Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man denies leak of Navy ship information

• 13-04-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

A member of the Irish Naval Service has gone on trial at a military court martial in Dublin on charges of disclosing information about ships at sea.

Able Seaman Eoin Gray, who is attached to the LÉ Orla, is also charged with conspiracy to aid people unknown to import cocaine between the 4 and 15 December 2008.

He is also charged with having cocaine in his possession and with having counterfeit hair straighteners.

He has pleaded not guilty to all five charges.

Link

Sounds pretty serious, specially the first part of Disclosing Information about ships at sea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my God, counterfeit hair straighteners, keel haul him. I noticed RTE mentioned the other charges but not the last.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Man denies leak of Navy ship information

:D

nobody else find this pun funny???

still on a serious note, he should get the heftiest sentence that they can load him with to discourage it in future.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

He's changed his plea now....

Acquitted of the 4 other charges, so maybe those hair straighteners were legit after all!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0413/graye.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

and its off to the curragh prison he goes for a bit!!!!

They should just execute him, saves money AND paperwork.... (",) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

gatecrash wrote: »
    He's changed his plea now....

Acquitted of the 4 other charges, so maybe those hair straighteners were legit after all!!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0413/graye.html

From the above article:
    The court heard has been in the Naval Service for five years and that he had been fined €0 for being absent without leave for five hours in May 2007.

What a fine!

Its true what they say about the navy...
    Able Seaman caught with eight hair straighteners...
    oooh sailor!! :D

The only reason infantry would be caught with hair straighteners would be if they had ran out of ammo while holed up in peter marks and had sharpened the nearest everyday items into killing implements to continue the fight :D

Could be he had hidden the cocaine in the straighteners?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0414/1224268305942.html

so he's pleaded not guilty to all charges EXCEPT the one of disclosing the whereabouts of the ship.... im confused.com now.... was he found in posession of cocaine or not!? was he found to be trying to import it or not? whats going on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

The report says he passed the information on to his girlfriend. While a serious issue, it may actually be as simple as that, and not a case of him passing info on to drug smugglers. That said, I know nothing more of the case.

But why would they charge him with possession of the drug and then drop that charge? was it that he was charged on suspicion of posession or that he was found covered in white powder sitting on the ceiling of his cabin?

Either way he has been portrayed in a manner in the public papers that probably doesnt bode well for his future in the armed forces.

• Advertisement

Absolutely no idea about the hair straighteners. As for the cocaine, if it was a significant amount I reckon he'd have been charged under the relevant Act, unless the Gardaí are going to do so after the NS are finished. I suspect is was a small amount for personal use but this in itself could warrant dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

concussion wrote: »
    Absolutely no idea about the hair straighteners. As for the cocaine, if it was a significant amount I reckon he'd have been charged under the relevant Act, unless the Gardaí are going to do so after the NS are finished. I suspect is was a small amount for personal use but this in itself could warrant dismissal.

I dont think there'd be any "could" about it, with CRDT now surely he'd be out on his arse?

It depends, we had a talk from the BPOSS in the brugha last week and apparently sometimes, based on his record etc, they can recommend that he attend rehab, remain clean for the next x months/years - with compulsory tests every so often in that period AS WELL AS still being subject to CRDT.... it could very well be the nail in his coffin regarding promotions beyond a certain rank though.

CRDT involves the detection of drugs which have been actually been administered which would be different to simply being in possesion of drugs. I'm more informed on the regulations regarding positive drugs tests that I am for possession so the 'could' is in there. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

OK....I understand journalists probably aren't the most up to speed with the military but ffs these guys just don't have a clue:

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/three-months-jail-for-navy-officer-2137959.html

"A naval officer has been sentenced...." then the next paragraph "Able Seaman..."

From the Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0414/1224268305942.html

"Able Seaman Gray had been accepted as a Naval cadet in June 2006 for five years of service in the Permanent Defence Forces"

Talk about lazy!!! I'm looking forward to reading their next article about how Tanaiste Enda Kenny will be meeting with Gary Adams to discuss whether drinking should be allowed inspite of the Good Friday agreement!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.newstalk.ie/news/news-headlines/navy-seamen-jailed-for-three-months-for-texting-ship-locations/

When he gets out of military jail he'll find it impossible to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mikeym wrote: »
    http://www.newstalk.ie/news/news-headlines/navy-seamen-jailed-for-three-months-for-texting-ship-locations/

When he gets out of military jail he'll find it impossible to get a job.

No it won't.

No it won't.
    how do ya know this makikomi??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

how do ya know this makikomi??

I know lads who've been chucked out before and are working.

You won't get into any kind of public service job, and you won't get a visa to travel for work. Plus having a dishonourable discharge is a horrible thing recorded, it'll follow the person around for the rest of their life.

But people with criminal records still find work.

One lad I knew, I still see him out and about driving his taxi!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I have no knowledge of the Military but as a civillian i read todays report in the paper and thought..."no f**in around there!!" ! In Irish criminal terms that seems a hefty sentence. I would presume it's a relation to treason?

Although i am confused over how he could be charged with such serious crimes as aiding cocaine trafficing and have them dropped like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I know lads who've been chucked out before and are working.

You won't get into any kind of public service job, and you won't get a visa to travel for work. Plus having a dishonourable discharge is a horrible thing recorded, it'll follow the person around for the rest of their life.

But people with criminal records still find work.

One lad I knew, I still see him out and about driving his taxi!.

Hes gething kicked out once hes finished jail so that means hes being dishonourabley discharged.

ah i see makikomi !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Although i am confused over how he could be charged with such serious crimes as aiding cocaine trafficing and have them dropped like that.

Having not read the case I would assume that he has had no contact with traffickers,thus making it near impossible to prove he was aiding such people. Not worth your while unless you have some concrete evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I know one guy, on old friend of mine but I don't talk to him much these days...

Anyway, he's in the army for the past 4/5 years I reckon but during his time serving he was caught drink driving and banned off the road for 2 years, and he also failed a drug test in the army, I think coke was found in his system...

The fact that he's still serving to this day pisses me off as I (don't even drink or smoke) would jump at the chance to join up...

Does anyone else find this a bit ridiculous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I know one guy, on old friend of mine but I don't talk to him much these days...

Anyway, he's in the army for the past 4/5 years I reckon but during his time serving he was caught drink driving and banned off the road for 2 years, and he also failed a drug test in the army, I think coke was found in his system...

The fact that he's still serving to this day pisses me off as I (don't even drink or smoke) would jump at the chance to join up...

Does anyone else find this a bit ridiculous?

Do people in normal jobs usually lose their jobs if they lose their licence?

He could have easily appealed the drug test and won the appeal.

Also, keep in mind that he would probably be nearing the end of his first contract so while he is still serving, the above cases you mentioned will be held against him when it comes to signing back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Poccington wrote: »
    Do people in normal jobs usually lose their jobs if they lose their licence?

He could have easily appealed the drug test and won the appeal.

Also, keep in mind that he would probably be nearing the end of his first contract so while he is still serving, the above cases you mentioned will be held against him when it comes to signing back on.

Well its a public service job and drink driving is breaking the law which doesn't set a good example for the public, what happens to a guard if he/she is caught drink driving do you know?

I think they should be fu*ked out for breaching any kind of law in my opinion..

Never thought about the contract, as far as I know he was told he'll never go overseas again and I don't think he's even allowed to handle a weapon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

But then what if someone was caught speeding or something like that? Do you still reckon they should be thrown out of the job? There is a lot of variables to take into account.

Advertisement