Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment Discussion Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

"you hang up"

"no you hang up"
    :D

Only joking guys , right out with the camera tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

keps wrote: »
    That's a promise - even though I might be the only one??

thats fine. at least someone likes the idea of it!!! ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Just on the 'Challenge' as it stands - Can I suggest to the mods that they make a rule that the person who sets the 'new' challenge each fortnight cannot be the winner on the 'theme' they set.

Knowing the theme in advance gives them an unfair advantage.

They can enter ok- but cannot win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

What I have noticed is that most of the 'photo' Mods like An Cat Dubh now totally ignore the challenges
    Martron wrote: »
    i agree that the challenges have been flying under the radar in modville lately

Em...., guys, with absolute respect to you both but the challenges are 100% community led and community driven. They exist not because of anything to do with the moderators. They weren't set up by the moderators, and aren't fuelled by moderator involvement.

I've personally partaken in a few, but they're not really my cup of tea because (a) I don't shoot often enough, and (b) because of (a) when I do shoot, I have my own challenge in mind. I do drop by occasionally and will offer a thanks to anything which I feel has merit - never a sympathy vote. If i haven't voted for an image either it hasn't grabbed my attention, or I don't think it is particularly well taken, or I don't see how it fits the brief, or I don't think the photographer has stretched themselves, or I simply haven't seen it, or it doesn't make me laugh. I didn't do much viewing on the last challenge if memory serves me.

@Keps - As a point of clarification, in theory i'm not moderating photography at all any more (actually, for a long time now). What time I spend here (again in theory) is as a user of the forum unless I have a specific purpose responding to a user or moderator request. That being said, in fairness of late i've been doing a bit of modding on the forum as some of the regular forum moderators have limited internet access -- this as I would do on any forum under the arts category if requested to do so.

As a casual opinion on the assignment;

They aren't a new concept. I think it was unfortunate that assignments actually stopped / moved over when the challenges grew legs, but that was what the community wanted and hence I'm personally (as a user of the forum) cool with it.

If starting up a series of assignments, then my advice/suggestion is to ensure it is significantly different from the challenge, to make it meaningful otherwise it has the potential to conflict with the challenge (which no matter what way you look at it is incredibly successful and enjoys broad enjoyment of those that partake in it). If it conflicts with the challenge it will cause general confusion as to what people are partaking in and people may lose interest.

Hence - i've had a look at the set of new rules and to be honest, the structure has altered but it is kinda very similar to the challenge.

Some comments intended to be constructive:

The theme is singular and follows identically in the sequence of the challenges. I'd suggest it should be expanded or at least a more defined brief.
    *Photos must be posted within 1 week of the day the task was set – the closing time/date is 10pm tuesday 17th August 2010.
    (this is to prevent inactivity in the thread due to other rule changes, also you get the weekend to shoot)

I'd suggest a week is incredibly short for an assignment. To me assignments should be substantial and may take time to ferment inside those participating. A month minimum - or longer if required.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify.
    Therefore, the photo must be taken after 11pm on the 10th August 2010.

Grand - again timeframe is surprisingly short. (identical structure to the challenges albeit shorter).
    *Photos must be on the given task.( Like everything in life things are open to interpretation, but please adhere to the subject. Although a car can go fast a parked car does not give the impression of speed.)

True, only for an assignment I'd expect photographers to have somewhat more use of their imagination and more of a free reign on the subject matter.
    *ONE photo per poster so think about beofre you post

A single photo is fine if it can tell the story, but why not allow a photo-journo type of setup with a sequence of images - the photo essay as it were which if the assignment was substantial you'd expect. Ok, perhaps limit to maybe "in not more than 5 images"
    *One vote per poster so make it count!

