Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trying all sorts to keep deposit

Options
  • 13-04-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Just want to relate what happened to me today. Moved out of a property on 20/03/10. We had been there for almost 18 months, under a lease.
    FINALLY today, after dodging texts and calls from me, the Landlord says he's available to return the deposit and to meet me at the house immediately (no problem, as it's only 5 minutes from my work).

So we're in the property. Begin conversation:
    LL: "About return of deposit - you paid one month's rent in advance, so I owe you that. Rent was e1,300 p/m so that's fine, for starters."
    Me: "Deposit was e1,350, as we secured a rent reduction to e1,300, so you owe me e1,350." (luckily I had a copy of the lease on me, so no disputes there).
    LL not happy, but agrees that he owes e1,350.

Then: refund of e225 for painting of the hall, which LL wanted done before we moved out because he "didn't like the colour" (HE had painted it that colour!!). LL disputed that he would pay that back, since it "constituted wear and tear".
    Stood my ground - LL had requested the painting for cosmetic reasons and had said he would pay for it.

Then: deduct e200 for professional cleaning, since there was a cobweb (I reached up and put it in my pocket - voila: no cobweb any more :D).
    But LL then goes on, "you know, it's a bit dusty and not lettable in its current condition without a professional clean". WTF!!! I moved out almost a month ago and he's complaining of dust?!? And he's already let the place - people moving in this weekend ("unlettable in its current condition my ar$e).

Anyway, I know the law and my rights in relation to the deposit (thank you boards and AAM!), so detailed the circumstances when monies could be withheld from a deposit, and that cleaning is NOT one of them. LL VERY begrudgingly agreed that he "would let that go, then".

When LL finally wrote out a cheque for the correct amount, my name is not on the cheque (luckily I did check it before I left and got him to correct it).
    So now I'm just praying to Goodness that he doesn't cancel the cheque before I can lodge it and it clears.

Sorry, very long post, and no real question, just wanted to point out:
    If I was foreign and wasn't aware of my rights/the law, my landlord could've conceivably just 'stolen' almost a third of MY money.
    Something has to be done about the attitudes of some Landlords - ie some of them have a false sense of entitlement towards other people's money. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agree wholeheartedly.

Well done!

This is a very common problem; see Threshold's appeal here.

http://www.threshold.ie/

If you look at the dispute list on prtb, most of the cases are about witholding deposits with no reason.

A deposit protection scheme, and they have this already in eg Australia, would prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Have you lodged it yet? Id do it ASAP

There is no incentive to regulate the renting market properly in this country because the powers that be want us buying houses.
    "rent is dead money!!" nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Phew! Cheque cleared. :D
    That was a tense few days.

Advertisement