Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital S for society?

• 13-04-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Could someone please explain to me whether or not society should take a capital S in this sentence;

As a whole the collection points to the ongoing tension between society's desire to control sexuality and people's need to express it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You would generally be right in either instance. "Society" in that context could be taken to refer to a unique entity and would therefore be deserving of a capital letter.

You could remove any ambiguity by putting "a" before society. This would change the meaning so that it refers to any generic society and therefore it takes a lowercase s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Society with a capital S would be a proper noun, a noun "representing unique entities". I would use the capital S myself, because the use of society in that sentence has an all-encompassing feel to it, as opposed to being "any given society".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

That's the question isn't it; can society be classed as a proper noun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

What about reality? Is reality a place? And so get's a capital?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

The capitalization is also frequently used in matters relating to Planning Applications, such as 'Protected Structures', 'Enforcement Notices', 'Environmental Impact Statements' etc. I presume that this may be to note that they are specific, legally established items of importance.

Advertisement