Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering seed trays

Options
  • 13-04-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how often seed trays should be watered when in a heated propagator? Initially they were watered from the bottom up by standing in a trough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

You should be giving them a little water often. There is not a lot os soil/compost in a seed tray and they can dry out very quickly.
    A little each day in the morning should be good enough but keep an eye on the seedlings to make sure there is no wilting or leaf curling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanos wrote: »
    You should be giving them a little water often. There is not a lot os soil/compost in a seed tray and they can dry out very quickly.
    A little each day in the morning should be good enough but keep an eye on the seedlings to make sure there is no wilting or leaf curling.
    i bought lavender seeds, they seem to be coming nicely, i put them in a good size flowerpot and put a glass bowl upside down over pot to act as a greenhouse, my problem is they are all up, when do i pot them on individually, or will i wreck the lot
    i intend to make my own lavender sacks and oil, as what we buy in store is very dear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

goat2 wrote: »
    i bought lavender seeds, they seem to be coming nicely, i put them in a good size flowerpot and put a glass bowl upside down over pot to act as a greenhouse, my problem is they are all up, when do i pot them on individually, or will i wreck the lot
    i intend to make my own lavender sacks and oil, as what we buy in store is very dear

I think once the seedlings are up you can take the cover, in your case the bowl off and start to harden them off ie., bring them outdoors during the day and in at night so that they become acclimatised to the outdoor temperature that's if you have them indoors. I haven't grown lavender so don't know about potting them on.

Just make sure there's plenty of air circulating as all my lovely broad beans, 3 types of peas, couple of tomatoes and a few other seedlings were wiped out from damping off over the weekend. I put them in the greenhouse and didn't leave the door open so I'm starting afresh today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need to put them in a bright place without the bowl to develop and grow on without getting spindly. Wait until at least two real leaves have formed after the seed leaves before you pot them on. You need to keep the compost moist, when you remove the bowl it will dry out quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

looksee wrote: »
    You need to put them in a bright place without the bowl to develop and grow on without getting spindly. Wait until at least two real leaves have formed after the seed leaves before you pot them on. You need to keep the compost moist, when you remove the bowl it will dry out quite quickly.
    thank you
    i do nor did not have them inside, but i do take the bowl off during the day, so fingers crossed they will succeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement