Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poll for Jersey designs 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

I voted for Darragh's jersey but i'd have to agree with TheBouldWhacker's comments on the old jersey.

Had there been an option to keep the old jersey i would have taken it! I must say i've always admired the boards.ie jersey. As a fairly newbie to the site, i have longed to possess a boardsie jersey of my own for over a year now. This thread finally gave a bunch of us newbies the chance to get a jersey but at what cost??? It'd be terrible to divide the group up into the "old" boardsies and "new" boardsies... Plus we're now gonna have to specify in the "boards jersey sightings" thread as to which jersey people were wearing!

And another thing! How are we gonna know which jersey to wear when we're all at sportives and spins and such??? Is somebody gonna post up in advance, and let us know that we're all wearing the "old" gear today. Otherwise some unfortunate individual (most likely myself) is gonna look like an idiot...

I will admit that i got caught up in the shiny new pinkyness of Darragh's boards jersey idea, but i forgot deep down what it means to have a jersey in the first place. Its to unite a bunch of computer geeks under the banner of cycling! This new jersey may do more to divide than unite....

I am therefore withdrawing my support for any new jersey and wish instead to buy an old boardsie jersey and bib at the soonest possible time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO the old jerseys look pretty nasty by comparison, but they will just become ironic collectors pieces like Festina 1998 or whatever. Some of them must be a bit tatty by now.

I do think that we should use the opportunity to go with higher quality gear, although as I understand it this is a jersey order only, not a full kit. Therefore it makes sense that the design should work with plain black shorts. Like the "cake or death" design. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why not use the colour scheme & some of the design elements in a new 'evolutionary' design, that won't alienate people with the older jerseys?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I personally like the "equito ergo sum", so i voted for that.
    but one of the nagging voices in my head keep goin on about;

'you haven't got enough posts/haven't joined a particular group you haven't found yet/ you're not on the team/other reason [delete as applicable} so you won't get to buy one'.

So I retorted 'shut up stupid brain, I'm gonna ask anyway'.

Tell me this, How much do they cost? and can i order one whatever the new design?
    :D

I don't think anyone will say no to anyone who wants to order one (unless of course a troll orders one, in which case we can light fires on sticks and cycle after them to get it back :D)
    I don't think there's any scope for a discount with Carvalho tbh, I spent quite a lot of time talking with them for the original kit order, and they're prices are very low for what you get, and I don't think the amount of kit we'll be ordering is 'large' by their standards (the original order was 40+ sets I seem to remember).

Thats grand, good to know going in. If we get that many for the new kit, it's not really to expensive at all.
    Most of the complaints were down to 'odd' sizing iirc, which can be sorted by going fully custom (Carvalho will make jerseys to any custom size you want for no extra charge) -the other orders have just kept it to standard sizes to make it easier on the person doing the ordering.

Fair enough, depends on numbers then as to how custom it gets, at the minute its evens between three of the manufacturers so it comes down to price in the end if this continues.
    One other option to check out is Kalas -they are a bit pricier than Carvalho, but I've seen a good selection of their stuff, and the quality is some of the best I've seen -they use chamois from the same supplier as Assos for example (so it's the same pad essentially). Worth checking out anyhow.

I can't seem to find a way of getting your own designs going on their website, its just different colouring of their designs so unless the winner is close to one of them, I'll leave them out.

I got an e-mail from Watts Custom this morning after they read the thread/seen the poll. They say they're good and can offer good prices. They have offered to send me up a weartest kit next week, so if I get it I can pass it round to anyone in Dublin for a feel.

www.wattcustom.com is their site, so if anyone knows them or has an opinion, fire away.

Maybe if they're reading the poll they can see the good PR opportunity to be had by offering discounts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I meant to vote for Capo Forma as the manufacturer, but didn't realise it was a dual poll. Anyway, I have some of their stock kit and it is nice stuff.

They also do bespoke kit and have some good designs out there, although I guess the designers were the actual customers.

Cyclingtips Blog
    MG_7308_large.jpg?1271170381

Pezcycling
    CLA.jpg

Dunno what the story is for pricing though.

Since it seems now certain that we will have two orders I am starting this post to get numbers for the old jersey (Tiny Explosions design). The cost will be on here: http://www.carvalhocustom.com/downloads/price_list.pdf.
    If you definitely want one, add your name. When I am about to order you can PM me your sizes, type of jersey, if you want shorts etc. Sizes are here: http://www.carvalhocustom.com/downloads/carvalhocustom_sizing.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

CramCycle wrote: »
    I can't seem to find a way of getting your own designs going on their website, its just different colouring of their designs so unless the winner is close to one of them, I'll leave them out.

Their website isn't the best in the world, but you can have full custom designs with them, but you seem to be in contact with others, so it's entirely up to you (see what you've started!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm in for an original jersey and whatever emerges from the poll.

• Advertisement

Their website isn't the best in the world, but you can have full custom designs with them, but you seem to be in contact with others, so it's entirely up to you (see what you've started!) :)

It's insane, I have a job, one that I want to keep :(

I think we should just let Raam choose the design. He's never wrong about this sort of stuff.

Oh yeah, one other thing to bear in mind is that Carvalho count *any* jersey (be they long or short sleeve etc) towards the 9 minimum, other companies may require them to all be the same type.

It's probably not an important distinction, but worth bearing in mind

It's insane, I have a job, one that I want to keep :(

...and that's why I'm not volunteering for this order!

Lumen wrote: »
    I think we should just let Raam choose the design. He's never wrong about this sort of stuff.

I wish I'd known
    Oh yeah, one other thing to bear in mind is that Carvalho count *any* jersey (be they long or short sleeve etc) towards the 9 minimum, other companies may require them to all be the same type.

It's probably not an important distinction, but worth bearing in mind

I think most pf them are like that, spin11 require 30, but can be any type of jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think Carvalho standard sizing got more normal in the last order. They stopped doing it on numbers and went with a S/M/L format. My most recent Boards jersey is a UK "M" and seems pretty normal.

Whatever you do make sure the jersey is a full-zip, they really are invaluable.

I'm a bit concerned as well about the dilution/splitting that occurs with a new design nice though Daragh's is.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Whatever you do make sure the jersey is a full-zip, they really are invaluable.

Absolutely.
    blorg wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned as well about the dilution/splitting that occurs with a new design nice though Daragh's is.

Club jerseys change more regularly. How many thousands of km has yours done?

Besides which, surely this is a poll for people who want to order a new jersey, not defend the status quo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I want wool!

Vélo wrote: »
    I want wool!

You have some strange fetishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

daragh_ wrote: »
    I'm in for an original jersey and whatever emerges from the poll.

+1. Possibly also other bits (bibs, gloves etc.) of the old kit, if they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

id be in for a jersey too some quality cycling gear wouldnt go astray

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »

I've been meaning to ask. How euro are these. I want the wool jersey to go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Latex is better! the wicking and breath ability is unparalleled!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've been meaning to ask. How euro are these. I want the wool jersey to go with them.

Do you need to ask?
    The colours were chosen to match the Tweed Run House Tweed for all traditionalists, and to pair well with denim for the hipsters out there. You can wear them with or without the included garters.

Who wrote that? Awful!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Do you need to ask?

Who wrote that? Awful!

What do you mean awful...feckin brilliant:D

Nice Mercian also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Coronal wrote: »
    +1. Possibly also other bits (bibs, gloves etc.) of the old kit, if they exist.

The jersey is a jersey.
    The accessories (cap and gloves) are shockingly bad IMHO. Don't go near them.
    Also, I detest the shorts.
    Again. Just my opinion so take with pinch of salt.

I would like a traditional full zip short sleeve jersey, if they were being ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Just a quick question on size... With the existing gear do people find that the size they'd usually get fits them bang-on? For instance, I'm not sure whether I'd be S or M. Anyone else like that and if so, what size did you go for and are you happy that it fits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Just for the record, I'd prefer a traditional one - it keeps things easier for those that want to beep-beep-beep us when they see us. People must be psychic because I usually get lots of beeps, but I don't have a jersey!

I do prefer the look of the original though. It's a good design and if it ain't broke, it doesn't necessarily need fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Raam wrote: »
    velo wrote:
    I want wool!

Edge of a cliff, they push back better... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I agree with the fact that we don't need a new jersey design. I like the one we have. We could try and get a different manufacturer though.

I agree with the fact that we don't need a new jersey design. I like the one we have. We could try and get a different manufacturer though.

Yeah a wooly one,but I do like the design Tom did.

• Advertisement

If wool is so great, why don't professional cyclists wear it?

If wool is so great, why don't professional cyclists wear it?

Because they're too off their faces to know any better.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just for the record, I'd prefer a traditional one - it keeps things easier for those that want to beep-beep-beep us when they see us. People must be psychic because I usually get lots of beeps, but I don't have a jersey!

I do prefer the look of the original though. It's a good design and if it ain't broke, it doesn't necessarily need fixing.

+1.

I would suggest adding the option to the poll, but many of us have already voted, so it'd need a restart.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

I'm lookng forward to getting one of the 'winning jerseys'.
    Liking both leading designs, but colour scheme wise would anyone be interested in a revamp of the existing one? Might create a nice legacy.

I liked how Tom's retained the orange and blue.

But then Daragh's will go better with the official boards bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I can recommend Giordana if it makes any difference - my club is moving from Carvalho to them for our kit needs from this year on and it seems to be a good step up in quality terms (at least from the samples we received prior to designing & ordering).

