Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poll for Jersey designs 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    No one has said much about spin11, anyone want to make a comment on quality etc. or if they want to get samples.???

I picked up my new (Orwell) club gear by spin11 last night, and the bib shorts seem really well made. Haven't ridden them yet, though I've been using the SS jersey for weeks and it's fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks for all the work.

While we are on the topic of Chamois. I got a pair of shorts from the USA recently that uses a Cytec chamois. Some if the dhb range also use this.
    Apart from the chamois used by Etxeondo it is IMHO the beat chamois I have used.

Rapha also use a cytec pad but it isn't as good as the Panache one. Its too thick, like sitting on a cushion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cutting edge fabrics

Hmm, I wonder is that the message one wants to project?...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    I picked up my new (Orwell) club gear by spin11 last night, and the bib shorts seem really well made. Haven't ridden them yet, though I've been using the SS jersey for weeks and it's fine too.

If we could get a bit of feedback, ASAP, from yourself or anyone else in the club that would be great.

Also thanks to everyone for the offers of help, on the board and PM, you will be called upon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't say the Spin 11 shorts are "very well made" in the sense they are nowhere near my good shorts in terms of comfort. They are basically a cheap pair of shorts and fine for racing. They are probably a bit better however than the Carvalho shorts although the Carvalho shorts I have predate this chamois change. The Carvalho jersey is however very good, certainly as good as the Spin 11 one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't be a fan of the Spin shorts (although all of their other gear is quite good in my experience). Chamois is very thin and the straps are a bit too close together and a kind of scratchy. I thought the Carvalho shorts were better (although the jerseys ill-sized) but I think I have the older version if there has been a recent chamois change. As blorg said, the spin shorts are fine for racing, but I'd prefer something a bit more comfortable for a long day in the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Happy with Carvalho stuff, latest MAD jerseys are a decent fit and find the shorts good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Gavin wrote: »
    Happy with Carvalho stuff, latest MAD jerseys are a decent fit and find the shorts good.
    As I said before, I think they have changed the jersey sizing and it is now more normal since they moved from the numbers to a S/M/L system. I have both an old jersey in I think 10 and a new one in M and the new one is more normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

If we could get a bit of feedback, ASAP, from yourself or anyone else in the club that would be great.

Also thanks to everyone for the offers of help, on the board and PM, you will be called upon :)

Did 100Km in new Orwell spin11 gear on saturday morning. Short were fine. Straps not quite as soft as my bicycle line ones but I always wear a light base layer so didn't bother me. I thought the chamois was very good quality.
    Jersey is good too - thankfully not so stretchy that it goes half way down your arse when pockets are full like zoot jerseys do. Three quarter length zip is good too. The collar tapers down in the middle - I prefer a higher collar but that is a very minor complaint.
    Overall I think it is good gear and would be happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I might be interested in a tri suit, chance of getting 4 more people also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Did 100Km in new Orwell spin11 gear on saturday morning. Short were fine. Straps not quite as soft as my bicycle line ones but I always wear a light base layer so didn't bother me. I thought the chamois was very good quality.
    Jersey is good too - thankfully not so stretchy that it goes half way down your arse when pockets are full like zoot jerseys do. Three quarter length zip is good too. The collar tapers down in the middle - I prefer a higher collar but that is a very minor complaint.
    Overall I think it is good gear and would be happy with it.

I really like the Spin11 jersey, I wear a small and it's a nice fit, perhaps a tad longer than I would like. The sleeves are very grippy though, which is nice when you have twig arms. Got Medium shorts last night and I think I could have done with large, the chamois is a bit too wide but they are quite short and the straps are a bit tighter than I would like. Definite camel toe action going on with the chamois though. One of my favourite pairs of shorts are a 30 euro pair of blue adidas, amazingly comfy shorts.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I might be interested in a tri suit, chance of getting 4 more people also?

NO!!!!

NO!!!!

could be used as a skin suit for TTs...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

NO!!!!

Threaten them with a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Not unless it has sleeves.

Next you'll be asking for a boards man-bra. That cannot be allowed to happen.

The basic problem is that you'd be forcing us into a Rule 24 violation.
    OREC wrote:
    24. One shall NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, associate with triathletes. This cannot be overemphasized!

It's like we all agreed to go get munchies from the 24hr petrol station, then out of nowhere you pull a weapon and start robbing the place. We're guilty by association.

Perhaps there could ba a triathlete-specific design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

niceonetom wrote: »

Next you'll be asking for a boards man-bra. That cannot be allowed to happen.

Ooh man-bra, can I've one of those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This cross-forum pollination mi-larky needs to stop.

Vélo wrote: »
    Ooh man-bra, can I've one of those?

I'm sure you can negotiate a bulk buy from Playtex.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    Not unless it has sleeves.

Short sleeve base layer underneath and you're sorted... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

why don't you use cake or die,
    the now you're cycling, and a few other images on the jerseys,
    sticking with the same colours,
    blue white and orange. no point making them blandish
    incorporate alot of ideas into the jersey as this would then represent the guys and gals on the cycling forum.

hey just an idea :rolleyes:;)

mockler007 wrote: »
    why don't you use cake or die,
    the now you're cycling, and a few other images on the jerseys,
    sticking with the same colours,
    blue white and orange. no point making them blandish
    incorporate alot of ideas into the jersey as this would then represent the guys and gals on the cycling forum.

hey just an idea :rolleyes:;)

Hows this one:

boardjersey.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think a big hand should be given to everyone who put in a design (including TinyExplosions who designed the original)
    - Daragh_
    - Bluefoam
    - niceonetom
    - Caroline_ie
    - Hermy
    Just to clarify - I didn't design the Blue Wool jersey but thanks for including it.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Just to clarify - I didn't design the Blue Wool jersey but thanks for including it.:)

My bad, I seen you posted it and jumped to conclusions, I do love wool though

The decision has been made, anyone with a problem with it will have to suck it. Just a note on the manufacturers before hand, to give credit where credit is due, and take it away where its not.

Capo Forma: Good response time and friendly. Everyone tells me there top quality. The reason for against is quite simply, no votes and too expensive.

Woolistic: I love wool and their designs look fantastic. Anyone I have heard of ordering from them has been delighted. Downsides, only 3 people like wool, most people would have turned their backs on a wool jersey and Jeez were they expensive

Velotec: No response and very little info, a few said they were good on the thread but not enough to go on.

Spin11: Very helpful, even the stupidest questions were answered quickly. To be honest I think my only gripe was the price and that may be harsh. they gave me quick and informative replies. The reason in the end for losing was cost and just being pipped in votes

Giordana: Reports of good quality but I've had more response from, well any descriptive terms I use hear would be inappropriate, so in terms of civility, I'll say a potato.

Watts Custom: Got the samples Monday evening, nice chamois, like my favorite Santinis. Jerseys and jackets were good quality. The gardai picked their shorts. Their sizes are a little smaller than expected. My favourite in terms of customer response, I'm going to sound like a fanboy but I respect Quality customer service and would happily recommend anyone to try them out. The only reason I did not choose them is that only one person responded to my calls to try them out and alas he could not make it. Therefore I ain't shouldering the blame if people ain't satisfied, I am not an expert and will not try to be.

Carvalho: + points: Good customer service, responded well to my ask for a reduction in cost, they have the original designs, they won by votes.
    - points: While they're chamois sounds fine, i haven't tried it and have no real world reviews so its a risk.

So that's it: Caravalho wins, spreadsheets will be posted tomorrow evening, lists will be posted as well, I'll set out the rules, deadlines etc.

For those looking for times for the kit to be sent, it's 7 weeks from acceptance of order, that includes them taking the sketches, seeing they can get it done satisfactorily and then paying them. So, I'm provisionally going to say 60 to 70 days, but will shoulder no blame if that is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Grand. I'll try and get hold of the Carvalho templates and get yiz mock-ups of everything by Thursday/Friday.

Thanks again CramCycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

daragh_ wrote: »
    Grand. I'll try and get hold of the Carvalho templates and get yiz mock-ups of everything by Thursday/Friday.

Thanks again CramCycle.

go here, and scroll to the bottom for templates in any format you want!

Rules and explanations:

1: There are 2 prices for each item as I have been told that Pay Pal charge a commission. The first price in the spread sheet is the Bank transfer one and the second is the PayPal price (approximately 2 euro per item). If Paypal don't charge a commission then we can use the bank price.

2: Any money left over from the above will go one of three ways: (1) If I’m completely wrong, the money will be given back to you (2) if it’s a tiny amount, I’m buying a pint (3) If it’s in between and it costs too much to send it back to you or its more hassle than it’s worth I will donate it to a charity of my choosing in the boards cycling forum name. I want no discussion on the charity as I won’t be swayed from my decision, all charities are essentially worthwhile, so it’ll be good regardless of the destination. Once money is paid in, that’s it, if you change your mind, there is nothing I will/can do about it. Might change sizes before the order is submitted but that’s the height of it.

3: I will be sending a excel spreadsheet round by e-mail. Everyone on the list will get a PM with my mail by tomorrow morning. I will post up the prices here as well so if you haven’t decided, it may help you one way or another. When you get my mail, email me and i will forward you the spreadsheet to fill in. This is so I can collate Numbers etc. Easier. New and Old designs are the same price.

4. Sizing details are to be found at : http://www.carvalhocustom.com/downloads/carvalhocustom_sizing.pdf
    If there are any problems with this sizing mail me and I will get back to you if they can accommodate you.

5. From now on if you want to get your name on the list, PM me your e-mail and I will send you a spreadsheet, I don’t need details, the spreadsheet will take care of that. Just ask for the spread sheet.
    NB no spreadsheet, no order, I don’t have time to read through a thread and organising sizes etc. Sorry.

6. Cut Off date: Daragh_ (who we should all give great thanks too) will be posting up the final designs as soon as he has a chance. Once he has done this I will forward them onto Caravalho for preparation. I’m provisionally call the cut off date at: 10AM 27/4/10. That should give everyone time to check the designs over the weekend. Unless there is a delay with getting the designs or something else crops up, nothing will be accepted after this point.

7. When you pay please leave the following details: Name and Boards ID, if i don’t know who paid in the money I can’t order their gear.

8: When the gear arrives, I’ll mail you with possible collection times. If there is someone you know collecting, I can give it to them. I work in town in the evenings and in Belfield or Tallaght during the day. Near there and I can drop it in. We can sort this out at a later time though as this will be ages away.

9: No tri gear. Lumen said NO, and I have to obey. I personally have nothing against triathletes but this is for cycling gear (I know alot of people do). Also there is a minimum order of ten on those things.

Hope this works

9: No tri gear. Lumen said NO, and I have to obey. I personally have nothing against triathletes but this is for cycling gear (I know alot of people do). Also there is a minimum order of ten on those things.

I was only joking, but it's your order so you can do as you wish :)

New # Name
    21 Crumliniano
    22 CarlosK
    24 Coronal
    29 Saxobank
    43 sideshowbob23
    85 sleepy holland
    87 leftism
    105 LastGasp
    106 Beasty
    148 kemase
    166 mike12
    174 spyderski
    175 needmoregears
    179 weaselman
    180 stokolan
    188 souter
    193 Vélo
    194 lyders
    198 tfrancer
    199 keenan110
    202 ten speed racer
    203 Lumen
    204 Raam
    209 ROK ON
    PM manafana
    210 Blorg
    211 Carolin_IE
    212 austinbyrne21
    214 ajk24
    215 niceonetom
    218 The tax man
    219 kenmc
    229 davidoc
    231 garminguy
    247 scheister
    Old # Name
    22 CarlosK
    24 Coronal
    30 Captain Havoc
    44 daragh_
    51 Saxobank
    52 leftism
    76 ROK ON
    78 irishmotorist
    PM keenan110
    PM austinbyrne21
    95 Neitzchean
    96 edwinireland
    97 RobertFoster
    98 mike12
    101 Lethal_Bullet
    102 cdaly_
    103 honkjelly
    104 crumliniano
    106 Beasty
    107 Super Freak
    109 Signal_rabbit
    121 kensutz
    148 kemase
    180 Stokolan

• Advertisement

Google docs spreadsheet is probably a better bet than sending round a spreadsheet file by PM/email. We've used it before and it didn't get abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Another little FYI on paypal: From memory refunds are free:)

Google docs spreadsheet is probably a better bet than sending round a spreadsheet file by PM/email. We've used it before and it didn't get abused.

Will do, have it up this evening.

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Nice one! will there be a space for custom sizing?

Will do, have it up this evening.

Actually I remember why I didn't do this. Not that anyone is shy but in case sizes, specific changes are needed. This way I don't embarrass anyone or people don't get slightly wrong sizes. So I'd prefer it. It's not a spreadsheet you pass around. You just edit it and send it back and I add it to my master one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fair dinkum for organising this.

One thing that was handy before was seeing how many people are ordering each item. From memory, there is a premium if we don't reach a certain number of a particular garment. So I want a gilet, but not if I have to pay excess for it. Others might be encouraged to order if they have visibility on amounts. Am I making sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

+1 on google spreadsheet

If I could be added to de list for new as well please!

Raam wrote: »
    Fair dinkum for organising this.

One thing that was handy before was seeing how many people are ordering each item. From memory, there is a premium if we don't reach a certain number of a particular garment. So I want a gilet, but not if I have to pay excess for it. Others might be encouraged to order if they have visibility on amounts. Am I making sense?

I hadn't actually included a Gilet. Minimum order on any one piece is 10, regardless of size. 20% surcharge if it's 5-9 pieces and 50% charges if it's under 5. I'll add it into the spread sheet before I mail it. I'll throw up a uneditable google doc with the numbers in a day or two, when I start getting replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

I wonder if I could get some tri gear? And also, I'd prefer the vintage wool jersey and I want it in Spin11. Also, I'm maybe a S or M - what do you reckon? And could I order socks of the original gear? And when will I get it??:D

Just kidding obviously. Thanks again CramCycle and Darragh_ for going above and beyond, cracking stuff from you's!! It's all very well laid out, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Great work Cram and Daragh.

I've pm'd you my email but stick me on the list as well as I'll be ordering.

Graham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Can we get a new thread made for orders? This one is very chaotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Gavin wrote: »
    +1 on google spreadsheet

If I could be added to de list for new as well please!

Me too

Perhaps there could ba a triathlete-specific design.

Like this:
    future_triathlete_baby_boy_shirt_01-p235319051110034309stvj_400.jpg

Nice one! will there be a space for custom sizing?

Yep, included on the spreadsheet, will be forwarded in the morning.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Can we get a new thread made for orders? This one is very chaotic.

I don't know why it's getting Chaotic. I said to PM your email to me and I will send you the spreadsheet (includes sizing, prices, payment details etc.). There is no need to post anything about ordering up. I will post a link for a google docs spread sheet over the weekend so people get an idea of numbers but there is no need to add anything about orders on to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

kensutz wrote: »
    Me too

And me. PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I said to PM your email to me and I will send you the spreadsheet

Rules post here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ok just to ask a(maybe stupid) question ....but my head hurts from trying to organise buses /trains for the last 36 hrs and watching a low quality screen res of Fleche Wallone and I really dont want to re-read the whole thread again
    BUT
    how much are we looking (ball park figure) for the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Rules and explanations:
    7. When you pay please leave the following details: Name and Boards ID, if i don’t know who paid in the money I can’t order their gear.

Sorry for the stupid question but where exactly do we leave these details?

Thanks again for all the work!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

keenan110 wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question but where exactly do we leave these details?

Thanks again for all the work!:)

When your paying my paypal you leave them in the narrative section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

alfalad wrote: »
    When your paying my paypal you leave them in the narrative section

Thanks!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement