Also, I think this assignment favours the person living in a rural setting, as opposed to living in the city.

Just my 2c tho

WHAT!! there is more local history in cities i believe than rural areas.

does not have to be famous history it could be the house you grew up in ,or the church you were married in or evn the house you grew up in. ( well thats what i think anywya)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

One of the examples given by Trev was the Jeanie Johnson - which was docked on the banks of the Liffey for a while.

So I think we can expand the term ' local' to 'convenient for you '.

A Dubliner could do a bit of research on Dún Aongus on the Aran Islands or the Giant's Causeway -take a photo -and then link it in on Wikepedia -

The rules are flexible and people will vote for the best photo anyway.

All you have to do is look at how many people voted for a train(sorry Dart) on the Landscape assignment!!!!

keps wrote: »

All you have to do is look at how many people voted for a train(sorry Dart) on the Landscape assignment!!!!

that was so annoying! it was a train!!!!! not a landscape. :eek:

would anybody be interested to run a "hardcore" assignment parralel to the photo assignment thread.

as in , one vote per person, possibly even one picture per person.

it wont interfere with the photo assignment thread but it might make people think about what they are posting rather than posting a picture of just lets just say a wheel ( although i could just go out and take a picture of the wheel of my car and post it and someone will thank it. ) with no specific photographic elements in it other than its a picture of a wheel.

is it a case a mod does it? or can anyone start it?

anyone interested? nothing stopping you entering both assignments and also there would be 2 subjects running at the same time too. i dont see it being any extra work for anyone really. and if you have one shot at it it will really make you think about it. or post just your best pic you think you have. rather than sending in loads and hoping for the best.

Martron wrote: »
    would anybody be interested to run a "hardcore" assignment parralel to the photo assignment thread.

as in , one vote per person, possibly even one picture per person.

it wont interfere with the photo assignment thread but it might make people think about what they are posting rather than posting a picture of just lets just say a wheel ( although i could just go out and take a picture of the wheel of my car and post it and someone will thank it. ) with no specific photographic elements in it other than its a picture of a wheel.

is it a case a mod does it? or can anyone start it?

anyone interested? nothing stopping you entering both assignments and also there would be 2 subjects running at the same time too. i dont see it being any extra work for anyone really. and if you have one shot at it it will really make you think about it. or post just your best pic you think you have. rather than sending in loads and hoping for the best.

if its up i'd give it a go but i think the way it is currently is grand apart from the odd way way off topic entries and the odd chancing their arm before the date entries.

The only problem i see is that you will have no entries untill the last day maybe even few hours of the assignment and therefore not enough time for voting, it simply wouldn't work IMO cos if you enter early on and take a better photo a week later you cannot enter it!

• Advertisement

well its not to change the way it is , its to have a seperate different challenge.

and if all the action only happens in the last few days so be it.(if you miss out on voting on it because the photos were only up the last days thats the way it goes. but there is a lot of traffic through here the whole time so i am sure that wont be a problem)
    i think it will produce different types of photos and make judging it more critical. and elliminate the "i know him , i will vote for him" type thing.

The 'success' of the current format is its informality.

People of all standards feel they can have a go.

In all cases I can recall on the challenges the best photo has won or has been very close to winning.

So in the current scenario we get a lot of entries with the best photo winning - whereas I think in the format being advocated by Martron there would be a lot fewer entries - with presumably the best photo winning.

So I don't see the point in the concept of dividing and duplication.

The really disappointing aspect of the challenges is that a lot of the people who could help raise the standard in the various themes by submitting photos and maybe giving some C&C(which is encouraged on the challenges) just ignore it to a large extent.

That is the real pity.

it wont be a duplication as the topics would be different as the winner of either challeneges may not be the same.

anyone can enter either one. the other challenege will still be there and will still be informal. but this challenge will be here to attract the photographers ( which you said dont post or comment) back to the challenges (possibly because of the bull**** posts i dont post because of.)

i for one dont post in the other challenege because it quite frankly annoys me seeing some of the entries that are entered for the sake of entering in the challenge ( i am sure i have been guilty of this in the past) and are being thanked.

its not trying to change the existing challeneg its just trying to creat another challenege ( to run at the same time , that anyone can enter, but some of the rules are different to make it intentionally harder to stretch the photographers that choose to enter)

people can enter the other one and dont ever have to go near the other tougher challenege. so it wont ever effect them. so anyone who is worried that they may not like it wont have to do it.

i think the subject matter can be tougher too without as much arguing. ( Petes4130 public transport assignment springs to mind , i was a moaner on that one but times have changed. )

it would be like an elite challenge( not saying you need to be elite to post in it) tougher rules , tougher challenges. with the whole aim to produce better photos

i think it would be a great idea, why not have more challenges, and better rules id give a thumbs up to that, sure whats stopping us??

