Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stereotypes

Options
  • 13-04-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭

It seems that there are lot of stereotypes about what it means to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. What stereotypes annoy you? Do you think that stereotypes can be seen as representative?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

Ah just silly things like thinking gay men love shopping and are wonderful accessories for single straight females. i.e. The Sex and The City version of the gay male. I think any stereotype annoys me really. It just seems so dumb to connect sexual orientation to all these other traits that have nothing to do with it. Sexuality can be a confusing thing to come to terms with, people don't need all these extra expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@ManyGirls:
    That I have some innate ability to be constantly funny or amusing, or that — without knowing you — I actually give a shit about your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Lesbians just haven't found the right man.
    All gay men love fashion and are hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    It seems that there are lot of stereotypes about what it means to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. What stereotypes annoy you? Do you think that stereotypes can be seen as representative?
    Stereotypes come from somewhere. Sure not all people conform to their stereotype but in my experiences many of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

^^^ Yes, like the way all Irish people have red hair, blue eyes and freckles. Oh, and they're all alcoholics who enjoy boxing and the consequential domestic abuse that goes with it...

Oh sorry, I should replace ALL with the majority of Irish people according to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Stereotypes come from somewhere. Sure not all people conform to their stereotype but in my experiences the majority of them do.

Your experience must be quite limited - For example there seems to be a stereotype that all gay men are flamboyant and camp - I have found that most gay men are not flamboyant and camp or that all Irish people are drunken brawlers

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Pink Adoptions

Stereotypes come from somewhere. Sure not all people conform to their stereotype but in my experiences the majority of them do.

Could it be that you are not aware of those who do not conform to your stereotypical view?

Your experience must be quite limited - For example there seems to be a stereotype that all gay men are flamboyant and camp - I have found that most gay men are not flamboyant and camp or that all Irish people are drunken brawlers
    I didn't say all people compare to the stereotype. I said in my experiences many people in a certain group conform to the stereotype of that group.

Stereotypes are not baseless. Take homosexuals for example. They may not all be camp but many are. And while not all gay people are camp, nearly all camp people are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yeah, but you used the word "majority".

^^^ Yes, like the way all Irish people have red hair, blue eyes and freckles. Oh, and they're all alcoholics who enjoy boxing and the consequential domestic abuse that goes with it...
    Not all Irish people are ginger with blue eyes and freckles. But we have the second most red haired people in the world after Scotland.

Are you saying Stereotypes don't have a base ?
    Oh sorry, I should replace ALL with the majority of Irish people according to you!
    Emm no you shouldn't...

You should replace all with many.

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    Yeah, but you used the word "majority".
    oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"many" would still suggest your experience is limited, or indeed more likely that the countless LGB people who are not obvious are not likely to let someone with your attitudes know their status...

I didn't say all people compare to the stereotype. I said in my experiences many people in a certain group conform to the stereotype of that group.

Stereotypes are not baseless. Take homosexuals for example. They may not all be camp but many are. And while not all gay people are camp, nearly all camp people are gay.

Many gay people are camp, many are not, The Majority certainly are not - Also consider it this way - You know 12 gay people - You think you know 5 - (the other 7 are not camp, not obviously gay and not out to you) 4 of the 5 gay people you know are camp - therefore your experience is that
    not all people conform to their stereotype but in my experiences the majority of them do.

Terry Pratchet

MYOB wrote: »
    "many" would still suggest your experience is limited, or indeed more likely that the countless LGB people who are not obvious are not likely to let someone with your attitudes know their status...
    Don't you mean LGBT ?

Don't you mean LGBT ?

Look at the name of this forum.

Many gay people are camp, many are not, The Majority certainly are not - Also consider it this way - You know 12 gay people - You think you know 5 - (the other 7 are not camp, not obviously gay and not out to you) 4 of the 5 gay people you know are camp - therefore your experience is that
    As I said the word majority in my post was a mistake.

Nevertheless I stand by my declaration that stereotypes are not baseless, appearing from nowhere.

Now in regards to your text. Why wouldn't I know the other seven are gay ? I get around quite abit and know a right few people. I would hate to think that they wouldn't be able to confide in me.

Look at the name of this forum.
    That was the joke...

It was a reference to / dig at the current controversy brewing over the name of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

Where do i start :p
    That gay guys hate sport except swimming.
    That all gay guys check out their mates in the communal showers or would do their male friends if given the opportunity.
    That all gays are promiscuous.
    That all gay men are camp and women are butch.
    There r more but ^^ these annoy me the most.
    And no i dont think the stereotypes are good representatives, instead i feel that those stereotypes are holding the gay community back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Because people get to an age or stage in their life where they no longer broadcast their private lifes. You maybe know dozens of gay,lesbian and bisexual people without ever realising it. I'm always taken a back by the number of people I encounter who are bisexual.

Thats like me saying most gay guys are camp because iv been to a gay bar once. This is just not true.
    Its statements like these that do annoy me.
    The majority of gay guys i know dont discuss their sexuality, neither do i apart from on boards to help others. None of them are 'flamboyant'

• Advertisement

Nebit wrote: »
    That gay guys hate sport except swimming.
    That all gay guys check out their mates in the communal showers or would do their male friends if given the opportunity.
    Meh, I'm sure the check out the ones they fancy.
    And no i dont think the stereotypes are good representatives, instead i feel that those stereotypes are holding the gay community back.
    Maybe you're right. Maybe sterotypes are holding the Gay community back. But equaly maybe many people in the gay community feel empowered by the use of stereotypes.

For example if we look at Gay Pride marches we are bombarded with camp slogans and the colour pink. Many people at these events are half dress (weather premitting), and the amount warnings about STI's and Safe Sex slogans leave little to wonder about when searching for an origin of these stereotypes.

But there are two sides to every coin. And as I look closer into the gay community I am begining to see why gay people put on such splended shows of flamboyance. They do it because it challanges the stereotypes one thinks of when thinking of a gay person. Using these stereotypes they become empowered and are better able to break tradition and hopefully change peoples attitudes towards homosexual people.

My two cents on the subject.

Boston wrote: »
    Because people get to an age or stage in their life where they no longer broadcast their private lifes. You maybe know dozens of gay,lesbian and bisexual people without ever realising it. I'm always taken a back by the number of people I encounter who are bisexual.
    Well I'm 18 and nearly all people I know are 16-20 so I doubt they have reached that stage.

For example if we look at Gay Pride marches we are bombarded with camp slogans and the colour pink. Many people at these events are half dress (weather premitting), and the amount warnings about STI's and Safe Sex slogans leave little to wonder about when searching for an origon of these stereotypes.

I think you need to stop watching so much TV.

Thats like me saying most gay guys are camp because iv been to a gay bar once. This is just not true.
    Its statements like these that do annoy me.
    The majority of gay guys i know dont discuss their sexuality, neither do i apart from on boards to help others. None of them are 'flamboyant'
    Alright you know what I'm editing my post !

This one?

Terry Pratchet

I think you need to stop watching so much TV.
    Alright now you are just being insulting. Keep it up and I'm putting you on my ignore list.

This one?
    Yep.

Meh, I'm sure the check out the ones they fancy.

Maybe you're right. Maybe sterotypes are holding the Gay community back. But equaly maybe many people in the gay community feel empowered by the use of stereotypes.

For example if we look at Gay Pride marches we are bombarded with camp slogans and the colour pink. Many people at these events are half dress (weather premitting), and the amount warnings about STI's and Safe Sex slogans leave little to wonder about when searching for an origin of these stereotypes.

But there are two sides to every coin. And as I look closer into the gay community I am begining to see why gay people put on such splended shows of flamboyance. They do it because it challanges the stereotypes one thinks of when thinking of a gay person. Using these stereotypes they become empowered and are better able to break tradition and hopefully change peoples attitudes towards homosexual people.

My two cents on the subject.

No the people i shower with are my team mates, my family. Not only that i have decency, like a lot of people out there and wouldnt check out any of them. In the same way my straight friends would look away when a female friend is changing in the same room as them.

My opinions on the Gay parade are that they are outdated, having said that i have never been to one, but i do know that a lot of my Straight friends and 'straight acting' gay friends go. The flamboyant gays are the ones to be televised so i suggest u go to the next parade before coming to that conclusion.
    The media shows said flamboyant gays because that is the stereotype which is why my views on media coverage of gay parades are negative.

Alright now you are just being insulting. Keep it up and I'm putting you on my ignore list.

Insulting? I'm just stating that your idea of a Pride parade bares no resemblence to reality.

• Advertisement

Well I'm 18 and nearly all people I know are 16-20 so I doubt they have reached that stage.

Wait till you're in the mid 20s before figuring out how many gay people you know. 16-20 is no age to guess at, seeing as many people - particularly those that AREN'T flamboyant - are still in deep denial at that age.

Advertisement