Perfect, only to be honest it will become as corrupt in the perception as anything else on forum could be accused of being, once you have identities involved. Yes, we should all be adults but then you wouldn't have your concerns about the challenge thread if my understanding of what you've posted thus far is right. Previously when the forum ran assignments, submissions were made anonymously, and voting was anonymous so you didn't know who submitted the image and you didn't know who voted for what.
    *C&C to be encouraged - Be constructive, and helpful.

Grand if people want to hear it. (identical to the challenge threads?)
    *Stretch yourself – there is no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.( the more styles, and techniques the better )

This is good. (identical to the challenge threads?)
    *The next task/subject is to be chosen by the person who has the most thanks after their post at the closing date/time(the post must include a photo).

It mightn't be the best way of it happening but could work if you had enough in depth thought consistent across winners. (identical to the challenge threads?)

Anyway for me (purely as a user of the forum) - I think as proposed (actually, as of now as has been setup) it doesn't differentiate from the challenge enough. It does read of some disgruntlement with how the challenges are voted upon, and as something which not by design but in practice will be 'in competition' with the challenge.

In summary, I'd personally welcome a longer assignment concept with anonymous submissions and voting. However in terms of how it is heading, I would far rather see the discussion with regards to the concerns on the challenge voting and a solution emerge if a solution is actually needed.

Thems me thoughts.

Just on the 'Challenge' as it stands - Can I suggest to the mods that they make a rule that the person who sets the 'new' challenge each fortnight cannot be the winner on the 'theme' they set.

I'd suggest that the mods don't do anything with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not an unreasonable idea but something like this should come from consensus across the community that are involved with the challenge. As said in the earlier post the mods don't own the challenge concept, so i'd personally hate to see them beginning to make rules on them.

Actually the only times they should be involved, is if any poster is outside of forum charter stuff (responding to reported post, etc.) or if they are partaking in the assignment / challenge themselves in a personal capacity.

Once I hear the words 'with absolute respect to you both'

I just close down the window.

Daddy is speaking.

Having got over that - I agree with the rest of the AnCatDubh's post

AnCatDubh wrote: »

very valid thoughts and suggestions. i was not going to overhaul the whole assignment idea.

i wanted to tweak it. to make posting and voting a more thought out process which i think the new rules may be.

as for the photo essay style. i have not come across much of this in the other assignments. most multiple posts seem to be of the same subject but not directly related. a photo essay could be a subject of a an assignment in which the number of posts could be altered

The time frame is short but in fairness it it gives people a week to produce one photo.

Although the overall structure of he assignment has not changed important rules have changed totally changing the dynamics of the assignment. making it ( as previously mentioned) a more thought out process to both develop more analytical judgement and more composed photos.

it wont be to everyones cup of tea but its not as if i am asking people to take a picture of someone on a train that is of different race to you ( sorry i could not resist)

Once I hear the words 'with absolute respect to you both'

I just close down the window.

Daddy is speaking.

Well, I'll immediately apologise if i've offended you on it.

I did actually intend to offer respect to what you both had posted to indicate that I wasn't in any way intending to belittle either of your posts.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Well, I'll immediately apologise if i've offended you on it.

I did actually intend to offer respect to what you both had posted to indicate that I wasn't in any way intending to belittle either of your posts.

My mistake again (Mo bhotún arís)

I totally withdraw my comment

( I read the first line and didn't bother to read on- my bad)

• Advertisement

just one more thinon what an cath dubh said also.

the themes of the assignments were linked slighlty to get the first one off the ground. the other assignments will be different as they will be possible chossen by different people on different start dates of each other

I think we should
    Catch the Midnight
    Metro to Mars
    and drink our fill on
    The Milky Way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've only become active on the Photography forum in the last month or two, and entered my first challenge with the last theme. But I'd like to add my 2c, for what it's worth.

