Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Team of the Season

• 13-04-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Ok first off I normally hate these threads. But I was thinking about this yesterday.. Probably not a good sign. Anyway I came to the conclusion (with myself) that this season it is a lot harder to pick a top 11 based on form this season in the PL.

After much consideration (again with myself) this is the team I came up with -

GK - Joe Hart - Possibly one of the hardest positions to pick owing to the good form of a lot of keepers this season. Sorenson, Given and Gordan have also been fairly solid all season.

LB - Patrice Evra - In my opinion only really between himself and Ashley Cole and cole's been injured for a vast period this season. Although Evra hasn't always been at his best can't think of anyone else that challenges him.

RB - Glen Johnson - A lot better going forward than going backwards and doing his defensive duties. Still had a very good debut season for the Pool.

CB - Thomas Vermaelan - Another great debutant. Slotted into the Arsenal back four seamlessly. And a big threat when he runs forward.

CB - Richard Dunne - Man City were wrong to let him go. Had a great season for Villa despite always being prone to a defensive lap. Will put his body on the line.

LM - Florent Malouda - Has had his finest season thus far for Chelsea. Despite a few season's of mediocrity I think he's been top drawer this season and cemented the left wing position as his own.

RM - James Milner - Always thought he had promise but this season, especially the first half, he has been amazing. Tends to go missing in some games but has to included in the England squad.

CM - Alex Song - Another player who is vastly improved this term. Has to be now considered as one of the best defensive midfielders in the prem. And still young.

CM - Cesc Fabregas - He's half decent

CF - Wayne Rooney - Has always been highly influential for united. The thing he's added this term is goals. Almost first player to be included in this team. Has to be up for major personal honours come the end of the season.

CF - Carlos Tevez - Had a much imporved second half to the season than the first, in terms of goals at least. It was a toss up between himself and Drogba although honourable mentions go to Darren Bent and Bobby Zomora.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tough to pick alright.

Hart
    Ivanovic--Dunne--Vermaelen-Evra-
    Milner---Fabregas-Lampard-Malouda

Rooney
    Drogba

That took me about 60 seconds so feel free to criticise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Got agree with OP only +Fabregas.
    Not sure bout RM either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Reina
    Ivanovic
    R.Johnson
    Dunne
    Evra
    Huddlestone
    Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

any team without Cesc, Rooney and Drogba is wrong, just to get that out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sútalún wrote: »
    Ok first off I normally hate these threads. But I was thinking about this yesterday.. Probably not a good sign. Anyway I came to the conclusion (with myself) that this season it is a lot harder to pick a top 11 based on form this season in the PL.

After much consideration (again with myself) this is the team I came up with -

GK - Joe Hart - Possibly one of the hardest positions to pick owing to the good form of a lot of keepers this season. Sorenson, Given and Gordan have also been fairly solid all season.

LB - Patrice Evra - In my opinion only really between himself and Ashley Cole and cole's been injured for a vast period this season. Although Evra hasn't always been at his best can't think of anyone else that challenges him.

RB - Glen Johnson - A lot better going forward than going backwards and doing his defensive duties. Still had a very good debut season for the Pool.

CB - Thomas Vermaelan - Another great debutant. Slotted into the Arsenal back four seamlessly. And a big threat when he runs forward.

CB - Richard Dunne - Man City were wrong to let him go. Had a great season for Villa despite always being prone to a defensive lap. Will put his body on the line.

LM - Florent Malouda - Has had his finest season thus far for Chelsea. Despite a few season's of mediocrity I think he's been top drawer this season and cemented the left wing position as his own.

RM - I've been thinking and thinking.. And can't discover a right winger that's stood out. Anyone any suggestions???

CM - Alex Song - Another player who is vastly improved this term. Has to be now considered as one of the best defensive midfielders in the prem. And still young.

CM - James Milner - Always thought he had promise but this season, especially the first half, he has been amazing. Tends to go missing in some games but has to included in the England squad.

CF - Wayne Rooney - Has always been highly influential for united. The thing he's added this term is goals. Almost first player to be included in this team. Has to be up for major personal honours come the end of the season.

CF - Carlos Tevez - Had a much imporved second half to the season than the first, in terms of goals at least. It was a toss up between himself and Drogba although honourable mentions go to Darren Bent and Bobby Zomora.

Very good team, hard to argue with you. I do think Reina could potentially be the goalkeeper though and Torres should at least get an honorable mention. 22 goals in about 26 starts (32 appearances) despite his injuries. Probably has the best goals to games ratio in the league ? Although it would be weird to have two Liverpool players in a team of the season considering how bad they have been as a group.

Case could also be argued for Drogba above Tevez also.

Malouda definitely gets the 'most improved' award also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

OP just stick Milner at right mid and put Fabregas in the middle.

Milner played the first half of the season out on the right anyways didnt he?

• Advertisement

Molouda - Lampard - Fabregas - Valencia

Rooney - Drogba

Midfield and strikers anyway!

