Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice

Options
  • 13-04-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am selling my rifle and I have had some people interested. What I would like to know is how do people go about selling their guns? Where do you meet the people whom are interested in the gun? How long does the process normally take (.22lr)? My licence is up soon enough, would I have to renew it if I am selling my gun?

Any other advice?

I plan on meeting somebody this week, I have asked him to bring his gun license (shotgun), I have also left the bolt in the safe. I can't think of anything else really. I don't have a case for travelling with the gun. I don't have a trigger lock either (misplaced). I am trying to be as cautious as possible, within reason. Taking into account that I do not want to meet people at my home, where would one meet to view a gun? I am thinking of asking a gunsmith, if there is one in the area.

Thanks.

*edit*

I also misplaced the letter which I got from the Gardai last summer, my license was extended. It was originally up for renewal in August 2009. I have my license from 2008. Should I let the Gardai know I have misplaced this letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My advice is sell it through a dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

My advice is sell it through a dealer.

Ok, is that for safety reasons or other? Are dealers expensive? Would you have an estimate or guesstimate?

Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

For safety reasons namely yours.

I would advise against meeting anyone in relation to a firearms sale that you don't know.

Dealers will want a "fee" but most are reasonable to deal with tbh. A % of the sale price would be the way I'd do it say 10%. Small price to pay to ensure your identity remains unknown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What I would like to know is how do people go about selling their guns?

The process for buying/selling a gun privately is almost the same as from a dealer. The person (buyer) still must apply for a license and have it before you (seller) can hand over the firearm. In section 3.3 of the FCA1 (source of firearm) the buyer would insert your certificate details as opposed to the dealers. Once the deal is done and the person has aquired their license the should leave a copy aswell as showing you the original. You provide them with a receipt for the firearm and use an FCA2 to cancel the license or an FCA1 to transfer to a new firearm (if that is the case).
    Where do you meet the people whom are interested in the gun? How long does the process normally take (.22lr)?

The advice from bunny shooter is good. Try avoid meeting someone you dont' know in any location especially one picked by that person. The process has the same time frame as a normal application unless its a substitution (as in the buyer is transferring an existing .22 license to your firearm).
    My licence is up soon enough, would I have to renew it if I am selling my gun?

No. Unless you intend to license another .22lr.
    Any other advice?.............. where would one meet to view a gun? I am thinking of asking a gunsmith, if there is one in the area.

A dealers shop would be ideal. If you know of one that you could use as a meeting place (assuming you had a good report with the dealer). Other options (for viewing only) would be your local club. By that i mean in a place you feel safe, secure and are possibly around others you know well.
    I also misplaced the letter which I got from the Gardai last summer, my license was extended. It was originally up for renewal in August 2009. I have my license from 2008. Should I let the Gardai know I have misplaced this letter?

If you do not intend to renew your license i see no need to do anything other than cancel the existing license with an FCA2.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement