Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie/Sian in Coronation St

Options
  • 13-04-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

just wondering what others think of the lesbian storyline here. I like it and think it's time for a lesbian in Coronation St. Like the charachter Sophie.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thought it was a bit stupid - It was very sudden and there was no lead upto the story. The Aaron story in Emmerdale is much better in my opinion

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mccarn22

id have to agree... it was like pow!!! sophie is a lesbian.... the Aaron storyline is far more realistic and more relatable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'm not familiar with any soap other than Coronation St and to a lesser extent Fair City......Heard a while back that the Street was to have a lesbian charachter, didn't expect it to be her.......Oh do I remember a Gay Muslim during a flick through Eastenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Who is Sophie?

Anything has to be better than the "lesbian" policewoman storyline in Home & Away.

Also, Aaron is hawt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mccarn22 wrote: »
    id have to agree... it was like pow!!! sophie is a lesbian.... the Aaron storyline is far more realistic and more relatable...

One kiss and she's a lesbian :eek: i thought that rule only applied to guys ;)

One kiss and she's a lesbian :eek: i thought that rule only applied to guys ;)

You thought that guys only became lesbians after 1 kiss?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    You thought that guys only became lesbians after 1 kiss?

I knew you'd read it like that, but seen as i'm king of the one liners i'll let it pass :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, Surfie has been showing lesbo potential for a while now. She's easily the brightest person in the Webster household and gets some cracking one liners. I don't know how she sticks the rest of them, especially the odious Rursie.

not that I watch it of course, I hear things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I haven't been keeping an eye on it, but it can't be much worse than the Yvonne/Connie one in Fair City. Its actually painful to watch. Not to mention it doesn't even make sense, how can they get married?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Not to mention it doesn't even make sense, how can they get married?

I'm presuming some sort of commitment ceremony!

Anyway, a lot of teenage girls experiment with their friends. It's a away to explore but in a safe space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

spurious wrote: »
    In fairness, Surfie has been showing lesbo potential for a while now. She's easily the brightest person in the Webster household and gets some cracking one liners. I don't know how she sticks the rest of them, especially the odious Rursie.

not that I watch it of course, I hear things
    What has either of those got to do with being a lesbian ?

P.S Does anyone else find it weird that the term is a lesbian or gay, leaving out the "a" for gay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I'm presuming some sort of commitment ceremony!

Anyway, a lot of teenage girls experiment with their friends. It's a away to explore but in a safe space.
    I think we will see some conflictions in her character as Sophie is a strong Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I think we will see some conflictions in her character as Sophie is a strong Christian.

Didn't stop Ted Haggard and numerous others lol.

Haven't seen this story line but I think very few soaps do justice to lesbian and gay relationships. For me Brookside stands head and shoulders above them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    spurious wrote: »
    What has either of those got to do with being a lesbian ?

The lesbos and gayers are always represented in soaps as the witty (but essentially sad and probably suicidal) outsiders. The tracksuitted, take-away noshing, footy supporting male gene pool in the Weatherfield cobbles was never going to catch the eye of the 'bright young thing' that is Surfie.

Am interested about what Muslims think of the gay storyline in Eastenders where a gay Muslim gets married to a Muslim woman, despite having a boyfriend and his mother knowing, the marriage fell apart and last night the brides Muslim family apppeared to rip out the boyfriends penis....Riyadh in Growing Up gay in Ireland was of a Muslim father...interested in whether Islamic communties are as homophobic as stereotypes , such as Eastenders would lead one to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

Am interested about what Muslims think of the gay storyline in Eastenders where a gay Muslim gets married to a Muslim woman, despite having a boyfriend and his mother knowing, the marriage fell apart and last night the brides Muslim family appeared to rip out the boyfriends penis....Riyadh in Growing Up gay in Ireland was of a Muslim father...interested in whether Islamic communities are as homophobic as stereotypes , such as Eastenders would lead one to believe.

That is the only soap I would admit I watch :D, love the Syed/Christian storyline. I think they portray it very well. I am not Muslim myself but I have read a few essays from gay Muslims and it seems to be a common thing that it is very very difficult to be gay and Muslim (in the U.K).

Of course in countries like Iran being gay is enough to be whipped and put into jail.

As President Ahmadinejad said "There are no gays in Iran"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3RUwAJ_MI

I actually don't follow Eastenders but just happened to dip in last night........It seems quite a deep soap and a lot more serious than Coronation St?....

Yeah Homosexuals in Iran are given the choice of gender reassignment or death....many opt for gender reassignment in order to legitimise relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

I actually don't follow Eastenders but just happened to dip in last night........It seems quite a deep soap and a lot more serious than Coronation St?...

Definitely. People say that it is depressing and everyone is just shouting all of the time but I like it that way. Coronation street just seems clowny and almost "Carry On" sometimes. I won't even talk about Fair City, that is an embarrassment, I am convinced it is written by 13 year olds.

I don't remember any gays in Glenroe,no gays in that village was there? or have I premature Alzheimeirs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

No Freiheit, I dont think there was, Davith Thomas wouldn't fit in well with Biddy and Miley now would he ;)
    But I think the first gay soap storyline was in Fair City during the ninties but they never kissed, they were alway interrupted at the last second! Couldn't say the name of the characters though...I think I just saw a clip on reeling in the years or something.

I'd love to have seen Davith Thomas in Glenroe...would have been quite a spectacle!:)

Wasn't there a gay couple on ros na run?

Terry Pratchet

Was there? I never watched that really, and would never have expected it...Although I don't know why since there are so many young people involved in tg4 now. Was it long ago?

They 'came out' last night...missed Sophie tell her father Kevin...damn! He was ok apparently but not Sally the mummy!

Freiheit wrote: »
    They 'came out' last night...missed Sophie tell her father Kevin...damn! He was ok apparently but not Sally the mummy!
    I only just tuned in on time to see Sophie tell Kevin, (Edit) wasn't paying attention really and clearly missed Sally's real reaction...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Freiheit wrote: »

The amount of times Sally said "Lesbian my eye" in that episode was absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

The amount of times Sally said "Lesbian my eye" in that episode was absolutely hilarious.
    lol yeh and "There's no dungarees in this household!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've only gotten around to catching up on this story in the last week or so, and I actually think they're doing it fairly well as far as lesbian portrayals on soaps go. The only thing I hate is the awkward deathly silence in my house when I'm watching it and they come on the tv and all conversation stops :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Have to say, my favourite gay soap story has got to be Christian and Oliver in Verbotene Liebe.

Advertisement