Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student application

Options
  • 13-04-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm returning to college this year and qualify as a mature student. The courses I'm applying for I already have sufficient points from my leaving cert. My question is do I have to go through the interviewing process, or can I just enter through the cao points system. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

eggsnail wrote: »
    My question is do I have to go through the interviewing process, or can I just enter through the cao points system.

In a way, both.

As a mature student, your points from when you did your leaving cert don't really count, though you may be required to have studied certain subjects relevant to the course to LC level.

To apply as a mature student, you need to apply through the CAO but also apply to the college directly using a Mature Student supplementary information form which is usually found on the faculty's website. Both the CAO and the college form have their own cut-of dates for application. Sometimes, the closing date for mature students through the CAO is a lot earlier than for LC students from that year so check that out ASAP.

Based on your CAO and extra info, the college may decide to interview you. From what I've gathered, most do hold interviews for mature students.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cao closing date for matures was feb 1 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ni churraoin

The closing date was the 1st of Feb but u might be able 2put in a late application just get in touch with d cao asap. The fact u have enough points already 4the course your applying 4might go in your favour!! As regards applying as a mature, u dont have to go through the whole interview process if ur happy that u have enough points already. Ive applied this year as a mature student, my no.1 course I havent sufficient points for so ive had 2do an interview but ive also listed some courses that i have more than enough points for already. I received letters from these colleges about interviews+extra application forms 2be filled in to be considered as a mature+I started to worry that my points wouldnt be counted so I rang the college. I was told that the letters are an automatic response from colleges but that if I didnt do interviews it just meant that my application as mature wouldnt be considered for that course but that I would still get offered it through the cao if my points are sufficient.
    So ring CAO+plead your case to get late application+then its happy days youl get your course, best of luck!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 eggsnail

The closing date was the 1st of Feb but u might be able 2put in a late application just get in touch with d cao asap. The fact u have enough points already 4the course your applying 4might go in your favour!! As regards applying as a mature, u dont have to go through the whole interview process if ur happy that u have enough points already. Ive applied this year as a mature student, my no.1 course I havent sufficient points for so ive had 2do an interview but ive also listed some courses that i have more than enough points for already. I received letters from these colleges about interviews+extra application forms 2be filled in to be considered as a mature+I started to worry that my points wouldnt be counted so I rang the college. I was told that the letters are an automatic response from colleges but that if I didnt do interviews it just meant that my application as mature wouldnt be considered for that course but that I would still get offered it through the cao if my points are sufficient.
    So ring CAO+plead your case to get late application+then its happy days youl get your course, best of luck!!:)

I have already applied through the cao , but not as a mature student. After recieving a letter from the college about interviews , I thought that I have to enter as a mature student. To be honest I was panicking a bit. Another problem that may arise is that the course Im gonna study I previously did first year in a differant college and failed a few modules and didnt repeat. Will that effect my application i.e. can i study the whole year, or will they only let me study the subjects I failed. . I understand I will have to pay reg + fees as I recieved a grant for 1st year already, but If I applied as a mature student would I be in the same boat. Thanks for your help

To be honest i'm not sure about your situation because if you didnt tick the mature student box its unusual that the college would send you out info on interviews. It would be no harm giving the college in question a quick ring, ive had to ring a few colleges myself to check about things+they were all really nice+helpful. Maybe the CAO automatically put you down as mature because you are eligible.....if so then you wont have to worry about interviews. Otherwise it could be the fact that you started the same course elsewhere before and didnt finish so they want to meet you to make sure you will see it through this time. Dont worry though if you do have to do an interview just explain that your more mature now+know exactly whats ahead of you academically this time+are more prepared mentally to see it through. If anything the fact that you are applying to do the same course again proves that youve a keen interest in it which is positive!!!
    Best to ring the college anyway+put your mind at rest, youl know within a few minutes what the story is+can either forget about it knowing that it was a mistake or else start preparing for an interview. Hope it works out for you!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Hi, i also applied as mature this year, my question to you is when do you think we will get an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I went through a lot of channels to get a definitive answer to this question when I was applying as a 24 year old mature student last year.

If you have the points for the course you want then you're under no obligation to apply any differently to those fresh out of Leaving Cert. I got that answer and was still treated as if I'd applied as a mature student (ie, as if I'd filled out pages 3 and 4 of the CAO form) just by virtue of being over 23. They sent me out all the literature but I ignored it all. They just see who's over 23 and regardless of whether or not they're applying solely on the basis of being a mature student, they lump them all together.

chunkis wrote: »
    Hi, i also applied as mature this year, my question to you is when do you think we will get an interview?

Well it depends which colleges you have applied to. Most colleges start their interviews in April so you should hear from them very soon. Trinity have been holding interviews since March, I had 1 there already and another coming up. UCD dont hold interviews at all for mature students they pick based on your personal statement from CAO. I have also applied to UCC, NUI Galway but havent heard anything about interviews there yet. As far as I know UL hold their interviews in June, so it really depends which college your waiting to hear about an interview from:)

Advertisement