Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyd's Race/Training Log

• 13-04-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

I've been meaning to start this for a while. I thought it would be good for me to keep track of my training and racing here in the UK.

I'm planning on doing all the races I can in the London Women's League. Also taking part in the Women's National Team Series with Team Dynamo! And I also want to get started on the track!! And maybe throw in a sportif or two (that's a big maybe!)

So I think i've given myself a pretty hectic schedule for the summer. But I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

So the season kicked off with Round 1 of the London Women's League at Goodwood on March 28th.

My preparation for this was not what you would call ideal. I injured my shoulder in an accident two weeks prior, which meant I was off the bike until the Friday before the Sunday race. Also the winter weather and lack of turbo didn't help, so my 'winter training' was non existent. I tried to do a spin class a week after my January exams finished, and also the club spin in Richmond Park on Saturdays, but that is not nearly enough to prepare for these races!

Goodwood race course is a flat closed 3.8km motor circuit and very open. On the race morning it was overcast and very windy. Not good! Slowly the sun started to creep out, but the wind persisted. Around 40 Cat3 & Cat4 riders turned up for the race. It was slightly daunting to have such a big bunch for my first race. Anyway, to cut a long story short I finished paddy last (pun intended!). I learned a lot from the race, mostly not to start off at 40km/hr, as not a chance in hell can I keep up that pace for 40/50km. So I got dropped pretty quickly, tried to chase the bunch for over a lap, but the legs just had nothing in them, but I didn't quit, no way was I getting a DNF in my first race, coming last was better than that!

Next on the list was the London Phoenix Easter Classic on April 5.

After the race in Goodwood, i decided that I just needed to do a lot more kilometres on the bike, so thought I'd give the 112km ride through relatively flat Essex a go!

Again the London weather was not cooperating. The wind was absolutely howling which made it quite chilly. The course was definitely not as flat as I thought it was going to be, but the first 60km to the food stop went quite quickly I thought. I stuck with a fellow Dynamo the whole way. (It was his first sportif too!) With the wind on our tail, we set a pretty fast pace, which all of the other Dynamo's decided not to keep up with! I found out after I finished that they all wimped out and did the shorter 54km course.

After the food stop it was time to face the headwind to the finish. This was incredibly painful. I remember looking at my bike computer a lot and the kms were going by very very slowly. At about 70km in, the shoulder pain began. I didn't really feel like my legs were too tired, but the pain in my shoulders was just slowing me down a lot. We got a little group together and I tried to hang on for as long as possible but I just couldn't keep up the pace. Thankfully my Dynamo friend slowed down and stuck with me to the finish. He also reminded me to eat!! So for the last 15km or so I got a bit of a rush and finished well, the sun also came out for the finish (the nasty wind was still there though) It was a great accomplishment for me to finish, first time I have done over 100km :D

Stats:
    Distance: 115km (we missed a left turn!)
    Avg: 25km/hr
    Time: 4hr 45min (on the saddle)

The day after the Easter Classic I flew home to Dublin. Legs were tight and my back was even tighter! I arranged to get a loan of a bike so managed to do two spins in the few days I was home. A nice 60km on Wednesday to Brittas. I had forgotten about the nice hill to get up there. It was a much needed spin to loosen out my legs, couldn't help but feel like I was going incredibly slow, probably went faster than my legs wanted me to go though! And my favourite, a spin up to the viewing point in Howth. Cycling in Dublin is so much nicer than here in London!

So last week was the most i've been on a bike in one week since I started cycling last summer. I can definitely feel my fitness improving, hills aren't as scary to me as they used to be!

Last Sunday came the day i've been waiting for for a long long time! I finally made it out on to a track!

I went to a ladies training session at Herne Hill Velodrome. I was quite nervous about being on a fixed gear bike. I've never been on one before so wasn't quite sure what to expect. About 6 of us turned up, I was the only newbie, so I had the coach all to myself for my induction. Herne Hill is a pretty shallow track, it didn't feel so shallow to me. The coach made me do a few laps on each of the lines and then finally at the top of the track. At each corner I had to tell myself not to look down :eek: I got used to the bike pretty quickly, every now and again i'd try to free wheel, but the bike abruptly reminded me that it doesn't do that!

I joined with the rest of the girls after the short induction. Coach had us do lots of different training drills. The last drill was a sprinting drill...finally what i've been dying to do for so long! It was so much fun to sprint past the other girls!! hehe! Cannot wait to get back out on the track!

The hardest part of the day was the commute to the velodrome...15km across south London, I got lost a lot!

Finally made it to the present! Next on the cycling calendar is the first event of the National Team Series in Windsor this Sunday. I'm not expecting too much from this, but as with everything, I'll give it a go! Training this week will consist of a few spins to Richmond Park for laps.

• Advertisement

***been a while, but more news will be coming soon!***

Exams kind of took over for the past month! Time to get back to updating this log!

Team Series - Windsor - Sunday April 18

We ended up not racing in this as we only found out on the Friday before hand that the race was full and we could not enter on the day. This was pretty annoying, but it was our fault for not organising the team earlier. It kicked our asses in to gear and we've pre-entered for every race since!!

London League Round 3 - Crystal Palace - Tuesday April 20

Crystal Palace is a very short (0.8 mile), very fast and very technical crit race in Crystal Palace Park, South London. It's one of the oldest cycling circuits in London. Great video describing the circuit here. I was so nervous heading to this race, I had heard so many things about the circuit, both good and bad! When there's a corner called 'Death Corner', you know it's going to be interesting!

I got a lift to the park pretty early. It was a nice sunny day in London, perfect racing conditions. I needed to get there early to get a few laps of the circuit in before the junior races started. The circuit has one hairpin turn and one very sharp blind left corner with a nice steep fall the other side of it. It took me a few laps before I felt comfortable enough to take these corners at any speed. After that there was a lot of standing around and I got pretty cold before our race start.

Twenty-three ladies lined up on the start line. I wasn't really too sure what to expect of the race, but I found out pretty quickly after the start. The girls took off so fast, it was crazy. My heart rate must have been insanely high. I got dropped pretty much instantly but I pushed around the course as hard as I could for a long as I could. I knew there were a few girls behind me so that kept me going until the finish. I was breathing very hard for the entire race, which wasn't actually that long, I think it was only 12 laps. Each lap the short hill got harder and harder and harder!

I was very happy to finish the race and actually have a few riders behind me. It was a much better performance than at Goodwood. Oddly I really enjoyed the course, it's definitely a huge adrenaline rush taking those corners very fast. :D Crystal Palace races are every Tuesday, I haven't had the chance to take part in another one yet, was hoping to tonight but it was cancelled. I'm looking forward to giving it a go again!

So I learned two things after this race.
    1. Still no where near fit enough.
    2. CRYSTAL PALACE = PAIN

Track Session - Saturday May 1

I did another track session at Herne Hill. I chose to be conservative and do the novice session (instead of intermediate). This was a bad decision. The session wasn't as challenging as my first one. It was full of complete newbies to 'organised' cycling who were not used to riding in a tight group, so the session was really just teaching stuff like that. This stuff is obviously very important on the track and should be practiced. You realise how important is to stick on someone's wheel when you race on the track...but I just really wanted to do some sprinting drills and some hard training!!! Next time I'll do the intermediate session :)

London League Round 5/National Series - Hillingdon Grand Prix - Sunday May 16

Back to the Ladies League. This race was in the middle of my masters exams, I had done a few hard Richmond Park training sessions before it, but I don't think anything could have prepared me for a National Series race! The best of the best in the UK were racing so I knew this race would be very very hard. So my 'race plan' was just to work as hard as I could to stick in the bunch for as long as my legs would let me. I had been to Hillingdon before, so at least there weren't any nerves from not knowing what to expect of the course.

I had prepped well for this race. I rode out to the West London circuit, it was about a 40min ride, so I was well warmed up for the start. I ate well before hand, I was feeling good. I was nervous but no where near as bad as I was before Crystal Palace. I did about 3 or 4 warm up laps, I was good to go! I didn't clip in very quickly so I chased the bunch and tagged in on the back. Race plan was put into action! "Shut up legs, just keep pushing". It was working well, I was happy enough in the back of the bunch. After the first lap I decided to try and start working my way up the bunch a little. Then there was a *CRASH* on the short up-hill section of the circuit. (Don't ask me how they managed to crash going uphill!) I was just a little behind it. I managed to swerve and avoid it. Only three came down in it. So then it was chasing time! I was working so hard to catch up with the lead bunch and then they put up the black flag and stopped us at the start/finish line....I was absolutely panting!! Two girls were still down after the crash, one was pretty badly scrapped up. Think she broke a rib and was having breathing problems. They started the race again in a few minutes. I didn't clip in AGAIN!! So chased again and stuck in the back of the bunch. The pace was fast and I was working hard to stay in the bunch. I stuck in for about 10 laps . Then I started to feel the pace increase after a girl tried to break off the front of the bunch. The course is very windy, so the breaks never lasted as the bunch chased. I didn't have it in me. I was at my max. I couldn't go any faster. Then I started going backwards! I chased for as long as I could, but it was just too little, too late. And then...very unlike me, I just quit. I couldn't face just going around out the back of the bunch on my own, with my legs hurting like hell! I had accomplished my 'race-plan' and I was happy enough with that (well almost, I was pretty angry with myself for stopping so quickly after I was dropped).

The race ended up being stopped again after an ambulance came to pick up the injured rider. It was kind of cold, and pretty windy, the leaders who were pushing the pace hard must have been so annoyed to be standing around for a good 20min as the ambulance picked up the girl. It ended in a bunch sprint, with a girl who regularly races in Belgium winning. At least I now know what is expected in a National Series race!! Anyway...it was back to the study for me. Next race was in a week's time, but I wouldn't have any time to get out on the bike before it!

London League Round 6 - South East Road Race Championship - Saturday May 22

MY FIRST ROAD RACE! (Well at least it would have been if I had made it to the start on time!!)

I was not hugely looking forward to this race. I just finished my exams on Friday, it had been a horrible week of study and stress. I was feeling pretty drained by the end of it. But it was sunny and I had pre-entered!

The course was 7 laps of a 6 mile rolling circuit in Surrey. I was looking forward to being out on the roads and not on the short crit circuits in London. But anyway, I missed the start as my incapable boyfriend didn't find out proper directions and we got lost on the way. We ended turning up as the peloton were passing on the 2nd lap :( I've learned my lesson! Never trust a man to get you anywhere on time!

I decided to tag in the end of the race anyway. So I started off, thinking I'd roll slowly and let the peloton pass me and try jump in the back of the bunch. They ended up catching me on a bad corner so I had to jump off the so I wouldn't get in their way. The support vehicles were so close to the back of the group, so I had to wait for them to pass before I could try chase the bunch. Wasn't happening! So I was thinking I'd just ride three hard laps and watch the finish. Near the end of my third lap a dropped rider caught up with me. I had no idea there were any dropped riders behind me. We worked together for the rest of lap. For some reason this was the first time I truly noticed how little work you have to do when you a sucking on someone's wheel. Maybe because I was beginning to tire and was able to recover a lot when I was behind her. It was great to have the company and have someone else to push me along. As we crossed the start/finish line we got the bell, and I thought, what the hell, just keep 'racing'. I was not looking forward to doing the little hilly section of the course again though!!

We pulled each other through the final lap. The whole way around I was thinking of the finish. The wannabe sprinter in me kept thinking of a little mini sprint finish!! But I was thinking, I'm not actually in the race, I probably shouldn't, I should just get out of the way and let the girl still in the race finish. So I thought I'd lead her out to the finish, but then she decided she didn't want that and went in front just before the long straight before the finish line. So I thought f**k it, I never get to do this, i got on her wheel and sprinted past her about 50m or so from the line! It was fun...a little mini victory for Lyd!

Sorry I don't have any stats for my past few races. I'll be better at noting them down afterwards in the future. My average speed on Richmond Park rides is certainly increasing. I'll also write my little report soon after the race when it's fresher in memory.

Next weekend is race free, so I'm hoping to get another track session in and also doing my first Surrey Hills ride! My next race is a National Team Series Race up North on a very hilly circuit. Doesn't suit me at all! Should be a pain-fest!

Been a while since I posted! Opps!

So since the SE Champs I've done a few more races.

6th June - NTS Melbourne
    Hard race, hill after hill after hill on a very hot day. Not much to report. Definitely just a training day for me. Spent most of it on my own as I couldn't keep up with my team mates on the hills.

15th June - London League, Crystal Palace
    See report from my first attempt. Went pretty much the same except FASTER. Won the first lantern rouge prize in the ladies league!! Woop 5 quid!

20th June - NTS Stratford (66km)
    Wasn't feeling too good on the morning on this race, early start to drive up to Stratford-upon-Avon. It was sunny, but the wind was cold. Dropped immediately, legs just weren't feeling it at all. Got into a nice group of three with a team mate. The day turned hot and sunny. Got through the whole distance with a consistent pace (avgerage was about 32km/hr). Course was flat/rolling. Sprinted for the uphill finish and beat the two others ;)

27th June - London to Brighton
    Amazing day, so thought it would be good to try the 100km to Brighton. Nice ride but still having problems with my shoulders :( Felt very euro going over the South Downs with my jersey zipped down!!

3rd July - Open Track Meet, Herne Hill
    Raced with the boys on the track! Shame there wasn't any other girls. Definitely need to get more experience to know where to place myself on the track for events like the devil. Also need a bigger gear!

10th July - NTS Oakley, Buckinghamshire
    Yet another very very hot day. Did 4 out of the 6 laps. (15km/lap). Very flat course. Stuck with the bunch until a tight left turn where I found myself at the back of the bunch and just didn't have the legs to sprint back on. Pretty annoying as I felt quite strong and the course really suited me. Did 4 laps and ran out of water! Didn't feel like killing myself just to finish, especially as I have a TT this Sunday!

My loan bike for next Sunday. 10.4 mile TT in Richmond Park. I have a pointy hat and everything, should be a lot of fun!
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=693&filename=fmr.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Advertisement

I have now stupidly entered an 'urban hill climb' in London.

Any ideas on how I should train for this? Considering I have only a week to do so! Or any tips on how to tackle a hill TT? Gears etc.?

MapMyRide containing Swaine Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

With only a week to go I'd say do a good recce of the hill so you know what's ahead of you and make sure you go into it well rested with lots of energy.

In terms of gearing I was told once to start in a bigger gear and go down to the smaller ones as needs be but I think you really have to do what suits you best, some people are able to mash bigger gears, some people have to spin a bit more. I think the most important thing is not to burn out halfway up the hill because then you will be BUNCHED for the second half.

Enjoying the race reports, interesting to see the differences between the scene over here & there, good luck in the TT!

With only a week to go I'd say do a good recce of the hill so you know what's ahead of you and make sure you go into it well rested with lots of energy.

In terms of gearing I was told once to start in a bigger gear and go down to the smaller ones as needs be but I think you really have to do what suits you best, some people are able to mash bigger gears, some people have to spin a bit more. I think the most important thing is not to burn out halfway up the hill because then you will be BUNCHED for the second half.

