Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding old RAM

Options
  • 13-04-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have a situation where I have an old computer sitting here with what i assume is 2gb of ram. My current computer also has 2gb but I was wondering can I just slot in the 2 from the old computer to make 4gb?

I'm aware 32 bit OS can only use 3gb but if I step up to 64-bit will I need a really fast processor? My current one is 2.2ghz.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Depends on the spec of the motherboards if they are the same type then yes, if different speed but same DDR type then yes (chipset dependent of course) and of course if different DDR type then not at all.

Post the specs of both machines inc motherboard if you have it and we can tell you better.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ok thanks, I'll have to set up the old computer to get the specs etc. then i'll post

Grand.

On the processor front, nah that one would be grand

Hey it seems the older computer's ram must have been DDR1 or something coz it wouldn't fit into the MSI motherboard ram slots. So I assume what I have is DDR2 which i can get for a decent price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

www.crucial.com

You can use the scan tool to figure out what RAM is compatible with your rig. Handy site.

• Advertisement

and on a slightly similar note, i've googled but havent found great results:

why is kingston ram cheaper than corsair ram when they are both say 1gb? is it reputation?
    is it performance? if the latter, is it noticeably different?

www.memoryc.com these guys are in Celbridge and will be the place to get your RAM

Ok i just recieved 2 sticks of 1gb kingston ddr2 which i added to my original Corsair ddr2's.
    So 4 x 1gb sticks.

What I want to know is, with a dram frequency of 333mhz (i still amn't quite sure what that means) is something wrong? Is that bad for running say a 64-bit version of Windows 7? Would 2gb of 400mhz dram freq be better than 4gb of 333dram freq?

:confused:

If the motherboard is only rated to 333MHz on the chipset then that's it, but if its rated to 400MHz then you either have some 333MHz RAM in there and so the other sticks are stepping down to 333MHz or there is a jumper or bios setting set to reduce the speed of the bus.

What is the motherboard model number?

MC

MSI-7380?

• Advertisement

As I said, the 2 kingstons are 333mhz, while the original corsairs are 400mhz. Is there a way to arrange it differently or does it all just have to run at 333mhz?

And again, how will this sort of speed in the RAM affect me? From a developer standpoint, with lots of applications (photoshop etc) going... will it make a difference? or will it just be games that are affected?

Thanks for the help btw

From here

- Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800+, using four 240-pin/1.8V DDR2 DIMMs
    - Supports the memory size up to 8GB

Yes it has to run at 333MHz as you have some of that spec RAM in there, if you replace it with all the same they will then run as matched pairs. TBH I doubt you'd notice the difference as it is quite negligible

Ok so I put in the 4gb of RAM. Everyone says Vista 32-bit only shows up to about 3.5gb but for me it shows 4??

It has been programmed to show the 4GB but can only access 3.25 Gb due to addressing space with 32bit systems

MC

Ok so I put in the 4gb of RAM. Everyone says Vista 32-bit only shows up to about 3.5gb but for me it shows 4??

If you go into the System Information tool it will show "Installed Physical Memory" which will show 4GB, but underneath that is a "Total Physical Memory" value which will show you what Windows can use after the PCI hole is deducted.

Aaaaah I see :) so with windows 7 64-bit tomorrow it will be 4gb total physical memory?

Aaaaah I see :) so with windows 7 64-bit tomorrow it will be 4gb total physical memory?

The chipset needs to support remapping the "lost" memory over the PCI hole but most 64-bit capable chipsets will.

Advertisement