What I like about the Photography forum as a whole is that it seems to be welcoming of people of all levels (even the 24 hour magazine). The standard of photographers in the forum is phenomenal, and as a relative noob I wouldn't have felt confident contributing where it not for this mantra. While different challenges shouldn't be discouraged IMO (there is a whole subforum after all) the motives for this new challenge do come across (to me anyway) as being somewhat elitest, even if this wasn't the intention of Martron. I completely agree with AnCatDubh that if there are reservations about the current challenge format, they should be addressed.

i am not trying to create an elitist culture at all.

you will see some things here that flaunt the rules. which is fine. and people can continue doing that.

i am just opening a seperate challeneg in which is intentionally more restricted to make people think about what they are posting and why they are voting. ( from an artistic point of view not a moral point of view)

if you enjoy posting in the other assignment by all means continue doing that. you dont have to ever enter in the other challenege.

so it should not be a problem to anyone really. i am not changing the existing challenege i am just creating a new one. which you can enter if you like.

i am only trying to create more appreciation for photography , from the idea , to the processing to the judging.

i am not trying to ruin anyones fun in the other assignment at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Necronomicon and Keps, and Martron, I agree with all :D.
    You see, I'm delighted I can humbly submit pics as a newbie in the challenges and random photothread, it is so nice to feel welcomed and supported. But at the same time, I do like to see higher standard photographs, if this place lost its top contributors (quality not necessarily quantity)it would lose appeal for me as a newbie. So I suppose it needs to cater for both newbi-ish people, but also to offer some kind of a meaningful challenge for more experienced photogs, if that's what Matron is trying to achieve, that's ok by me, actually, makes it all the more interesting.
    I do feel that the current challenges, sympathy votes and all, are pretty accurate. After all, all voting is proportionate to what has been voted for others, so really, if I get 3 votes, and the winner gets 25, and the in-between got 13, well, I'm clever enough to figure where I stand, and what my pic was worth, but with the nice feeling that some people on here are supporting me in my effort :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

How about closing the thread after the week is up and opening a new Voting thread, with a poll? Leave that open for a week... I just think that the first couple of pictures will get the votes as people won't wait the full week. The way the original Challenges were run was brilliant but would require a bit of work from someone to set up!

thats a good idea. we could do that i suppose.

you must title the picture and the picture title can be used as the way we can vote.

i dont mind running the poll afterwards. maybe the assignmet winner can look after the poll to share the work?

Sounds fair. Also maybe rename the threads, something different to Assignment to avoid confusion - that way I think more people would get involved if they thought it was something different rather than a similar assignment - maybe "1 picture, 1 vote challenge"? I dunno, just thinking out loud...

The poll has opened on the new assignment thread if anyone want to cast their vote. only few entries for the first outing but i am sure their will be more the next time.

• Advertisement

thats a good idea. we could do that i suppose.

you must title the picture and the picture title can be used as the way we can vote.

i dont mind running the poll afterwards. maybe the assignmet winner can look after the poll to share the work?

How can the assignment winner help with the poll when we won't know who the winner is until the Poll is over?

Just on the subject of 2 'assignments/challenges' running side by side- I have to say I am pretty dubious overall.

If it can be made to work - there will have to be clear blue water between both concepts-as I would hate to see the ongoing success of the 'standard' assignments (in attracting new members and getting fine photos) derailed by confusion and division-with the possibility that both would flounder.

So in that effort to clearly differentiate could the new theme be technically oriented ?- while the long running successful assignments be aimed at more popular/mainstream topics/themes

Thus we would have the Existing 2 weekly 'Challenge' for all us ordinary punters.

and then maybe a second
    7 day 'Technical/Creative Assignment' for the Whiz Kids?

What I really think the site lacks is a thread called

The Friendly Camera Club
    where people could post their photos - not looking for thanks(meaningless) - but for advice on how to improve that photo/their overall approach
    etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yes please ! Yes please !

How can the assignment winner help with the poll when we won't know who the winner is until the Poll is over?

The winner of the last thread (as in the poster of the new topic) looks after the poll at the end me their own topic

The winner me the last thread as in the poster me the new topic looks after the poll cv the end me their own topic

Yeah. You wanna follow your saxophone till you reach the ‘Y’ Fronts
    and then Bob’s your teapot. Alright ice cream cone?

as its the first outing i think it has gone ok. But its by no means perfect. As someone suggested it needs a different name to avoid confusion. Although i think we exclude the novice photographer (me included ) if we make it too technical. But i like the idea me harder more defined topics. As long as it makes people think more about the idea, process, posting and voting it has been a success. I can see that the one vote has already had am effect on the choice of best picture already. but the concept is open to tweaking and i am sure in a few more assignenent we will have a good idea what we are doing.

• Advertisement

Yeah. You wanna follow your saxophone till you reach the ‘Y’ Fronts
    and then Bob’s your teapot. Alright ice cream cone?
    ha ha sorry trying to do this off my phone. Will clean it up in the morning when i get to a keyboard.

Just to place it on the record, in plain English -I am fundamentally against the concept of two assignments running side by side.
    (but would honour any committment to it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The Friendly Camera Club
    where people could post their photos - not looking for thanks(meaningless) - but for advice on how to improve that photo/their overall approach
    etc...

Now thats a great idea, maybe a sub forum that has the thanks button disabled therefore discouraging the thanks whores.

Just on the subject of 2 'assignments/challenges' running side by side- I have to say I am pretty dubious overall.

If it can be made to work - there will have to be clear blue water between both concepts-as I would hate to see the ongoing success of the 'standard' assignments (in attracting new members and getting fine photos) derailed by confusion and division-with the possibility that both would flounder.

So in that effort to clearly differentiate could the new theme be technically oriented ?- while the long running successful assignments be aimed at more popular/mainstream topics/themes

Thus we would have the Existing 2 weekly 'Challenge' for all us ordinary punters.

and then maybe a second
    7 day 'Technical/Creative Assignment' for the Whiz Kids?

The Friendly Camera Club
    etc

1.this friendy camera club aready exists in the main thread. you can always post your photo and ask for C&C. Its not a challenge. so should not be in this thread.

2. thanks is meaningless in a thread where you are looking for C&C. Thanks is a tool used in the assignments as a way of distinguishing a winner for the overall assignment.

3. there is a clear distinction in the 2 challenges in my opinion. especially now when a new topic is chosen.

4. your idea of making things technically difficult for the whiz kids is surely going against your initial thoughts of creating an elite thread. the other assignment is for photographers who want to make life a small bit difficult for themselves. Any one can enter it without having a massve skill base.

5 and its good that you will honour the commitment as it looks like you are going to win the assignment. ha ha.

6. This is the main point. if you dont want to enter it . you dont have to. i dont see why its a massive problem running 2 side by side. same idea different rules.

1.this friendy camera club aready exists in the main thread. you can always post your photo and ask for C&C. Its not a challenge. so should not be in this thread.

2. thanks is meaningless in a thread where you are looking for C&C. Thanks is a tool used in the assignments as a way of distinguishing a winner for the overall assignment.

3. there is a clear distinction in the 2 challenges in my opinion. especially now when a new topic is chosen.

4. your idea of making things technically difficult for the whiz kids is surely going against your initial thoughts of creating an elite thread. the other assignment is for photographers who want to make life a small bit difficult for themselves. Any one can enter it without having a massve skill base.

5 and its good that you will honour the commitment as it looks like you are going to win the assignment. ha ha.

6. This is the main point. if you dont want to enter it . you dont have to. i dont see why its a massive problem running 2 side by side. same idea different rules.

Although i know it was aimed at keps....

1. Yes you can use C&C in the main forum but i beleive a subforum or even a megathread would be a great place for people to come and post photos, because its a fairly daunting prospect posting a photo in the main section for c&c because although its great we have the amount of people there who know a lot if your not a pro and just a randomer with a camera (like me really) you could be put off posting there, IMO Random photo thread is a place for thanks whores i seldom post there now myself, even though its a random photo thread there is still a comp attitude (who gets more thanks ) to it saometimes. a thread with thanks disabled where people can come to share photos is a great idea

2. agreed but why do you still find loads of thanks in most of the C&C threads?

3. No there isnt, if your compairing the 2 running currently the rules are extremly siimilar, one is a glorified version of the origional one (no offence intended)

6. Very true, but the random person of the street will always enter the one with less rules and restrictions! after all the whole idea is to get people out taking photos.

• Advertisement

1. Yes you can use C&C in the main forum but i beleive a subforum or even a megathread would be a great place for people to come and post photos, because its a fairly daunting prospect posting a photo in the main section for c&c because although its great we have the amount of people there who know a lot if your not a pro and just a randomer with a camera (like me really) you could be put off posting there, IMO Random photo thread is a place for thanks whores i seldom post there now myself, even though its a random photo thread there is still a comp attitude (who gets more thanks ) to it saometimes. a thread with thanks disabled where people can come to share photos is a great idea

this has nothing to do with a set assignment. this is something totally different than an assignment.if you want to change the accessiblility of getting advice on photos so be it. but i dont think it has anything to do with assignments.

2. agreed but why do you still find loads of thanks in most of the C&C threads?

I dont know because people use it as a like button too i suppose ( again thanks in a C&C thread has nothing to do with the assignments)

3. No there isnt, if your compairing the 2 running currently the rules are extremly siimilar, one is a glorified version of the origional one (no offence intended)

The assignment is similar as in you can post a picture and get it voted on. but the rules are different as you can only post one picture and vote once. and this what makes it a different type of assignment. as in if you only get one shot at it you will make it your best shot as oppose to posting loads of pictures and hoping for the best

6. Very true, but the random person of the street will always enter the one with less rules and restrictions! after all the whole idea is to get people out taking photos.

I will say it again. you can enter it or not.Everyone is welcome. it is there for people who want the extra bit of challeneg. it would be diffrent if i wanted the other assignment taken away. but i dont. i am not restricting the taking of photos as the other assignment will remain open. i am making it slighlty harder so people think aboout what they are posting so they feel they are posting there best picture at the time. you can be a pure beginner or an expert it does not matter ( the same way it does not matter in the other assignments).

so basically the assignment is harder but not restrictive. i dont see how people think that you would not feel welcome in the assignment . its as hard to post anywhere on boards as it is here. Consider it like a computer game. you can choose your difficulty setting. this is merely addingg a new difficulty level to the game.

Listen Matron, im crabit this evening and going to tell you what i really think! Bottem line is we have a difference of opinion (as do most other people who take part in the assignments judging by the number of entrants in the 2 currently running assignment) i dont particularily like your ideas and where your going with your assignments but your free to do so as much as i am free to give my opinion on them.

Your talking about this not being the place to discuss this and that, but YOUR the one hijacking this thread as i suggested started this thread with the intention of it being used for talking about the assignments in rather than having the assignment threads full of discussions, so dont tell me this isnt the place to talk about things, as your the one being off topic from what i can make out !!!!

Listen Matron, im crabit this evening and going to tell you what i really think! Bottem line is we have a difference of opinion (as do most other people who take part in the assignments judging by the number of entrants in the 2 currently running assignment) i dont particularily like your ideas and where your going with your assignments but your free to do so as much as i am free to give my opinion on them.

Your talking about this not being the place to discuss this and that, but YOUR the one hijacking this thread as i suggested started this thread with the intention of it being used for talking about the assignments in rather than having the assignment threads full of discussions, so dont tell me this isnt the place to talk about things, as your the one being off topic from what i can make out !!!!

Well what can i say to that.............. "crabit" must mean temporarily insane where you come from. I am not being off topic in any of my posts in this thread.

i was trying to steer the it back on topic because yourself and keps were going on about a thread which was more accesible for C&C and neither one of you mentioned into making it an assignment.

and on the matter of hijacking , by hijacking do you mean posting relevant replies to questions and comments made by other posters about assignments? if so well then i hijacked the sh1t out of this thread.

to be honest homer if you have a problem with any of my posts or even if you think they are off topic in future dont bother telling me about your moods or how bad you think my ideas are just report the post and let a Mod decide.

hugs and kisses

Martron.

Well it seems to me that you are off topic, Martron, as this thread was not designed for somemone to set up a new Assignment.

It was set up so people could discuss issues arising out of the existing long running and successful assignment structure,

You basically highjacked it to promote your own idea rather than starting a new thread on the idea of a NEW assignment.

As well as that,in my opinion you have never really tried to bring people with you but have been somewhat confrontational and school-masterish in your approach.

I unfortunately entered your assignment having painted myself into a corner by saying ' that's a promise' in a moment of weakness.

However that promise fulfilled - I now wish to declare that I do not want my photo be considered as a possible winner.

I honestly could not face the prospect of having to set the theme for the next 'challenge'.

I have a genuine conflict here.

So Martron - could you remove photo 22 from the poll.

Thanks

keps

Well what can i say to that.............. "crabit" must mean temporarily insane where you come from. I am not being off topic in any of my posts in this thread.

i was trying to steer the it back on topic because yourself and keps were going on about a thread which was more accesible for C&C and neither one of you mentioned into making it an assignment.

and on the matter of hijacking , by hijacking do you mean posting relevant replies to questions and comments made by other posters about assignments? if so well then i hijacked the sh1t out of this thread.

to be honest homer if you have a problem with any of my posts or even if you think they are off topic in future dont bother telling me about your moods or how bad you think my ideas are just report the post and let a Mod decide.

hugs and kisses

Martron.

Keps hit the nail on the head you have been derailing the thread, your using this a a way to drum up support for your failed first new Challange (which is exactly the same as the current assignments apart from a 1 post 1 vote rule) they are noting like the challanges of old. I've already explained why the thread was made here and your using it for anything but that, looking through that has almost always been the case with your posts and they wern't when repling to people questions!

One final point for you to think about - the old challanges fading away, and were ignored by most, your tring to (or so you say) create something similar i think they should be left but if you incist on trying feel free.

P.S. the reason for me responding the way i did is as keps also pointed out (not often i agree twice with someone in the one post lol) you've been a tad overzelous at times and i am annoyed your using the thread, and yes in future after your response to this be reporting your publicity posts in here for your new assignment for being off topic.

handbags and hair pulling,

Homer!

Well it seems to me that you are off topic, Martron, as this thread was not designed for somemone to set up a new Assignment.

It was set up so people could discuss issues arising out of the existing long running and successful assignment structure,

You basically highjacked it to promote your own idea rather than starting a new thread on the idea of a NEW assignment.

As well as that,in my opinion you have never really tried to bring people with you but have been somewhat confrontational and school-masterish in your approach.

I unfortunately entered your assignment having painted myself into a corner by saying ' that's a promise' in a moment of weakness.

However that promise fulfilled - I now wish to declare that I do not want my photo be considered as a possible winner.

I honestly could not face the prospect of having to set the theme for the next 'challenge'.

I have a genuine conflict here.

So Martron - could you remove photo 22 from the poll.

Thanks

keps

well i was discussing an assignment in here. i did not consider it hijacking it as i felt i was talking about an assignment.

how do i bring people to it. i started a dialog on this thread to see peoples reactions and tried it as a prototype to see how it would go down. and then kept the dialog open being supportive of any suggestions as they came in.

i did not bully anyone into anything. we had a discussion on it in which you challenged me to enter the other assignment ( in which i did) in exchange for you to enter this one. i did not bully anyone.

look to be honest i am fed up with what goes on around here. i should be used to it to be honest. but i tried something new. and becasue of the bad press like yourself gave it , it went down like a sh1t sandwich at a sunday picnic.

everyone had the choice to enter it or not . as i always said and because you did not like the idea i dont think you gave anyone else a chance to respond. as you said yourself before how would a new member feel looking at an assignment that they want to enter and seeing a older member berating it they are hardly going to enter it.

anyway the photo clique has spoken. a mod can close it. but its unfortunate that it was not given a chance.

and its not on my part that it did not survive. its narrow mindness and fear of change that prevented it.

OK Martron - you made some good points there:)

I was just a bit unhappy with the ' turn' some of the recent exchanges here were taking.

Ok let's give it a good try.

If I win the assignment I will set a new challenge - and I will try to make it interesting.

So come on Sunday!

:):)

ok i am not going to continue with this tit for tat.
    i will admit i was frustrated that people were not willing to try that.

but we will get over that.

just one thing though
    technically i was not off topic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65382286&postcount=1
    ( as you can see from the first post(which i did) this thread was created to discuss assignment details............ surely thats what we were doing :D

ok

enough bullcrap. i apoligise for giving the other assignment the hard sell.

lets just get on with it now.

Martron

Ok, i've read back over 3 pages of postings now, and I have to admit I haven't a clue as to where we're at now with it.

Could someone do an impartial summary of it please?

although some people disagree with the idea of the 2 assignments.

some people are willing to give it a shot.

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah I'm in the same boat.

As far as I can see, there is some resistance to the new assignments for a number of reasons; it'll dilute the other assignments, it's going to confuse newer members, too similar to the existing ones etc etc.

There's call for the new assignments to be altered, some decent suggestions put forward, some I don't agree with.

However the thread then turned into a bit of a 3 way argument on various forum-related issues like the use of "thanks", C&C threads... and so on, which is miles off topic.

Overall, my opinion, is that the new assignments can work, however they are too similar - even in name to the existing assignment (and I'm not talking about the chosen topic). I honestly think that it will confuse new contributors to the forum if they see 2 "assignments" running side by side.

My suggestions would be;

Change the name of the new assignment to challenge.
    Extend the deadline from 1 week to 2 weeks and have an additional week for voting at the end, 3 weeks in total - possibly creating a new thread for the voting - managed by the winner of the last assignment and Matron/Keps/HS
    The rules are fine as they are imo.

It's an open forum and anyone can post an assignment, however I think we do need some consensus on what is likely to work, otherwise we could end up with everyone starting their own assignments willy nilly.

Is 2 assignments better than 1? In the end the community will decide if it will work.

Let's put it all behind us- as the Government, Bankers and Clergy say ...
    We are where we are:)

It looks like I am going to win the first venture in this new 'challenge'

I intend to give it every chance.

I am going to call the 'CHALLENGE' when it starts on MONDAY(just delaying it by one day) so as not to clash with the existing 'ASSIGNMENT'- and also to give people a weekend to take a suitable photo...

The One/One Challenge ( is that Ok Martron?)

That is One Photo and One Vote. I am not great at setting up polls - so I would ask for help on that.

I think One Week works much better with the One theme - and as well as that I have observed that entries to the existing 2 week Assignments basically die midway through the second week.

My idea would be to have The One/One Challenge a little bit more oriented towards the technical end of the 'market' (not too much so though)while allowing the existing Assignment to do what it does very well.

I hope all agree with the Monday start - as it will be my pleasure on Sunday to announce the winner of the 'Wheels' Assignment and to try to get the winner to hotfoot it to get an Assignment set on Sunday too.

But it will also give me great pleasure at 9pm on Monday to announce the exciting theme for The One/One Challenge

That was my 1000th post:D

Do you get a prize?

if ou do get a prize i am still waiting for mine.

thats sounds great Keps and sprinkles. we can tweak the rules as we go along.

the name change should avoid any confusion. i think we only need a week ( including a weekend ) for the assignment . then possibly one week for voting. then during that week you have time to enter the other assignment.

anyway lets see what happens .

Advertisement