Enjoying the race reports, interesting to see the differences between the scene over here & there, good luck in the TT!

Thanks!

Not really sure what I should be mentioning in my 'reports'. Let me know if there's any more info you want.

I finished the 10.4 mile course in 30 min 13 sec. I was aiming for sub 30, maybe next time!

It was a nice morning for the TT, no wind but it was very damp. Rained just a little after everyone finished.

Results here. 6th in the TT category and 13th overall.

HILL CLIMB TIME TRAILS ARE NOT FUN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Report!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Report!
    Yea - might not have been fun for you, but we'll all enjoy reading about your pain and misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... i feel your pain girl...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

lyders wrote: »
    HILL CLIMB TIME TRAILS ARE NOT FUN!

Came across this video this morning. Was this your hill climb?

el tonto wrote: »
    Came across this video this morning. Was this your hill climb?

Yup, that's the one. Thankfully I don't feature!

Some awesome pictures here.

• Advertisement

Lyds, will you write a report about your track prowess at the weekend?

lyders wrote: »
    Some awesome pictures here.

Very odd seeing a hillclimb against the backdrop of a brick wall! They look like studio shots.

And some strange clothing choices.

Report!

Rollapaluza Urban Hill Climb

Not much to report of my dismal performance!

When we arrived the roads were pretty wet, so I let some air out of my rear tyre and went and did a few runs of a hill that was close by. I was also able to cycle up to the half way point on Swains Lane. This half wasn't so bad, but it kicked up to about 20% around the corner and up to the finish. I didn't even look at this part of the hill, so my first time to see it was on my timed run. (Not such a good idea!)

On my run, the first half went really quickly. I started in my middle ring and probably half way up the cassette. I was feeling quite strong. I could hear the announcer calling my name and club as I went past the half way point. My body was not prepared for what came next though. I shift down a few gears and got out of saddle and just tried to spin. There were so many people lined up along the lane, I could hear shouting, cheering, and laughing :( The first pain I noticed was in my biceps, I was pulling on my handle bars so hard. Then my breathing went crazy and tunnel vision started. I went back into the saddle after the steepest part, legs were absolutely dead, dropped into my granny ring (another bad idea) and did a snails pace the 20/30m to the finish. Felt so close to fainting after the finish it was not funny, head was spinning, couldn't see straight. Took quite a while to build up the courage to get back on the bike.

Fastest time by a lady was 2:08. My time, 3:30.

My excuses:
    1. My bike is quite a few kg more than any other and definitely not made for going up hills.
    2. I've not done ANY hill training in London, nor had I been up Swaines Lane before.
    3. They actually got my time wrong and I did it in 2:30!!

scaled.php?tn=0&server=52&filename=e0qz.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

As much pain as it was, I would definitely do it again. Rollapaluza are an awesome club and organised an amazing, never done before, event! That, and I just want to beat my time. Maybe I'll have nice fancy carbon bike by then though! :D

Highlight of the evening.....as I was leaving a local came out of his house with freshly baked cupcakes for us!!!

Very odd seeing a hillclimb against the backdrop of a brick wall! They look like studio shots.

And some strange clothing choices.

Yeah, that's Rollapaluza for you!! Quite a few did it on fixies!!

And there was even a guy on a mountain bike with his dog in the basket!!

Lyds, will you write a report about your track prowess at the weekend?

Yup I'll get on it as soon as I can!

For now...here's a link to the results.

2:30 is really short, quite difficult to pace without practice.

You want to use up all your anaerobic capacity but not too soon or your muscles will drown in their own waste products.

Really bad at keeping this up to date :(

My new team blog is here for anyone interested.

For some real life Lyders log action...come scream at me to pedal faster this weekend at Sundrive!! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Won't be able to get down, but good luck in the National Track Championships lyders - hopefully the weather will hold up

• Advertisement

Lyds is the new Ladies Irish Track National Sprint Champion.
    Congrats :)

Advertisement