Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makig pork chops interesting

Options
  • 13-04-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

I made chops with caramelised apple and sweet potato wedges for dinner last night - much better than the usual potatoes and veg. Here's the (pretty simple) recipe for two:

Chops:
    2 x pork chops
    Olive oil
    Knob butter
    Salt and pepper

Warmed the oil in a pan on high heat. Seasoned the meat on both sides before putting into the hot oil. After a few minutes, when the first side of the meat was almost cooked a put a knob of butter in to colour them. Turned and cooked other side

Caramelised apple:
    1.5 red/green apples peeled and sliced
    Brown sugar (about 2 tablespoons but enough to cover the apple slices)
    Knob butter

Melted the butter in a pan on medium heat. Poured the sugar onto the apple slices in a bowl and mixed to cover all sides. Put the sugared apple slices into the pan and cooked for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally to get all sides to a dark brown, caramelised finish

Sweet potato wedges:
    2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
    Olive oil
    Dried chili flakes (about a heaped teaspoon)
    Thyme leaves (about a heaped teaspoon)
    Salt and pepper

Preheated the oven to 200C, put the wedges spread out on a baking tray, drizzled in oil and sprinkled all the other stuff on it evenly. Mixed the wedges around roughly to try to get all of them coated in oil and seasoning stuff. Cooked for 30 minutes.

Had all this with some frozen peas too. It was pretty good and a simple way to make pork chops a bit more exciting. What do other people do to theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This has to be one of the tastiest things I've done on the BBQ. But you need a little bit of forward planning. It's a German thing, called 'Western steaks' or 'Schwenkbraten'. It's very easy, just need to get it sorted in advance as they need to marinade for at least 24 hours.

Trim the fat and bash out your chops. Add them into a bowl with
    1 cup oil
    4/5 onions, cut into strips
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    7 crushed juniper berries
    1 tablespoon German mustard
    1 tablespoon thyme, oregano, curry powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper, garlic powder & onion powder (well everything really!)

Mix the spices with the oil - season the meat with this. Kinda mash/bash the onions until they're broken and they leech out juice. Layer the seasoned meat with the onions and leave in the fridge for at least a day. I did 2 days. You can do this in a large ziplock bag, or a large bowl.

Then BBQ and serve with crusty rolls, curry ketchup and mustard. I made curry ketchup by getting really crappy cheapo ketchup and mixing it with curry powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Waiting for the apple trees to fruit in the mean time on the look out for appley based recipes and that pork one sounds yum! Deff. going to try it prob sooner than the apples appear lol.

I'm partial to pork chops with paprika just love the two flavours, just smearing the chops with olive oil or garlic oil and paprika and letting it marinade a while.

Freezer bags are great for marinading them, you can just throw everything in and mix it about and chuck it in the fridge and shake it now and then.

There's a recipe for wholegrain mustard pork in the Avoca1 book which is gorgeous it uses pork fillet but would work with pork chops I rekon.
    The apple juice in it makes it nummy but has to be good quality apple juice, I tried it with cheaper stuff and it wasn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

On an episode of Taste before, I saw Gino D'Acampo make pork chops with maple syrup. Can't remember exactly but he may also have had some spices or else peppercorns on them too.
    Anyways they looked delicious!

Found it!
    Recipe for 4 large pork chops:
    http://www.skyone.co.uk/programme/pgefeature.aspx?pid=57&fid=399

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I like Terayki Pork Chops. Just buy a bottle of the kikkoman stuff and marinade the for a long time if possible before baking or grilling. Eat with noodles etc.

Also make a nice BBQ marinade.

Advertisement