Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stereotypes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've added links to the research I was referring to and some 2006 blogs discussing it as well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I find that number oddly high too, 70% really?
    I suppose I've only ever met guys who are on the scene to some extent but out of those I only know 2 or possibly 3 who don't engage in anal sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I can't be the only one who thinks that there should be no reason why straight guys wouldn't be as interested as gay guys in anal sex — either "giving" or receiving". I don't think there's anything inherently gay about liking it.

Having said that, though, I would agree that numbers who do would be quite low. 30% sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Stereotypes can be helpful or unhelpful depending on who you are and your perspective.

Typical male stereotypes:
    gay men are less masculine (obviously never heard of Tom of Finland)
    gay men are great at keeping house, being intimate and "loads of fun"
    gay are all either tops or bottoms - assumptions about types of sex as above
    gay men are great at style, imaging, creative arts etc
    gay men have no interest in or talent for sports
    gay men are mad on sex, and have no interest in settling down
    gay men are polygampous and rampantly promiscuous

Typical Female stereotypes:
    gay women are man hating feminists (most don't have any problem with men)
    gay women fancy ALL other women incessantly
    gay women ALL indulge in oral sex (some don't like it at all)
    gay women all look like, or emulate, men
    gay women don't want children or the other common one, desperately want children
    gay women are that way because they were abused or raped
    gay women are that way because they couldn't get a man / haven't met the right man
    gay women never look feminine
    gay women don't really exist at all - are only there for the viewing pleasure of peeping toms

where do I stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ask yourself what percentage of the general population engage in penetrative sex regularly. I'd say 45% - 55% when you factor in the old and the young. So 30% isn't that odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement