Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Classical Guitarist seeks advice

Options
  • 13-04-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi folks, i just joined boards.ie today to get some advice on learning classical guitar.I am an experienced player of electric rock and blues for many years, but i was the typical guitarist who athough had a fairly good understanding of music theory at least at a fundamental level i couldnt read music at all. this always bugged me and coupled with a desire to learn classical guitar because i was always drawn to the beauty of the music.

i decided to get lessons. i started last september and my teacher is very good, i am now up to grade 3 trinity level which i am delighted with. i want to get to grade 8 level and at a rapid pace, just a personal ambition i have. I am really enjoying the pieces i ve learnt so far. I dont have anyone to talk to about classical guitar though and what pieces are good in the trinity etc. i do like the 16th pieces and the classical, and romantic period and haunting pieces. Anyway any advice would be welcome on, good pieces to learn, websites, daily practice schedules etc. Just general chat and banter about the subject. thanks folks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

As a rule they say it's better to practise a little every day rather than large blocks of time. Also you might as well get used to the footstool posture cause it's compulsory for Trinity exams.
    I say pick the pieces you like best so that you can keep them in your repertoire after you finish the exam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

thanks jane for the good advice, i usually try to do at least an hour today, sometimes 3 or 4 at a time if i am really getting into learning a piece. i'm going to get the triniity intial to grade 5 cd to listen to all the pieces. i have a footstool but never use it so i think i better get used to that. i want to sit my grade 5 exam maybe after the summer. one of the pieces i am learning now is Landler on grade 3, lovely piece and i just learned de Murcia Mineut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

Im currently having trouble with the piece Japanese Water Gardens. It seems to go on forever after the middle section? Does anyone else find this? Learning classical guitar is hard work, but above poster is right, a little a day does help. I dont play in the footstool position all the time, and my thumb position is always too high up.I think its just practice that makes you get the hang of it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

dont know thay piece myself, i am doing trinity. i am starting grade 5 pieces now and classical guitar is so hard work learning every bar of music is a challenge. i am learning el negrito by lauro now and its tricky, havent decided what the other 2 pieces i will learn, maybe a renaissance piece, and something else that is different. i want to cover a few styles. although i am up to grade 5 i still have to fill in holes with learning all the scales and arpeggios and technical exercises from the previous grades. my goal is to get onto grade 6 by september or that

Advertisement