Rooney is my player of the year hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Pienaar for right wing. Disagree with Glen Johnson being in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Reina
    Ivanovic--Dunne--Vermaelen--Evra
    Valencia--Fabregas--Lampard--Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

SlickRic wrote: »

Reina
    Ivanovic
    R.Johnson
    Dunne
    Evra
    Huddlestone
    Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

any team without Cesc, Rooney and Drogba is wrong, just to get that out of the way.

I'd go along similar lines to this ^

Hart
    Ivanovic
    Dawson
    Dunne
    Evra
    Valencia
    Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

I expect Vermaelen will be picked by a lot of people, but I think if you look past his early season goals that he has been poor enough. I think he gets caught out of position a good bit, this has become more obvious recently with the absence of Gallas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

baz2009 wrote: »

Reina
    Valencia--Fabregas--Lampard--Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

I have to say, that's looking about right to me.

Some people might throw someone else in CM instead of Lampard but he's had another great season.
    Hard to argue with Valencia wide right.
    Reina would be run clsoe by Joe Hart but probably deserves it.
    Ivanovic > Johnson I'd agree with too.

Yep, pretty much spot on for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

joe123 wrote: »
    OP just stick Milner at right mid and put Fabregas in the middle.

Milner played the first half of the season out on the right anyways didnt he?

Yeah that's what I thought afterwards. I'm an Arsenal fan I probably let my Arsenal bias but not wanting to be biased prevent me from putting Song and Fabregas in!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hart

Ivanovic--Dunne--Vermealen--Evra

Song

Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda

Tevez
    Rooney

Drogba

Subs: Reina, G.Johnson, R.Johnson, Lampard, Valencia, Bent, Zamora

yes im taking liberty with the formation but i think i fit the best players into that i could going by their season.

o and i added 12 players :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GK - Hart
    RB - Ivanovic
    CB - Vermaelan
    CB - Can't think at the moment
    LB - Evra(Cole if he didn't get injured)
    RM - Milner
    CM - Lampard
    CM - Fabregas
    LM - Malouda
    CF - Drogba
    CF - Rooney

Hart

Ivanovic--Dunne--Vermealen--Evra

Song

Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda

Tevez
    Rooney

Drogba

Subs: Reina, G.Johnson, R.Johnson, Lampard, Valencia, Bent, Zamora

yes im taking liberty with the formation but i think i fit the best players into that i could going by their season.

You have 12 players :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'd go along similar lines to this ^

Hart
    Ivanovic
    Dawson
    Dunne
    Evra
    Valencia
    Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

I expect Vermaelen will be picked by a lot of people, but I think if you look past his early season goals that he has been poor enough. I think he gets caught out of position a good bit, this has become more obvious recently with the absence of Gallas.

Dawson constantly does too. I think he's a fairly solid player but there's a reason he's never got an international cap.

Lol, good spot.

Now, that would be the team of the season !!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hart

Ivanovich - Shawcross - Dunne - Evra

Valencia - Milner - Fabregas - Malouda

Rooney - Drogba

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

fast but not fast enough i edited one minute before you posted, thats the 12 best performaning plaers so far imo though its hard to drop one of them esp im midfield and upfront

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lack of reina in these lists is baffling. he has been really outstanding this season. harte has been very good this season, but not better than one of the best in the world, having his best season yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

lennon for right mid anyone?

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lack of reina in these lists is baffling. he has been really outstanding this season. harte has been very good this season, but not better than one of the best in the world, having his best season yet.

aw Al, when i saw you'd posted, i was hoping for a bit of this...

Reina
    Johnson
    Agger
    Carragher
    Insua
    Mascherano
    Lucas
    Benayoun
    Gerrard
    Maxi
    Torres

;):D:p

Dawson constantly does too. I think he's a fairly solid player but there's a reason he's never got an international cap.

I would have agreed in previous seasons but I think he has been immense this season, he has really stepped up as a leader in the 3rd best defence in the league

+1 for Reina.

Getting better every year too.

RustySpoon wrote: »
    lennon for right mid anyone?

He's been injured for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If Lennon hadn't been injured since December he'd have rm sewn up he's been very unlucky.

3 goals and 9 assits up to December

I would have agreed in previous seasons but I think he has been immense this season, he has really stepped up as a leader in the 3rd best defence in the league

Yeah possibly.. I mean his last ditch/recovery tackling is second to none it's just, from what I've seen he seems to get caught out a lot. But then he's got a great pass on him. Something Vermaelan doesn't utilize as much. Not much in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

But then he's got a great pass on him. Something Vermaelan doesn't utilize as much.

Vermaelen is the epitome of a ball playing centre back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Reina
    Ivanovic
    R.Johnson
    Dunne
    Evra
    Huddlestone
    Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda
    Rooney
    Drogba

This team really. Would possibly put in Song for Huddlestone though.

Joe Hart can count himself unlucky, as can the likes of Duff, Tevez, Zamora, Valencia and Vermaelen.

aw Al, when i saw you'd posted, i was hoping for a bit of this...

Reina
    Johnson
    Agger
    Carragher
    Insua
    Mascherano
    Lucas
    Benayoun
    Gerrard
    Maxi
    Torres

;):D:p
    Leave Gerrard out and you might be onto something ;) in all seriousness, i'm not nearly as biased as people think i am!

• Advertisement

If Mascherano hadn't been poor for the fist few months of the season he'd have been a shoe-in for the defensive midfield spot tbh. Possibly the hardest position to pick this season, simply for the lack of any outstanding performers there throughout the league.

Leave Gerrard out and you might be onto something ;) in all seriousness, i'm not nearly as biased as people think i am!

ha, you know i'm only pulling your leg.

i had to say it, because i was genuinely intrigued as to how many Pool players you'd have the minute i saw you posted.

your reputation continues to precede you. good on ya. ;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    This team really. Would possibly put in Song for Huddlestone though.

Joe Hart can count himself unlucky, as can the likes of Duff, Tevez, Zamora, Valencia and Vermaelen.

i just wanted a bit of a mix to be honest.

i felt it important to recognise Brum's defensive form for much of the season, hence Roger Johnson getting the nod.

Huddlestone was a toughy. Masch, Song and Fletcher all had good shouts, but i really like Huddlestone as a player, and i think with Malouda, is one of the most improved players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If Mascherano hadn't been poor for the fist few months of the season he'd have been a shoe-in for the defensive midfield spot tbh. Possibly the hardest position to pick this season, simply for the lack of any outstanding performers there throughout the league.
    If Fellaini hadn't been injured he'd be a shoe in IMO. Has come on an unbelievable amount.

Voltwad wrote: »
    If Fellaini hadn't been injured he'd be a shoe in IMO. Has come on an unbelievable amount.

Actually totally forgot him, hes been abeast. Would love to see him at Utd to be honest, hes still only a kid. More than Rodwell, who's been persistenly linked.

Another whos had a great year is Bellamy.

Another whos had a great year is Bellamy.

actually yes.

if Malouda hadn't had an awesome 2010 so far, Bellamy would be an absolute shoo-in, and even so, it's very close. i had forgotten about Bellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Friedal

Dunne---R Johnson
    Carr
    Evra
    Fabregas----Milner
    Valencia
    Pienaar
    Rooney----Drogba

Subs:Reina, Vermalen, Baines, Lampard,
    A Young, Bent, Defoe

Song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lol @ Glen Johnson tbh.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lol @ Glen Johnson tbh.
    The injury rules him out imo, however, he has been brilliant for us.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lol @ Glen Johnson tbh.

He missed 1/3 of the season so that rules him out in fairness.

LOL @ Dunne tbh, he's been shocking lately.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    LOL @ Dunne tbh, he's been shocking lately.

more Villa in general i think, than Dunne personally.

he was pretty much MOTM v Bolton a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

GK: Sorenson- Been quite good for Stoke who are a good defensive side.

CB:Cahill- Was Bolton's main player when Megson was around, got Injured and everyone thought he'd miss the rest of the season but he has recovered well and is back playing

CB:Vermaelen- Great signing, has helped Arsenal majorly in the air, considering how bad Toure and Gallas were and has popped up with some good goals and even a few assists.

CB:Givet- I haven't seen a huge amount of him but he is a top CB and is probably to good for Blackburn.

RM:Milner- Top player who constantly moves around during matches, starts at CM but regulalrly appears on the flank.

LM:Malouda- Come on leaps and bounds, top player on and off the ball.

CM:Lampard-Bit of a twat but still a top player, good goal getter.

CM:Fabregas- Another great player, huge for ARsenal in goals and assists. Becoming a great Captain.

ST:Drogba- Powerful and clinical, danger at any moment and good for some light relief.

ST:Rooney- United's key player and IMHO the man that has kept them in the race this season.

St: Tevez- Great work rate and great football, lot's of goals to boot.

12 players there peabutler :)

No there isn't I swear....:(:P

a goalie who has been 'quite' good, gets into your team? very strange.

a goalie who has been 'quite' good, gets into your team? very strange.
    Highest scoring goalie in fantasy football :D

I'm a kepeer myself and TBh I think this has been a poor year for Keeping, Joe Hart has been erratic and although he will be class in a few years he is still making a few silly errors, Friedel is top but sometimes shows his age, where as Sorensen for me has been quite good and extremely consistent, except when Figueroa lobbed him.

ah that explains it so. ridiculous still, but at least there's some logic to it.

peabutler wrote: »
    I'm a kepeer myself and TBh I think this has been a poor year for Keeping, Joe Hart has been erratic and although he will be class in a few years he is still making a few silly errors, Friedel is top but sometimes shows his age, where as Sorensen for me has been quite good and extremely consistent, except when Figueroa lobbed him.
    Reina has been consistently excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Reina

Song

---Milner
    Cesc
    Malouda

Drogba
    Rooney

• Advertisement
Advertisement