Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sun spots on photos?

• 13-04-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

hi all, this is one of my first posts in the main phootgraphy section i use the assignment section and post sometimes in the random photo thread but nere on here.

I have a few questions to ask and id appreciate all suggestions, my main reason for buying the camera (in nevember, so still new to it) was sport, although i have found myself taking landscape photos pretty much on a weekly basis, i find it very difficult to take photos into strong sunlight , i always end up with what can be called sunspots in the picture, and sometimes i even get a strang ghosting effect from the sun/moon i do use a UV filter but i duno how good it was, is there any way to avoid this apart from changing my timing from morning to evening and vise versa, as most of my photos are spur of the moment photos while out for a run in the car. Now the other thing is i have found i get the same effect while taking pictures of the moon! anyone any ideas??

I have included a few examples of my photos to show you what i mean....

Lake1.jpg

moon%20c%2Bc.jpg

IMG_0001.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

do you have a UV filter on your lens if so removing it might solve the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A good lens hood will stop this. Not always possible with a uw lens though.

When shooting towards strong light, it might not be possible to avoid them though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a lens hood won't stop the flare if the sun is in the frame.

True, but it would remove the flare from shot #1 above.

The others ... not much you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

You'd usually find that flare is produced in different quantities form one lens to the next. The 50mm 1.4 dosn't seem handle it too well. But that's ok, I like flare sometimes. If i want flare, I pick up that lense. :) I bought a hood for it and it works for most stuff. On the other hand, the 60mm 2.8 handles it really well IMO. It's swings and round abouts really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

trishw78 wrote: »
    do you have a UV filter on your lens if so removing it might solve the problem

I thought the UV filter was there to stop the UV lights damaging the lense so always used it when shotting into light (well it on all the time anyways to protect the lense), i'll deffinently give that a go thanks.
    oshead wrote:
    You'd usually find that flare is produced in different quantities form one lens to the next. The 50mm 1.4 dosn't seem handle it too well. But that's ok, I like flare sometimes. If i want flare, I pick up that lense. smile.gif I bought a hood for it and it works for most stuff. On the other hand, the 60mm 2.8 handles it really well IMO. It's swings and round abouts really.
    Well im still using the standard lense kit yet, i'm saving up the pennies to buy a decent lense im figuring that there isnt much point getting a lense that i will be wanting to replace in 6months time,
    Paulw wrote:
    A good lens hood will stop this. Not always possible with a uw lens though.

When shooting towards strong light, it might not be possible to avoid them though.
    So a lense hood should stop the flare in most cases, i must put that on my ever growing to buy list :o

Keep the suggestions comming, and what lense would you reccommend? (might as well sneek this in here too instead of asking i a month or so's time when im buying) as good a lense as possable for as little money as possable :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I thought the UV filter was there to stop the UV lights damaging the lense so always used it when shotting into light (well it on all the time anyways to protect the lense), i'll deffinently give that a go thanks.

its used to reduce haziness or fogginess created by ultraviolet light, not to stop damage. the clearance between the filter and the lens is refracting the light causing the spots...me thinks...

A UV filter should have no impact on your photos. The sensor already has a UV protector, so your camera doesn't really need a UV filter at all. It is useful for protecting the front glass element though.
    So a lense hood should stop the flare in most cases, i must put that on my ever growing to buy list :o

A lens hood protects from stray light spilling across the glass element in the lens. It should only allow you to capture light within the frame. So, it can be useful to block massive glare across the lens, and stop light spots.

Of course, if you shoot with harsh light sources within the frame, then there is very little that can be done to stop light spots.

its used to reduce haziness or fogginess created by ultraviolet light, not to stop damage. the clearance between the filter and the lens is refracting the light causing the spots...me thinks...

But, since most lenses have a number of elements, the lens itself can be causing the spots. ;) It might have nothing to do with filters.

Don't you mean reflecting the light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

oshead wrote: »
    Don't you mean reflecting the light?

I'm pretty sure he meant refracted.

charybdis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he meant refracted.

Yeah, well I'm pretty sure reflection causes lense flare. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dammit i can't even edit it cos you all quoted it...

And you a mod an all that. OK, I've undone the quote. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A hood is absolutely irrelevant unless the light source is out of frame. Once the sun is in the shot the hood does absolutely nothing.

Your problem is almost certainly caused by light bouncing between your UV filter and the front of the lens, taking that off should do the job. UV filters are used for two reasons: 1, to provide a layer of protection to the front of the lens, and 2, to prevent the sky from burning out and not rendering correctly. 2 isn't an issue for most cameras. Eitherway, the light itself is no danger.

Advertisement