Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student working abroad for summer

• 13-04-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi, I'll be working abroad for the summer, and not paying tax there because I'm tax resident in Ireland. When I come back, do I have to inform the tax office of the earnings, or is it OK since I'm only working for such a short time? I don't have a part-time job during the rest of the year. I'll only earn around 6k so I figure I won't even reach my tax credit limit. But I'm not sure if I still need to have it official that I had earnings. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭TaxingTimes

Yes, you should complete a tax return to declare this income, even if you have no tax liability.

What country are you working in? What will you be doing? They should operate some sort of PAYE - although you may be under their limits for tax, but you will probably have to pay some sort of social security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Adelie

OK, thanks, I will look into the tax return when I'm back. I'll be working at a university in Spain. It's required that I have my own private medical insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I don't want to hijack this thread but I will be working in the UK for the summer (an internship) and earning about the same amount as the OP. Would it be best to set up a UK bank account and get paid into that, then transfer the money to my Irish account when I finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Adelie

Another question - this time about getting proof of Irish tax residency, which my employer in Spain requested.

I went to the Revenue to get a certificate to say that I'm tax resident in Ireland, but I'm a student and my income is a scholarship and therefore I don't pay tax on it. So the last time I actually paid tax in Ireland was in 2006. So the Revenue won't give me a certificate. Basically, they don't want my tax, despite the fact I've lived here all my life!

Does this mean I have no choice but to pay tax in Spain instead? Or is there any way for a student to officially state they want to be tax resident here?

Advertisement