What I think is that some of the mods and others should get behind and encourage what is a successful formula- and work to improve that.

Not go off on some elitist tangent.

For instance we had a very first time poster ever on Boardsie on the last Photo Challenge and his/her post was a very fine photo.

That should be encouraged and nurtured - rather than slagging the photo(and then by extension the person) as one person- who did not even contribute a photo decided to do.

What I think is that some of the mods and others should get behind and encourage what is a successful formula- and work to improve that.

Not go off on some elitist tangent.

my use of the word elite was wrong. its not an elitist its more restricted to make people rweally think about there photography. i am not toucj=hing the other assignment and that will stand.

i want to creatge another challenge for those who want to participatte in a more challenging enviroment.

its not elitist. i want to be challeneged more. and i am sure there will be more interested in this.

sure its only successful as its the only formula.

Martron

I challenge you to win the 'Wheels' assignment.

To do that you have to get more thanks than anyone else!

Not 1 from a friend for taking a pic of the wheel of your car.

Martron

I challenge you to win the 'Wheels' assignment.

To do that you have to get more thanks than anyone else!

Not 1 from a friend for taking a pic of the wheel of your car.
    :rolleyes: the current system is fatally flawed, after entering a couple of "challenges" i found it wasnt a challenge as such it was a popularity contest with very little emphasis on the on the actual title, with pictures being entered having noting to do with the task and getting plenty of votes :rolleyes: id love to see an other challenge run along side the current one, like i said before whats stopping it?

• Advertisement

ha ha very good.

i am not spitting the dummy out of the pram because i am not winning. i am trying to creat a new challenge to prevent certains things from happening.

like pictures that hve nothing to do with the brief getting votes and the other points i have mentioned previously.

Can you show me one photo that has won a challenge that did not conform to the terms of the assignment?
    Can you show me a photo that came in the top three that did not conform?

You are missing the entire point here.

These challenges are about involvement and not elitism.

You have no idea how dispiriting it is to get no votes for a photo-and we all know that- so we give a thanks here and there.

But that does not mean that when the bigger decision on who the 'winner' is going to be that the community lacks judgement or fairness.

That's my opinion anyway.

What I have noticed is that most of the 'photo' Mods like An Cat Dubh now totally ignore the challenges -which makes me think that they agree with Martron -and that the days of the 'Challenge' as we know it are numbered.

i agree that the challenges have been flying under the radar in modville lately but i dont think the challenges are going to stop.

sympathy votes are annoying.

i have got no votes for some pictures but i would prefer c&c than a sympathy vote.

sympathy votes encourage more bad photography.

and its not encouraging elitism . i would like someone to be truthful about my photography.if i got no votes i would try hard the next time. instead of getting some votes and thinking to myself that i am heading down the right path.

the random thread is for thank hunting. as far as i am concerned the assignments is like an online class.

but i think you just proved a point of mine that pictures were thanked for the sake of thanking it. and that benefits no one.

but as i said i am not tryin to change the challenge. i am tryin to run a stricter ( more beneficial ) one concurrently

and surely it revamp intrest in the challenges rather than kill it

ha ha very good.

i am not spitting the dummy out of the pram because i am not winning. i am trying to creat a new challenge to prevent certains things from happening.

like pictures that hve nothing to do with the brief getting votes and the other points i have mentioned previously.

This is a totally free community

Under the heading Photo Challenge you are free and entitled to start your own thread and competition.

Just do it.

Walk the walk.

i will then......... :D

thats all you had to say.

• Advertisement

Well I might even contribute:)

thats the spirit

In the meantime see if in the next 10 days if you could come up with a photo good enough to win the -Wheels Theme.

Or are you afraid of 'nul points'?

nope not afraid........

like i said i would prefer nil points rather than sympathy votes.

i will see what i can do .

you will have to enter the challenege i put up then :D

nope not afraid........

like i said i would prefer nil points rather than sympathy votes.

i will see what i can do .

you will have to enter the challenege i put up then :D

That's a promise - even though I might be the only one??

• Advertisement
Advertisement