Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stereotypes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Meh, I'm sure the check out the ones they fancy.

Maybe you're right. Maybe sterotypes are holding the Gay community back. But equaly maybe many people in the gay community feel empowered by the use of stereotypes.

For example if we look at Gay Pride marches we are bombarded with camp slogans and the colour pink. Many people at these events are half dress (weather premitting), and the amount warnings about STI's and Safe Sex slogans leave little to wonder about when searching for an origin of these stereotypes.

But there are two sides to every coin. And as I look closer into the gay community I am begining to see why gay people put on such splended shows of flamboyance. They do it because it challanges the stereotypes one thinks of when thinking of a gay person. Using these stereotypes they become empowered and are better able to break tradition and hopefully change peoples attitudes towards homosexual people.

My two cents on the subject.

I think this proves my point earlier on
    Your experience must be quite limited

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nebit wrote: »
    No the people i shower with are my team mates, my family. Not only that i have decency, like a lot of people out there and wouldnt check out any of them. In the same way my straight friends would look away when a female friend is changing in the same room as them.
    Really you don't check out people you fancy ? Ok maybe not your friends but say a stranger at the gym or someone you don't know ?
    My opinions on the Gay parade are that they are outdated, having said that i have never been to one, but i do know that a lot of my Straight friends and 'straight acting' gay friends go. The flamboyant gays are the ones to be televised so i suggest u go to the next parade before coming to that conclusion.
    The media shows said flamboyant gays because that is the stereotype which is why my views on media coverage of gay parades are negative.
    I have been to the Pride parade in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

MYOB wrote: »
    Wait till you're in the mid 20s before figuring out how many gay people you know. 16-20 is no age to guess at, seeing as many people - particularly those that AREN'T flamboyant - are still in deep denial at that age.

i would agree with this the majority of my gay 'straight acting' friends are either still in the closet or came out in their early 20s, in fact me being the youngest at 20 and and a half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

The stereotypes have a basis in reality. There shouldn't be any harm in admitting that. However, a problem arises when a stereotype is used as a basis for a generalisation (e.g. gay men cant maintain a proper relationship, so they wouldnt make good parents, or lesbians just haven't met a good man).

Wait till you're in the mid 20s before figuring out how many gay people you know. 16-20 is no age to guess at, seeing as many people - particularly those that AREN'T flamboyant - are still in deep denial at that age.
    Well I would like to think that they have no need to be in denial but I suppose this isn't a perfact world. However times are changing fast and people are coming out at a much eariler age now.

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I think this proves my point earlier on
    How so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well I would like to think that they have no need to be in denial but I suppose this isn't a perfact world.

Until such point as there are no longer people attempting to deny equal rights, and such point as there is no homophobia in general society, there will be people who will be unwilling to come out. Particularly in the age group you've provided.

Ok can we get back to the original point of the thread
    What stereotypes annoy you?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Really you don't check out people you fancy ? Ok maybe not your friends but say a stranger at the gym or someone you don't know ?

I have been to the Pride parade in Dublin.

not in comunial showers no, as i said its common decency and etiquette not to do so, i dont think id really be arsed to do so either.
    If your talking about checking a stranger out while in the gym itself then yes i have but their not naked are they?
    At the same token i do not check out everyone in the gym just because they're a dude.

Ok you went to a gay parade, but you only took notice of the flamboyant gay men because they're the most obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ok can we get back to the original point of the thread

That if you're gay, you're going to want to listen to fecking house music in a nightclub.

Not sure thats quite the kind of stereotype you were expecting? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

I've wondered about this. Would you say it's because of not having been "called out" on it beforehand, whereas the more flamboyant characters would have had to confront the issue at a younger age? i.e. being asked about it or slagged etc? Is it because being able to "blend in" makes people more complacent, or because it becomes easier to lie to yourself?

Well I would like to think that they have no need to be in denial but I suppose this isn't a perfact world. However times are changing fast and people are coming out at a much eariler age now.

Well this is the thing, the reason i was afraid to come out before i did was because i would get placed under the stereotypes that you have previously outlined. It was these stereotypes that got me kicked off my team in Mayo.

That if you're gay, you're going to want to listen to fecking house music in a nightclub.

Not sure thats quite the kind of stereotype you were expecting? :P

No - I was expecting Abba

Terry Pratchet

all while wearing tank tops or vests no doubt

abba-music-is-gay.jpg

Terry Pratchet

Let's not forget Madonna.

And Cher. And Kylie. And Shirley Bassey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mccarn22

i love changing straight lads opinions towards gay fellas... like the amount of straights that are hung up about gays fancying them... were not that desperate... we do have standards etc... also the question that really annoys me that straight fellas always ask me.. " is it true that gays are like tops and bottoms, or give or take? ".. this wrecks my head... i know for a fact that possibly 4/10 straight guys love ass play themselves.... is it all that bad once your comfortable with it?? I hate that stereotype the most.. top or bottom...!

mccarn22 wrote: »
    i love changing straight lads opinions towards gay fellas... like the amount of straights that are hung up about gays fancying them... were not that desperate... we do have standards etc... also the question that really annoys me that straight fellas always ask me.. " is it true that gays are like tops and bottoms, or give or take? ".. this wrecks my head... i know for a fact that possibly 4/10 straight guys love ass play themselves.... is it all that bad once your comfortable with it?? I hate that stereotype the most.. top or bottom...!

Hahaha iv had a few of my m8s ask me this too.... arg does my head in. Girls are the worst for asking that particular question imo. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hahaha iv had a few of my m8s ask me this too.... arg does my head in. Girls are the worst for asking that particular question imo. Hilarious.

You should ask them if their vaginas leak.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    You should ask them if their vaginas leak.

lol will do.
    i'll get back to ya and let ya know how it goes so

mccarn22 wrote: »
    Huh, I always taught gay guys where top or bottom...

Guess you learn something new everyday.

Which one are you Iwasfrozen? I mean you have to be one or the other, it's in the law somewhere.

Huh, I always taught gay guys where top or bottom...

Guess you learn something new everyday.
    No lots are neither

2006 research reported that 70% of gay men have never had Anal sex -

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/Irish_study_of_sexual_health_and_relationships.html
    http://www.sarahcarey.ie/2006/10/18/sexual-practice-in-ireland/
    http://www.mamanpoulet.com/defining-sexuality/

I guess IWF you have learned today that the stereotype of gay men having lots of anal sex is untrue

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote:
    I guess IWF you have learned today that the stereotype of gay men having lots of anal sex is untrue
    Yep. It's a bigger number then I would have thought tough. Which is quite surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yep. It's a bigger number then I would have thought tough. Which is quite surprising.

Well, you learn something new every day. :)

Not engaging in, or engaging in?

Boston wrote: »
    Not engaging in, or engaging in?
    Not engaging in.

Yeah, I like to turn these situations around and ask them frightingly intimate questions about their sex lives. If it turns into a proper discussion then alls well. I'm quite willing to have a frank discussion about sex, but I refuse to be quizzed about it like some sort of freakshow oddity.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I like to turn these situations around and ask them frightingly intimate questions about their sex lives. If it turns into a proper discussion then alls well. I'm quite willing to have a frank discussion about sex, but I refuse to be quizzed about it like some sort of freakshow oddity.

Yeah i do the same..... :eek: although now i know some shocking stuff about my friends sex lives:(

Advertisement