Very good free design service (which may not be needed if the original Boards design is kept) BUT significant first order required - 30 tops (ls jerseys/ss jerseys/gilets/jackets @ a minimum of 10 of each garment type) & 30 bottoms (Biblongs, bibshorts etc again requiring a minimum of 10 of each type required)

Although if you give Daron in Giordana a buzz and explain the nature of the order maybe he'll be able to do a deal (?) as it's not the same as ordering for a formally structured club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Stick me down for 2 short sleeve full zip jerseys (L), one of both the old and new designs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

New design from new manufacturers!

I'm sick of the old design, and I can't be the only one. It's tasteful (blech!). It's dull. There, I said it. I'm even sure that it's original designer would be in favour of something with a bit more oomphf (that may or may not be a code-word for pink). Besides, kits do change, be they club kit or national strip or whatever. The original boards kit is how the OGs of boards can mark out their seniority as the go backwards through the group at sportives. New faces in new kit will, rightly, be recognised as the blow-ins they surely are, at least until they've demonstrated they're fully conversant with the requisite in-jokes. Then, in due course, the new kit will be replaced with something even more garish and the cycle will repeat.

My case for lobbying for new manufacturers is that I never really liked anything that carvalho made other than the jerseys. Even putting fit issues aside the shorts are not very good, with the chamois being poorer than the Spin11/giordana type and (and this is important) there are issues of transparency. I didn't want to know where certain boardsies stopped shaving, but I did once it started raining...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Edge of a cliff, they push back better... ;)

Ooh yeah!

1250459363SheepShagger1.jpg

Nice Mercian also.

Not as nice as mine though... :)
    niceonetom wrote: »
    New design from new manufacturers!

I'm sick of the old design, and I can't be the only one. It's tasteful (blech!). It's dull. There, I said it. I'm even sure that it's original designer would be in favour of something with a bit more oomphf (that may or may not be a code-word for pink).

I'm by no means obsessed with pink (it's only the bike and sunglasses really), but I also have absolutely no problem with keeping or changing the kit. I can see good reason for both options, and I'm not so attached to my design that I couldn't bear another (better!) one -I may even come up with something to throw into the ring :)
    niceonetom wrote: »
    Besides, kits do change, be they club kit or national strip or whatever. The original boards kit is how the OGs of boards can mark out their seniority as the go backwards through the group at sportives. New faces in new kit will, rightly, be recognised as the blow-ins they surely are, at least until they've demonstrated they're fully conversant with the requisite in-jokes. Then, in due course, the new kit will be replaced with something even more garish and the cycle will repeat.

My case for lobbying for new manufacturers is that I never really liked anything that carvalho made other than the jerseys. Even putting fit issues aside the shorts are not very good, with the chamois being poorer than the Spin11/giordana type and (and this is important) there are issues of transparency. I didn't want to know where certain boardsies stopped shaving, but I did once it started raining...

I apologised for that at the time!

And yes, I think a different manufacturer could have merit too

• Advertisement

I agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eoghan95

ehmm im just wondering when there decided where will they be available from???????????????????:Dlovn the cake 1

I have 10 for the Original so far, if spin11 or Giordana win I'll price them their first and mail everyone on the following list, if Carvalho win then no problems. If anyone is interested, post/PM it ASAP. Post numbers are beside the names in case they wonder where I got this from:

22. CarlosK
    24. Coronal
    30. Captain Havoc
    44. daragh_
    51. Saxobank
    52. leftism
    76. ROK ON
    78. irishmotorist
    PM. keenan110

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have 10 for the Original so far, if spin11 or Giordana win I'll price them their first and mail everyone on the following list, if Carvalho win then no problems. If anyone is interested, post/PM it ASAP. Post numbers are beside the names in case they wonder where I got this from:
    For the original one at least I'd make sure you consider the Carvalho pricing; it is likely to be a fair bit cheaper as they have it already and were cheapest anyway. Most of the kit complaints were about other parts of the kit; there is nothing wrong with the Carvalho jersey other than the weird sizing, now fixed.

Whoever was asking about sizing; I have a recent Carvalho in M, same size as all my other cycling jerseys, and it fits fine.

Carvalho are also most likely to get the jersey order turned around quickly which may be important for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i'm on for another of the original anyway, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'd have another of the original full zip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm interested in an original also (and possibly the new one too).

Are you definately going with Carvalho and their pricing/sizing (this post)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Did the orgional come in short sleeve or just long? Might get one of each depending on the cost.
    Mike

I'm interested in an original also (and possibly the new one too).

Are you definately going with Carvalho and their pricing/sizing (this post)?

not definitely, depends on what the polls give as a final result. I will post the options once I hear back from spin11 and Giordana and their prices but carvalho will pry be the easiest for the old jerseys

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Did the orgional come in short sleeve or just long? Might get one of each depending on the cost.
    Mike

Both, I could be wrong but I think you can get any of the jersey styles on the Carvalho websites list, it was posted earlier as a link, can't remember the post number though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Add me to the original list please:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement