Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paralysis of dogs hind paws

Options
  • 13-04-2010 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

HI all, was just wondering if anyone has experienced a dog who out of the blue has been struck by paralysis of the hind legs.
    My Aunts dog literally keeled over on Sunday and his legs have failed him since.
    He has been to the vet but nothing showed and basically they are giving him a couple of days on medication and if no improvement then he will be put to sleep.

I know the vet is the correct course of action but just wondering if anyone has any experience.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could be a slipped disc in the spine, did the vet check for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Yes, I believe so and nothing showed.
    The dog actually bit my Aunt this morning when she was moving him so he now must be in pain.
    I don't think it's looking too bright for the little fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

what breed of dog is it. same thing happened to a friends bichon frise not so long back and he was eventually put to sleep. the vet said at the time that it sometimes happens to that particular breed.

He's a six year old Jack Russell.
    It is quite pityfull to see him at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is the dog young or old? It's not uncommon for older dogs to experience strokes or other neurological problems which can result in temporary paralysis, but if he's in pain this indicates that it's probably localised.

Slipped/ruptured disc would have been my first guess too. Hard to say obviously without anyone seeing the dog.

I would strongly advise getting second and third opinions though before having the dog PTS. What kind of scans did the vet perform?

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure what was performed with the exception of an xray.
    We were thinking maybe a stroke but the dog is very alert and only today show's signs of discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

Millie wrote: »
    He's a six year old Jack Russell.
    It is quite pityfull to see him at the moment.

can only imagine how upsetting it is to see him like he is. have had a good few jack russells myself over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Sounds rather like a stroke. He might have bitten your aunt because he was frightened rather than in pain. Fingers crossed the little fellow will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tick bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Tick bite?
    can a tick bite cause that
    maybe the dog just hurt himself,i would give him time and painkillers a warm bed,
    he is young
    mine is nearly 15 and is doing fine a bit stiff in the hind legs, since this happened overnight, i would say it just hurt itself and will heal
    painkillers are important, antiinflammetories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »
    can a tick bite cause that
    maybe the dog just hurt himself,i would give him time and painkillers a warm bed,
    he is young
    mine is nearly 15 and is doing fine a bit stiff in the hind legs, since this happened overnight, i would say it just hurt itself and will heal
    painkillers are important, antiinflammetories

Agree with this totally.

Our wee JRT cross once hurtled down concrete steps and was in agony for a couple of days. We wrapped her up with a hwb etc and made sure she drank, even with a dropper, and let her rest. Which she was happy to do.

That was her back end too then.

At that time we were too far away from a vet to seek that help. And it ws probably wiser than moving her in and out of the car etc also.

She was fine after a couple of days.

Animals are more sensible than we are. They show pain and admit to it. Can be so scary.

Please, give the dog time; it sounds like an injury. And yes, in pain a dog will nip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

millie
    how is the dog coming along
    do let us know

Advertisement