Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuji HS10

• 13-04-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Seen this camera and it looks fantastic. Been trying to get my hands on one. Does anyone know who has these in stock in a retail store so i can see if it feels ok before i buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

brushedsun wrote: »
    Hi,

Seen this camera and it looks fantastic. Been trying to get my hands on one. Does anyone know who has these in stock in a retail store so i can see if it feels ok before i buy?

This is a brand new model. I haven't seen any proper hands-on reviews on any of the independent review sites yet. If you are really desperate, you can get one from HK on eBay for only €426 and you are also likely to get hit with VAT/duty. Probably with the wrong power cord and manuals and questionable warranty status.....

I would wait for while. See some independent reviews and sample images. The price is also likely to drop sharply once they are more widely available. I like Fuji bridge cameras, but I wouldn't pay DSLR prices for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 brushedsun

HBR,

The camera came out on general EU release on April 12. most online etailers have it in stock

I suppose it is a matter of preference between bridge and full slr. This camera comes with a 30x optical zoom and the prices for lenses to cover this scope on a SLR would be many times this price.

I have used the Fuji s9600 for 18 months and been delighted with the results.

When i get my hands on the HS10 ill let you know how it is.:)

HBR,
    The camera came out on general EU release on April 12. most online etailers have it in stock

I wouldn't say most.
    Pixmania expect to have stock on the 29th
    The likes of Dabs & Elara don't seem to even list it yet. There has been a fair bit of hype about the HS10/11 because of it's 30x zoom range. I expect that demand for them will be quite high, so the first batch will sell very quickly.
    I suppose it is a matter of preference between bridge and full slr. This camera comes with a 30x optical zoom and the prices for lenses to cover this scope on a SLR would be many times this price.

I agree, I'm on my 3rd bridge camera.
    I have used the Fuji s9600 for 18 months and been delighted with the results.

Well outside my price range. I had the humble S5600 which served me very well.

I look forward to your report and pictures. Some HS10 images are starting to appear on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Fujifilm+HS10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

hbr wrote: »
    Well outside my price range. I had the humble S5600 which served me very well.

Had an s5000 for four years. Wonderful camera. Now have a 40D with a 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens. The Fuji gives it a run for it any day....until you zoom on the image.;)

But still a wonderful camera.

Here's two. The first from the s5000 in 2006 and the second from the 40D and the 17-55 lens in 2009. The detail in the second is, understandably, quite better.

2318489420_39d23336f2.jpg

3939587455_b26c53b0f1.jpg

There is a fairly positive review here:
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_hs10_review/

• Advertisement

Yeah seems to be a really good camera, just cant wait to get my hands on it........... Damn Volvano!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I used a fuji bridge for a year. It had 12x optical, sure, but the further you zoomed in, the lesser the quality. I'd rather a dslr with a 4 x range zoom [18 - 75mm or whatever], that images from could be well cropped down and still be better quality then the average bridge cam on full zoom.

But, it does look a nice camera, if you're not into changing lenses, or looking to upgrade at any time, nice one.

Like someone said though, I wouldn't pay dslr prices for a bridge, no matter how nice the zoom on it is. HDR video wouldn't turn me either.

What fuji bridge were you using with 12x zoom? I have nto say i have not noticed any major degregation when only using the optical zoom on my 10x fuji

Finepix s1000fd. Great little camera, can't fault it for what it is - a basic 'super zoom' compact with some manual controls. I learned the basics of manual controls on it, but after a few months found it too restricted and started looking towards cheap dslrs.

There is definitely a drop off in quality at the longer range of zoom, images are nice and clear - though washy and soft - at normal range. Post processing was always a must I found. But on full zoom there was definite pixelation issues, sometimes I wondered was it true optical or a little digital thrown in there at the longer end [I always had digital zoom off]

I found zoomed images when blown up to 100% on the pc looked horrible tbh, whereas images from the dslr - I love viewing full size, bit of a novelty to see the clean sharpness maybe after coming from a bridge cam. But don't be fooled, the difference in IQ between bridges and dslr is blatantly obvious when directly compared. I've done my own testers with my 2 cameras.

Thecageyone, i would agree with you that the s1000fd would not stand up anywhere near a Dslr and at £140 i dont think you would expect it to. the s9600 was a lot better but still not up to a decent level SLR. Lets see how the new one does.

What camera are you using at the moment?

• Advertisement

Everything in my streams on both flickr and pix.ie, from Paddy's day back, was taken with the fuji s1000fd. Cheap as chips and did a not-so-bad job, images always required heavy processing though.

I'm not using a Sony A200, just the 2 lenses - 18-70mm and 50mm f/1.7

Apart from image quality improvement I love things like Bulb mode for long exposures, much greater range of aperture settings, better ISO handling at higher levels [though not amazing, I would never go over ISO 200 on the fuji, I'm grand with 800 on the sony]

The new fuji will most definitely be a step up from what I had, but it's still a bridge at end of the day. I wonder how limited it is re: aperture/exposure/ISO

Advertisement